Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smells like Nirvana with Paradox and Screenreader - A Tribute to Kurt Cobain

Options
  • 13-03-2015 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey everyone,
    Pete here from Cork Alternative Rock band Paradox. After a successful set of shows in Cork and Galway last year marking the 20th anniversary of Kurt Cobain we have decided to do something similar again this year with fellow Cork Rockers Screenreader.

Below are the dates and more info :)

Smells like Nirvana with Paradox and Screenreader.

- Sat. April 11th - DeBarra's Folk Club, Clonakilty, West Cork
    - Fri. April 17th - Cobblestone Joes, Limerick
    - Sat. April 25th - Crane Lane Theatre, Cork City

Doors 9pm and it's Free Admission.

After a successful set of shows marking the 20th anniversary of Kurt Cobain in 2014 Cork based Alternative Rockers Paradox and Screenreader are back with a full set of Nirvana classics and more. Paradox recently launched their 4th album to date titled 'Chapters' which has been gaining momentum since it's release in January. Screenreader singer, guitarist Brian Casey has been responsible for all mixing and mastering of the new Paradox album when he is not playing his own music at Wavefield Recording Studios in Bantry. Although both Paradox and Screenreader's Brian Casey have varied their sound over the years their roots lie in the Grunge Era of the 90's which all started with the music of Nirvana. Nirvana exploded into the mainstream in 1991 after the release of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' from their multi platinum album Nevermind. Ironically Nirvana kicked off their European Tour right here in Cork on August 20th 1991. The gig took place in Sir Henry's, a venue which closed its doors for the final time in 2003, and was headlined by Sonic Youth. Nirvana were virtually unknown at this point but it was only a matter of weeks after this show that the band snowballed after the success of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and became one of the world's biggest bands, almost overnight. It has also recently been revealed that Kurt has direct roots from Cork as Kurt quoted himself :: "Actually it was Cobain, but the Coburns screwed it up when they came over . They came from Country Cork, which is a really weird coincidence, because when we toured Ireland, we played in Cork and the entire day I walked around in a daze. I'd never felt more spiritual in my life. It was the weirdest feeling and-I have a friend who was with me who could testify to this-I was almost in tears the whole day. Since that tour, which was bout two years ago, I've had some sense that I was from Ireland." Nirvana popularized a subgenre of alternative rock which was labeled Grunge. The band reached a whole new generation and defined a new age in popular music throughout the 90's. Nirvana was considered the flagship band of Generation X, and frontman Cobain found himself reluctantly anointed by the media as the generation's "spokesman. Although Nirvana's success and Kurt's life was short lived they left behind a legacy of music, 3 full length studio albums, B-sides and much more.. Join Cork bands Paradox and Screenreader on Saturday April 11th at DeBarra's Folk Club in Clonakilty, Friday April 17th at Cobblestone Joes in Limerick and Saturday April 25th at the Crane Lane Theatre in Cork as they remember Nirvana's music and legacy playing some Nirvana classics from Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero and many more.
    Doors 9pm and it's Free Admission.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 paradoxrock

First of 3 shows this month celebrating the music of Nirvana kicking off next Saturday, April 11th at our favourite venue DeBarra's Folk Club in Clonakilty, West Cork. Doors roughly 9pm and yep it's Free Adm. Lots of Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero and much more in the bag. If the turn out is anything like last year it's gonna be a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 paradoxrock

The Grand Finale of our mini tour with Screenreader playing the music of Nirvana , everything from Bleach, Nevermind, In Utero and much more - Next Sat. April 25th at Crane Lane Theatre, Cork. Doors roughly 8.30pm and it's FREE Adm.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Any chance of a Dublin gig? I saw you play De Barras Clon on a weekend a few weeks back and really enjoyed it.

Advertisement