Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macturcaills gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nirvana999

Living abroad... update on Mac Turks ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Nirvana999 wrote: »
    Living abroad... update on Mac Turks ???

Still closed, doesn't look to be anything happening there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

Posters up on the inside of the windows saying "re-opening soon".

Think they're a recent addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

khamilto wrote: »
    Posters up on the inside of the windows saying "re-opening soon".

Think they're a recent addition.

Been there about 2 weeks. I walk by there at least once a day and haven't seen any work going on since those signs went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

I know I'm bumping a very old thread but does anyone know what is happening with this place? The opening soon signs still hanging just about :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

dougee19 wrote: »
    I know I'm bumping a very old thread but does anyone know what is happening with this place? The opening soon signs still hanging just about :P

It's just lying there empty, a pity. Used to be a great pub for after work pints, also quite a few of us miss the big bowl of wings they used to do.

Anyone know where the chef went at least ??? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

There's an article in The Dublin Inquirer about whats going on with the pub at the moment:

http://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/09/06/whats-happening-macturcaills-pub/

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

So it might be turned into another craft beer pub, fook sake...................

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Buckfast W wrote: »

Better than another feckin Starbucks!!

:pac:

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Better than another feckin Starbucks!!

:pac:

Or a craft beer pub with a Starbucks section, the horror...:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

rates of €130,000 owed aswell, dublin city council wont give a fook about doing a deal on the rates and this place opening again.

Or a craft beer pub with a Starbucks section, the horror...:eek::eek::eek:

And the food is avocado burrittos

matrim wrote: »
    And the food is avocado burrittos

Sounds like something from one of the saw movies :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

What's the problem with that? You can drink your Heineken or whatever in any other pub in the city.

What's the problem with that? You can drink your Heineken or whatever in any other pub in the city.

I really wish this was the case, I usually drink pints of Bud but I've noticed that more and more places have gotten rid of it in favour of a craft beer tap, ones off the top of my head are Peadar Kearneys, Bowes, Brogans and the Woolshed. But as soon as the Hipsters get a taste for it I'll be back in business :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bud is falling in popularity as its extremely poor quality - cheaply made adjunct lager made from rice; and because Diageo are promoting their own lager HH13 more - not because of hipsters or craft beer (the two things are separate).

L1011 wrote: »
    Bud is falling in popularity as its extremely poor quality - cheaply made adjunct lager made from rice; and because Diageo are promoting their own lager HH13 more - not because of hipsters or craft beer (the two things are separate).

Ah but this was before the whole HH13 stuff started to take off and become sooooooo popular. And to say that Bud is a extremely poor quality of beer is a personal taste, I like it. People seem to be under the impression that because something is a craft beer then its automatically better. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I,d hardly called Hop House a "craft" beer.. Its a mass produced beer the same as bud, carlsberg, smithwicks or heineken been pushed massively by guiness whove let the ad men use flowery words and slogans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

The problem is that people you're drinking with will want one or the other. Pubs should cater for both

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The vast, vast majority of pubs in Dublin still mainly have the usual beers on tap.

God forbid we find ourselves with more than a handful of pubs offering a choice of beer other than weak lager and nitro stout. But yeah, hipsters and stuff.

• Advertisement

Actually Iv'e been in quite a few pubs where they only sell craft beer and nothing else the Headline is a good example of this or the Galway breweries pubs, however most pubs that don't nail there colours to the mast will have what I'd consider the normal beers and a selection of craft beers, eveyones a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Yeah, yeah, because Heineken and the likes are really disappearing fast under the onslaught of beard-stroker brews. :pac:
    Actually Iv'e been in quite a few pubs where they only sell craft beer and nothing else the Headline is a good example of this or the Galway breweries pubs.

So you've based this alarming conclusion on 5 or 6 pubs in the entire city centre?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Actually Iv'e been in quite a few pubs where they only sell craft beer and nothing else the Headline is a good example of this or the Galway breweries pubs
    We'll have a problem when any of those pubs don't have any mainstream beers pouring within a two-minute walk of the front door. Until then, it's all choice and all good.

BeerNut wrote: »
    We'll have a problem when any of those pubs don't have any mainstream beers pouring within a two-minute walk of the front door. Until then, it's all choice and all good.

Yeah but whats the issue of all these pubs doing something a bit mainstream for us Bud lovers :mad: some of the "craft beers" on offer are just mass produced beers from another country, Fischers is a good example.

TLDR Hands off my Bud, bud!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah but what's the issue of all these new burger joints doing something a bit mainstream for us Big Mac lovers :mad:

Yeah but whats the issue of all these pubs doing something a bit mainstream for us Bud lovers
    As a Dublin pub customer I had a good fifteen years of asking "why can't these pubs have even just one decent quality beer on tap?" The answer then, as now, is "that's business and if you don't like it, spend your money some place that serves what you enjoy."
    :mad: some of the "craft beers" on offer are just mass produced beers from another country, Fischers is a good example.
    It's almost like "craft beer" is being used as a meaningless marketing term. Stop the bleedin' presses.

Yeah but my pint is (get it) that the places that I enjoy going to are slowly but surely getting rid of it maybe to a point that I will no longer be able to drink my choice of drink, Joe Duffy will be getting a call.

the places that I enjoy going to are slowly but surely getting rid of it maybe to a point that I will no longer be able to drink my choice of drink
    It happens, get used to it. Though as a Bud drinker I'd say your preference is pretty safe. Spare a thought for all the Smithwick's Barley Wine, Breo, Hudson Blue and Caffrey's drinkers who've all had to get over their brand loyalties because the drinks market moved on without them.

This craft beer thing has to reach a critical mass at some point, the bubble will burst and slowly but surely publicans will start to phase out the taps or scale back when they realise that the market has a million beers and they cant have them all.
    The King of beers shall live on....

• Advertisement

This craft beer thing has to reach a critical mass at some point, the bubble will burst and slowly but surely publicans will start to phase out the taps or scale back when they realise that the market has a million beers and they cant have them all.
    The King of beers shall live on....

Most people aren't asking for all pubs to have them all. In most pubs I just want a half decent choice. Instead of having 6 lagers like Heineken, Carlsberg, Bud, Hop House, Staropramen, and Peroni (and in some cases 2 taps of them) why not drop one or two and get in a decent craft beer.

And if you don't have tap space to have a craft tap or two, then at the very least have some bottles of something in the fridge.

Advertisement