Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venison Roast

Options
  • 13-03-2015 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

A good friend of my wife has earlier this evening given us what looks like a very lean venison roast. About 2kg. It looks like Mother's Day is covered. I'm looking for the best way to cook this. Never done venison before.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved to Cooking & Recipes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Any idea of the cut? On or off the bone?

I have done haunch (600g~) a few times. Seared on a hot cast iron skillet then in the oven at 200 for 30 mins yielding a medium rare. Make sure to rest it.

I have done it by wrapping in bacon and roasting but TBH wasn't as nice as the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Brine for 24 hours in a 10% salt solution

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Rew wrote: »
    Any idea of the cut? On or off the bone?

I have done haunch (600g~) a few times. Seared on a hot cast iron skillet then in the oven at 200 for 30 mins yielding a medium rare. Make sure to rest it.

I have done it by wrapping in bacon and roasting but TBH wasn't as nice as the above.

Off the bone. Also rolled. Hard to tell the cut.

Advertisement