Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help up all night with kitten in heat crying

• 13-03-2015 5:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

I am at my wits end hence the time of this post . I am trying to keep rest of family asleep . I got a kitten last week a rescue from a lady found it in storms . All was fine a brought it to vet Monday etc to get spayed. The vet said had mild dose of cat flu so could not do for 2 weeks. The cat has now gone into heat and is in such distress . How can I help her and what can I do .

I am up all night and I can't go without sleep like this . How long will this go on . I will of course ring vet but the cat seems in distress and I can't help . Have her beside me here and she is just keening away .

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That's hormones for you; not a whole lot you can do to be honest except making sure it does not escape under any circumstances...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RoLad001

I find that if you keep a cat near when she is in heat it makes things worse. Best not to touch her much especially around her tummy area. It will last for 4 or 5 days and will start up again in only a couple weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Thanks she is in lock down here no chance of getting out I really feel for her she was so distressed. She is booked in for next week would have been done last Monday only for the cat flu .

I did everything brought her to bed with me etc and in the end I put her back down stairs in sitting room with her toys , litter tray and some food and closed the door. It seemed to help had been wandering the house I won't say meowing more keening. She settled about 05.30 up for work now . Sooner job done the better for her to.

Just to update spoke with vet who said she is over the top still keening and crying etc rolling around and can't settle . Nothing else wrong with her called her a drama queen and that it shouldn't be this bad etc .

Plan is to bring her in first thing Monday morning and he will neuter her then . If she doesn't settle and she is as bad tomorrow he advised me to bring her to them in the morning and they will kennel her there till Monday . I want to keep her here she is up the wall here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

alibab wrote:
    Just to update spoke with vet who said she is over the top still keening and crying etc rolling around and can't settle . Nothing else wrong with her called her a drama queen and that it shouldn't be this bad etc .

Mine was just as much of a drama queen. She was done on Tuesday. Thank fook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Good for you for taking in a rescue cat.
    We are in the same situation and she was going crazy for about 4 nights. Last night she was much quieter.
    Someone early mentioned not to touch her, but I found the cat was much quieter when I picked her up and carried her around. (Almost like a crying baby.)
    It can be very stressful but the main thing is to not let her outside. It will pass and then you can get her neutered.

eezipc wrote:
    Good for you for taking in a rescue cat. We are in the same situation and she was going crazy for about 4 nights. Last night she was much quieter. Someone early mentioned not to touch her, but I found the cat was much quieter when I picked her up and carried her around. (Almost like a crying baby.) It can be very stressful but the main thing is to not let her outside. It will pass and then you can get her neutered.

Why no touching? No one told me that

Thanks all she is looking to be held and cuddled all the time and lots of petting . Must be horrendous for them . The sooner it's over and she Is nutured the better . No way she can get out just wish I could help her more . It's her first heat . Other that that she is a dote so tame and affectionate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

hdowney wrote: »
    Why no touching? No one told me that

Mentioned earlier on by RoLad001 but I found our cat loved to be rubbed. Seemed to take away some of the stress.....

It's our cats first time in heat as well so she probably didn't know herself what was going on. I'm sure they are not in any pain but they are just mad for the ride....:p
    We have another neutered male cat around the same age and he was doing his best to help her out but unfortunately for him nothing was stirring down below.:P

I am leaving her too it now mostly because I actually have to get stuff done . I do think she is better being left alone . Going to do what I discussed with vet tonight set her up again in sitting room with everything she needs at hand and leave her to it as I need to sleep .

Last night I was trying to help and console her but nothing worked so just need to let her to it till Monday .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Well done for rescuing her. It's horrible when they go on heat, I remember our foster kitten went on heat at 4 months old and we were shocked to see it in such a tiny baby cat. Thankfully our own cats were neutered already. Only a few more days and it'll be over.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

<snip>

Under no circumstances may posters prescribe or advise any form of medication for a pet, for any reason.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I hope all went well at the vet and that you'll both be happier now. :)

Thanks she had it done yesterday . Spent most of last night vomiting but that has stopped now and she is eating and drinking well and playing away with her toys .

She is back to being a happy laid back cat and all the bawling has stopped . The vet gave her a injection that is supposed to last 2 days a painkiller and she is very comfortable. Was very worried about the vomiting for awhile but she is fine now .

Aww poor baby. My cat was fly in after hers. Not a bother on her. She never touched her stitches neither.

Advertisement