Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle battery warranty

Options
  • 13-03-2015 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

A lead acid battery that I bought 6 months ago has failed.
    One of the 6 internal cells has become visibly 'gunked up' and the battery only measures 10 volts no matter how I charge it.
    The shop where I bought it is saying that the distributor only offers 6 month warranty on batteries.
    I find this hard to believe. Can I demand a new battery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,040 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Batteries are considered consumables and 6 months is a relatively normal (if somewhat stingy) warranty on them.

If the battery cost any significant money I'd argue that the total failure of a single cell was an obvious manufacturing defect; but there is a point where pushing for what may be right isn't worth it. If you bought it in a chain store (Halfords basically) I'd keep the arguing up a little longer as they have interests in keeping annoyed customers out of the store...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

what size and type of battery is it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

L1011 wrote: »
    Batteries are considered consumables and 6 months is a relatively normal (if somewhat stingy) warranty on them.

If the battery cost any significant money I'd argue that the total failure of a single cell was an obvious manufacturing defect; but there is a point where pushing for what may be right isn't worth it. If you bought it in a chain store (Halfords basically) I'd keep the arguing up a little longer as they have interests in keeping annoyed customers out of the store...

In this case it would be considered a failure due to defect rather than degradation through usage.

Your guarantee is the same as for other products in this instance, it should last for a reasonable amount of time (2 years at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Zebbedee wrote: »
    The shop where I bought it is saying that the distributor only offers 6 month warranty on batteries.

That's between him and the distributor, your contract is with the retailer. Don't let him pass the blame on to someone else.
    I find this hard to believe. Can I demand a new battery?

Yes, it's clearly a manufacturing fault if one cell is fcuked up and the rest appear normal. Since it clearly can't be repaired, you need to demand a replacement, failing which you are entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

daithi55 wrote: »
    what size and type of battery is it

Its an 'easystart' and about one third the size of a car battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Thanks to all who replied.

The shop, while being sympathetic are not budging on the battery being out
    of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thanks to all who replied.

The shop, while being sympathetic are not budging on the battery being out
    of warranty.

Small claims court in that case

Advertisement