Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&R Meet up | Sweetmans, Burgh Quay | 19 March @ 19.00

Options
  • 13-03-2015 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon all!

So, does 19.00 on the 19th of March in Sweetman's sound like a plan? Or would people prefer later or earlier? If you will be along like this post and I will reserve an area for us early next week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Disclosure here - I'm looking iffy on attending myself as I have a big old work thing on that day that could linger into the evening like an unwanted guest. But, if at all possible, I will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'll try my best to be there. As mentioned, we're moving into a new house next week/week after. Even for an hour would be nice to put faces to handles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

7's way too early for me. All going well, expect me between 8:30/9.... :)

Well I've just realised that Wednesday is the 18th and not the 19th so have deleted the post I made saying 'sorry! no can do..'. I can definitely make this for a couple of hours! Gosh I need to look at calenders more often...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Potential numbers? Thread seems a little quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Hi guys, definitely want to come, but am slightly scared of being the only one there judging by how quiet the ole thread is!

Hey! So, yes thread seems quiet. I'll definitely be there though, although only for a couple of hours as we'll have a post-op dog about the place feeling sorry for himself. If it's only a small group of us we can just grab a table. And if it's only me I'll have a beer and read my book :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Should be there after work.

Good luck with the dog. They tend to look like they're stumbling home from the pub post-anastheasia.

Good luck with the dog. They tend to look like they're stumbling home from the pub post-anastheasia.

Hehe. He & I can stumble around together so!

How will we recognise each other?

• Advertisement

I think traditional boards beers sign is a tin of condensed milk on the table, and I just so happen to have one...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think traditional boards beers sign is a tin of condensed milk on the table, and I just so happen to have one...

Very specifically, it must be a tin of Carnation condensed milk. The condensed milk started at the very first BGRH beers when we faced a similar problem and someone jokingly said that we should all wear carnations in out lapels like you'd see in films years ago when people were meeting up for the first time and needed some way of recognising one another. This presented two problems - 1) as the Brothers were, and still are, manly men, they wouldn't be caught dead wearing flowers; and 2) there aren't many lapels on a t-shirt. So as a substitute it was suggested that Carnation condensed milk (bring evaporated milk, or non-Carnation condensed milk at your peril - you will be shunned) be used instead, with the added bonus that it could later be turned into something fattening, in keeping with the forum ethos. On the first evening there was a small pile of cans on the table, and as people subsequently came to their first BGRH beers they too had to bring a can. It peaked at the epic "Night of a Thousand Corsets" where there were 80-90 Brothers and Brotherettes and one Brother brought home a pile of 25 or more cans of condensed milk brought by newbies in one of those pull along trollies you see grannies with. Rumour has it that he's still eating fudge and caramel squares made from that evening's haul. Here endeth the history lesson. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, I'll be there. I'll be on time as on previous boards meet ups it's been kind of loud in Sweetmans so it's been hard to chat.

As an aside, someone mentioned ordering food. I thought it was an unspoken understanding that we bring something each! Is that not right? I was going to bring the fruit and almond tart that was mentioned in the cooking club recently. Oh well...and I have 40 paper plates and all....

I'm good to go but will be there close to 8. Tampopo, condensed milk goes well with tart, I believe.

tampopo wrote: »
    As an aside, someone mentioned ordering food. I thought it was an unspoken understanding that we bring something each! Is that not right?

That sounds really awesome & fruit tart sounds even awesomer. I definitely won't have anything with me at this meet up, won't have time to organise it. Really do like the idea of a C&R pot luck type thing in the future. Hmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Zaph wrote: »
    Rumour has it that he's still eating fudge and caramel squares made from that evening's haul.

you forgot the banoffee!

The endless, endless banoffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'd love to go, but travelling all the way up from Cork and back again on a school night isn't practical. Have a good night all :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm not going to be able to make it - I'm gutted, but I hope those of you who do go will have a great evening :)

Evening! So i've been on to Sweetmans and they aren't sure if they have availability to reserve space tomorrow and asked me to give them a buzz tomorrow when the lady who takes care of that is in. Would I be right in thinking it'll be about 4 or 5 of us along?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I declare a thumb war...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

And that makes me 6 :) I'll give Sweetmans another buzz shortly, stuck away from a phone for a bit in work, and I'll update here. Also will pm everyone coming directly with my number beforehand so if you're lost or can't make it or anything we can sort that stuff out.

And we are booked :) Reservation is under boards.ie (for some reason I got embarrassed reeling out the full thing, boardsdotiecookingandrecipesforumplease, and ended prematurely). I've reserved space for 6 and it'll be on the first floor of sweetmans. Will pm everyone shortly with contact details in case my can of condensed milk isn't obvious enough...

And we are booked :) Reservation is under boards.ie (for some reason I got embarrassed reeling out the full thing, boardsdotiecookingandrecipesforumplease, and ended prematurely). I've reserved space for 6 and it'll be on the first floor of sweetmans. Will pm everyone shortly with contact details in case my can of condensed milk isn't obvious enough...

You were innocently honest there😜
    I would've just said The Knitting Society of Roosky and Scramoge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sorry folks, I can't make it. Have a great night!

No worries tHB, we'll save you some condensed milk!

• Advertisement

We are in a little nook opposite the bar on the first floor! There's cake...

Advertisement