Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macturcaills gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

matrim wrote: »
    Most people aren't asking for all pubs to have them all. In most pubs I just want a half decent choice. Instead of having 6 lagers like Heineken, Carlsberg, Bud, Hop House, Staropramen, and Peroni (and in some cases 2 taps of them) why not drop one or two and get in a decent craft beer.

And if you don't have tap space to have a craft tap or two, then at the very least have some bottles of something in the fridge.

Ah yeah I have no problem with that it's just when the shoe is on the other foot most places wont make allowances for bud, carlsberg etc.... and almost scoff at you for asking if you have it.

Wetherspoons is a great example of a pub that has a good selection of choice for everyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Buckfast W wrote: »
    This craft beer thing has to reach a critical mass at some point, the bubble will burst and slowly but surely publicans will start to phase out the taps or scale back when they realise that the market has a million beers and they cant have them all.
    In the most developed craft beer markets like the US, New Zealand and the Netherlands, craft has reached about 12-14% of the total beer market. Latest figures for Ireland predict that in 2016 that number will be 3%. So you can expect to see 4 to 5 times as many craft beer taps around the place before there's even a hint of a sniff of a slowdown in growth, never mind the bubble bursting. Like I say, get used to it.
    Wetherspoons is a great example of a pub that has a good selection of choice for everyone.
    Does it sell Budweiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

except ross ocarroll kelly

BeerNut wrote: »
    In the most developed craft beer markets like the US, New Zealand and the Netherlands, craft has reached about 12-14% of the total beer market. Latest figures for Ireland predict that in 2016 that number will be 3%. So you can expect to see 4 to 5 times as many craft beer taps around the place before there's even a hint of a sniff of a slowdown in growth, never mind the bubble bursting. Like I say, get used to it.

Does it sell Budweiser?

Yup yup the one in Blanch does and was doing pints of it for 2.50 I think.

And I will not go quietly into the night, first they came for my Budweiser but I did not speak out because I wasn't a Budweiser drinker, then they came for my Guinness.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The King of beers shall live on....

In real terms, it hasn't even been on the market in Ireland for that long. Just as much chance of it going the way of Stag, Holsten Pils and Furstenberg did from the mainstream, lager-wise.

• Advertisement

I remember Holsten taking a nose dive alright, Furstenburg has come back on the scene but only in bottles, best off sticking to the Guinness its been around since 1759 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,168 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ah Kilkenny, I hope your disappearance from most Dublin pubs means you are now happy out in Beer heaven.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

best off sticking to the Guinness its been around since 1759 :D
    Well, 1981 or so, but close enough :D

Bit before my time old timer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

Is that Guinness draught as we know it?

Drank it in pubs in the 70's and didn't notice any change in 81.

Lancer was a nice bottle for the way home.

• Advertisement

septictank wrote: »
    Drank it in pubs in the 70's and didn't notice any change in 81.
    The recipe changed gradually over the years, except during the world wars when it changed drastically. As far as I'm aware the current recipe for Guinness Extra Stout / Draught Guinness dates from the early 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Short article in The Sunday Business Post today (paywalled) about MacTurcaills.

-->Reopening mid November 2016.
    -->Will be called the Townsend Exchange or Tara Exchange.
    -->Pub is owned by L'Estrange. Same owner of Camden Exchange.
    -->The interior will be designed by the same architect as the Camden Exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There's far too many of these places now. Getting bored of the scene now.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭yellowcandle

Lux23 wrote: »

Have to agree, it's over kill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Lux23 wrote: »

As in, pubs that serve alcohol and have 'exchange' in their name?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

As in, pubs that serve alcohol and have 'exchange' in their name?

Not quite. Just seems like a lot of these places are very similar despite claiming to have an 'alternative vibe' they are all very much a carbon copy of each other. The Rag trader, Chelsea Drugstore, Farrier & Draper, Bow Lane all seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet. Then there is the old spot, 108 Rathgar, sober lane etc. They are comfortable bars with a good offering in terms of products, but they just all seem to be missing a distinct personality. I don't know if it is the people they hire or what but I never feel like going back to these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I noticed an 'opening soon' sign on a whitewashed window today.
    That been there long?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I noticed an 'opening soon' sign on a whitewashed window today.
    That been there long?

I'd say at least 4 months. I am struggling to think of what kind of bar or restaurant would thrive in that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

To refresh an old thread, there seems to be a lot of work going on there over the last week and it looks to be close to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This made me laugh today: a pub situated close to a hipster cafe, the type serving of kale and avocado the pub had a sign out side saying traditional food served here bacon and cabbage and Irish stew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Saw signage up yesterday for Ruin Bar.
    Ironically as it was in ruins for so long!

Seemed to be a lot of final touches going on so probably opening this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Was open last night when i passed at 11.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

cunavalos wrote: »
    Was open last night when i passed at 11.30pm

Heard it was supposed to open but they looked to be still finishing off when I was on the way home from work at 7

Some clearly bollox reviews on Google already (unless they actually do do "tiki cocktails". In Dublin. In which case it may be closing again soon). Probably from a bot looking to try get clicks to its profile.

First time in years there's at least as many bars opening/reopning in Dublin as closing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

L1011 wrote: »
    Some clearly bollox reviews on Google already (unless they actually do do "tiki cocktails". In Dublin. In which case it may be closing again soon). Probably from a bot looking to try get clicks to its profile.

First time in years there's at least as many bars opening/reopning in Dublin as closing

Have you looked at the photos? A bunch of workmen and dust covers everywhere :pac:

Collie D wrote: »
    Have you looked at the photos? A bunch of workmen and dust covers everywhere :pac:

Those have gone up since I looked last. Been in some pubs that'd benefit from dust covers!

Based on their Facebook page, they *do* do tiki cocktails. For a few weeks, I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I passed it tonight, I think it was open but didn't really get a look at the menu, looks pretty trendy though ðŸ™႒

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

It's now called Ruin Bar, a bit weird imo

Nice to see a former pub premises open up however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

What's a "tiki cocktail" and why should they not be sold in Dublin :confused:

• Advertisement

What's a "tiki cocktail" and why should they not be sold in Dublin :confused:

Tacky Hawaiian cocktails, and because they're tacky Hawaiian cocktails.

Advertisement