Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Back in the 90s 2fm had a female DJ that went by the name of Suzanne Duffy. Left radio to write a book and hasn't been seen since.

Hmmm looks like she changed her name also!

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/entertainment/suzanne-emerges-from-radio-daze-with-blockbuster-debut-novel-27542526.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

ronan45 wrote: »
    Very nice!
    With a face like that she would do well on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

was it Noel V Ginnity? I'm a huge comedy fan but i know his name as his brother was chairman of the meath co. GAA board in the 80's!! I would deffo not know him from "comedy" :)

If you really want to hear him again, he's on most of the Funny Friday's on Liveline on RTE Radio 1. The show's title however is very misleading - it's not remotely funny, and often isn't even broadcast on a Friday. In fact, I can guarantee you laughed more reading the last sentence than you will in the entire 75minutes of a Funny Friday episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,041 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you really want to hear him again, he's on most of the Funny Friday's on Liveline on RTE Radio 1. The show's title however is very misleading - it's not remotely funny, and often isn't even broadcast on a Friday. In fact, I can guarantee you laughed more reading the last sentence than you will in the entire 75minutes of a Funny Friday episode.
    that's gas, i'm on the road most fridays and tune in for the carnage....the funny thing is many of the jokes are straight up racist but the oldies find it hilarious....yer one june rogers was crackin jokes about slanty eyes ffs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

darkdubh wrote: »
    Yes,the guy nailed to the pool table in The General.Is he still acting?

He was in college in Carlow for a few years, think he still does some stage acting but haven't seen him on tv or film for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Thanks for the warning.Personally I'd rather endure ten years in Guantamano Bay being waterboarded first thing every morning.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning.Personally I'd rather endure ten years in Guantamano Bay being waterboarded first thing every morning.
    If they translated it into arabic and blasted it through the speakers at Guantanamo it would rank in the top ten top cia torture tactics...i say top 10 coz there's some real sick sh1t there i'd say....

No footage of Noel V Ginnitys post kidnap appearance on the Late Late which is probably a good thing,theres some stills on the RTE archive.He was a strange choice for a LLS tribute special as I'd say the vast majority of viewers had no idea who he was.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2228/018.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭George White

He reminds me of Laurence Olivier as Archie Rice in The Entertainer, someone completely dated who thinks he's the bee's knees but probably was never funny to begin with, in the red nose and stupid "twat" outfit with bowler hat and floral corsage.
    To be honest, a lot of those old Dublin comics seem to have this really weird, dated style. They're like the Daniel O'Donnells of standup.
    A lot of them make their money I believe from tourists who think "oh, that must be funny then. Well, laugh along, Stanley, laugh along!"

Reminds me of when Hal Roach died, and Ma was watching the funeral procession on the news. "I never saw the point of him. "Ireland's Greatest Comedian?" What about Brendan Grace? Roach I never liked. And don't get me started on Sil Fox! Once performed at the office party. Dead silence!"

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

He reminds me of Laurence Olivier as Archie Rice in The Entertainer, someone completely dated who thinks he's the bee's knees but probably was never funny to begin with, in the red nose and stupid "twat" outfit with bowler hat and floral corsage.
    To be honest, a lot of those old Dublin comics seem to have this really weird, dated style. They're like the Daniel O'Donnells of standup.
    A lot of them make their money I believe from tourists who think "oh, that must be funny then. Well, laugh along, Stanley, laugh along!"

Reminds me of when Hal Roach died, and Ma was watching the funeral procession on the news. "I never saw the point of him. "Ireland's Greatest Comedian?" What about Brendan Grace? Roach I never liked. And don't get me started on Sil Fox! Once performed at the office party. Dead silence!"

Could never stand any of those.Frank Carson was another one,always found him about as funny as cancer.Cha And Miah (who used to appear in Halls Pictorial Weekly) were a Cork version of those kind of outdated cabaret act comedians,very popular with a certain generation.

• Advertisement

"oh syl you're terrible" ....."no i mean you're actually terrible"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Michelle De Bruin,know she was studying to become a barrister.
    Is she actually practising?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tipptom wrote: »

she has been practicing for a number for a number of years at this stage.

Going on this she seems to be.I don't know how recent that picture is but she looks exactly the same as she did at the time of the medal wins,which must be nearly twenty years ago now.

http://www.lawlibrary.ie/members/Michelle-Smith-de-Bruin/3602.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

She was junior council as far back as 05,never heard her name popping up in cases.
    Should have added international sporting law to her resume.

Eoin McLove doing much these days?
    Does standup, was in Moone Boy, has written some film recently IIRC.

When can we add Brian Ormonde???? Must be soon

Does standup, was in Moone Boy, has written some film recently IIRC.
    and the savage eye, killinascully too??

and the savage eye, killinascully too??

Don't forget Naked Camera.Diden't he do some TV ad where he was flushing money down a toilet as well at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes

http://www.lawlibrary.ie/members/Michelle-Smith-de-Bruin/3602.aspx

• Advertisement

When can we add Brian Ormonde???? Must be soon
    He's hosting a new TV3 gameshow.

soon enough so

Is it actually on air or just announced? Every TV3 launch includes a rake of shows they never make.

He was at the launch. He said he couldn't wait.
    They also announced that "Irish in London" drama by Gerard Barrett that was announced already last year...
    Any other examples of TV3 shows they didn't take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

mister pussy

Fergus the astrology guy

He was at the launch. He said he couldn't wait.
    They also announced that "Irish in London" drama by Gerard Barrett that was announced already last year...
    Any other examples of TV3 shows they didn't take?

Blind Date (Irish remake) was the star of a launch announcement last year and it hasn't happened. There are others.

L1011 wrote: »
    Blind Date (Irish remake) was the star of a launch announcement last year and it hasn't happened. There are others.
    You know what? It was publicised so much with Lucy being the Irish Cilla Black that I believed it had come and gone. I even presumed seeing a trailer for it. Then again, probably just Take Me Out...
    Further reading reveals that the head of TV3 Light Entertainment or just Programming or whatever felt the format was stale, and new shows were needed.

Alan Amsby (I think that was his name, Mr. Pussy) last I heard of him was Brendan O'Carroll on the Paul O'Grady show. They had done cabaret together with Mr. Pussy, in character as Mrs. Brown and Lily Savage. They were saying that he was a fair bit older than them. He must be well in his seventies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Fergus the astrology guy

Who could have predicted that?

• Advertisement

Who could have predicted that?

Not Fergus anyway :D

Advertisement