Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Saw this earlier and its been bugging me as to who the guy in The Lyons Tea ad is.His face is maddeningly familiar but I just can't place him.I've a feeling hes some half remembered Irish comedian/showbiz figure/Radio DJ who was already a retro figure when these ads came out in the early 90s.Any one know who he is/was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

darkdubh wrote: »
    Saw this earlier and its been bugging me as to who the guy in The Lyons Tea ad is.His face is maddeningly familiar but I just can't place him.I've a feeling hes some half remembered Irish comedian/showbiz figure/Radio DJ who was already a retro figure when these ads came out in the early 90s.Any one know who he is/was?
    No idea, i'm afraid, but I do feckin love looking back at those old ads and seeing what I remember. Instant Tea - who'd have thunk it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Enya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

darkdubh wrote: »

I think he's an actor. I'm sure I've seen him in something. It's maddening me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I think he's an actor. I'm sure I've seen him in something. It's maddening me too.

Looks a little bit like Pat Ingoldsby?

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    Looks a little bit like Pat Ingoldsby?

No it's not him. Watch when he's not dressed as a hippy?
    I could be wrong but wasn't he in Irish RM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Enya

She just sailed away, sailed away, sailed away

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭septictank

No it's not him. Watch when he's not dressed as a hippy?
    I could be wrong but wasn't he in Irish RM?

Think you might be thinking about Peter Bowles but it's not.

I don't think it's an Irish actor, I know a good few, nor have I ever seen those ad's before.

Edit: For the Toni fans, lest we forget. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVSmoox9pc

septictank wrote: »

I don't think it's an Irish actor, I know a good few, nor have I ever seen those ad's before.

Edit: For the Toni fans, lest we forget. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJVSmoox9pc

I get the impression from the ads that viewers were supposed to know who he was,like he was well known for something.Its driving me mad that his face and voice seem really familiar but still have no idea who he is.

septictank wrote: »

No not Peter Bowles, Jesus, of course it isn't. Peter Bowles was my grandad's favourite. I'd recognise him from a mile away, and his moustache's shadow.

What I meant was that he was some comic actor who might have been in an episode or two.

• Advertisement

Someone in the comments suggested hes Father Fay the "monkey priest" from Fr Ted.Looks a bit like him but I have my doubts.

No it's not him. I've seen that actor who played Fr. Fintan Fay, Jimmy Keogh in other things, namely Waking Ned as Ned, and different bone structure altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭husq

dont forget bunny,s sidekick, eileen dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Apologies if this one has already been mentioned but does anyone remember a blonde haired woman named Hillary Fennell?
    The last time I saw her on the TV was back in the 90s when she was in a commercial about AIDS,and in this commercial she sounded like she was blaming men for the spread of AIDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Paul Kelly
    John o Shea
    Angela Kerins

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

husq wrote: »
    dont forget bunny,s sidekick, eileen dwyer

Ann O'Dwyer- she'd a lovely voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Korat wrote: »
    Gerald Kean, the celebrity solicitor.

GK still popping up on TV. Saw him during the last month

nuac wrote: »

yes. Celebrity Operation Transformation ensues the likes of Katherine Lynch aren't off our screens for long, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Bank of Ireland economist who was flavour of the week on RTE news and current affairs programmes during the Celtic Tiger insanity, Dr Dan McLaughlin. Coincidentally, following the Irish economic melt down he completely disappeared from view.

Dan-McLaughlin-2_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

bbsrs wrote: »
    Best thing about anything goes she was.

Marys doing alright and still looking good. http://ie.linkedin.com/pub/mary-fitzgerald/13/ba4/ba4

Fair play to her - she has completely re-invented her career late on. Have to admire that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Maybe it's been said before, but God help the Irish viewers if the producers of the Late Late stumble across this thread. They'll mine it and get all the individuals mentioned on the show several times a year.

But seriously, as indicated, the conspicuous absence of Dan McLaughlin must be related to his previous bullishness on the economy.

Still seems to be around though: http://www.danmclaughlin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Hilary Fennell is a producer with RTE. See her name on credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Clare McKeown. She had a late night chat show on rte 2 and a radio show on one of the Dublin stations but haven't seen her with 10 yrs at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

He's on operation transformation. and in media news at least once a week.

He's on operation transformation. and in media news at least once a week.

Pamela Izevbekhai or Pamela Issiwayhi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Lana from Fair City

liam7831 wrote: »
    Lana from Fair City
    About 4 times a year in papers. Always photo shown from about 25 years ago

liam7831 wrote: »
    Lana from Fair City
    About 4 times a year in papers. Always photo shown from about 25 years ago