Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Actually it was Bianca Luykx.

I wonder if she is any relations to Albert Luykx who imported guns with Charlie Haughey and the two army officers during the 1970's?

She is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Bressie
    Thank God. A case of the media peddling someone as a star despite a relative lack of success. I think that he shouldnt have called himself "Bressie" either. Made him sound childish, or like an auld farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presume it was the name given to him on the rugby pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Many of the people mentioned in this thread fall into the category of "chancers" rather than "celebrities".

Water John wrote: »
    I presume it was the name given to him on the rugby pitch.

True, but the only other similar instance I can think of using your sports nickname as your stagename is Gazza (and Lindisfarne - Fog on the Tyne '90)

• Advertisement

Louis Walsh managed her....... the only one he properly managed that didnt do well was Shane Filan. The rest of his stable all had their financial investments taken care of properly. He went out home to become a property developer in Sligo or somewhere and it all went to crap with the financial bubble of 2006.

Sorry No interest there. She did well for the talent she had in the States and Germany.
    What about Bellefire?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Has Brush Shiels been mentioned?

Smiley Bolger.

That rock journalist of a similar age to the two above, small balding guy, English sounding accent, can't think of his name.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

BP Fallon?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Zaph wrote: »
    BP Fallon?

Yes, he was always on RTE music related shows in the 80's. He seemed ancient even back then. Always came across as a right pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

What about Bellefire?

Who?

Louis Walsh had a lot of Non runners like Buffalo G, Carter twins, etc etc. The whole industry is that way. I certainly wouldnt like to work in it.

The worst mistake was when he was managing Darren Holden and look at him now!!! Toured with River Dance for years and filling venue in the States and Australia with the High Kings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Who?

Louis Walsh had a lot of Non runners like Buffalo G, Carter twins, etc etc. The whole industry is that way. I certainly wouldnt like to work in it.

The worst mistake was when he was managing Darren Holden and look at him now!!! Toured with River Dance for years and filling venue in the States and Australia with the High Kings.

Bellefire were in the charts about 10 years ago with a cover of From the cradle to the Grave by U2 and quickly disappeared after that, never to be seen again.

I passed out Butcher Boy actor Eamonn Owens Wednesday morning last week, he was walking down North Frederick street. Big things were predicted of him after his Butcher Boy performance but he ended up getting typecast as a gob****e in Irish films such as Studs and The Boys and Girl from County Clare. The last time I saw him on TV was a minor bit part in Love Hate.

Who?

Bellefire were in the charts about 10 years ago with a cover of From the cradle to the Grave by U2 and quickly disappeared after that, never to be seen again.

I passed out Butcher Boy actor Eamonn Owens Wednesday morning last week, he was walking down North Frederick street. Big things were predicted of him after his Butcher Boy performance but he ended up getting typecast as a gob****e in Irish films such as Studs and The Boys and Girl from County Clare. The last time I saw him on TV was a minor bit part in Love Hate.

Some people on twitter compared the Dutch Eurovision entry this year to Bellefire.

Who?

And now we can add Brendan Murray and Hometown to that list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I'd say The Big Bow Wow killed his career, along with that of everyone else who in it.

I've always wondered what became of the actor who played Harry the mechanic in Fair City.

Also Brian Dowling, I never see him on TV anymore (Thank Christ)

Gerry Ryan's old friend Brenda. I wonder is she still working in RTE.

Harry Molloy, Paul Reynor was the actor - I believe he's the uncle of Jack Reynor.
    Brenda Donohue - she still appears time to time on Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Harry Molloy, Paul Reynor was the actor - I believe he's the uncle of Jack Reynor.
    Brenda Donohue - she still appears time to time on Today.

I'm positive Harry picked me up in a taxi one night

Who was that Indian guy who was a counsellor in Mayo or somewhere like that? Used to turn up on the telly a lot at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

darkdubh wrote: »
    Who was that Indian guy who was a counsellor in Mayo or somewhere like that? Used to turn up on the telly a lot at one point.

Dr. Moosajee Bhamjee. He was a TD in Clare.

He's a consultant psychiatrist, gave up the politics ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

What ever happened to Smiley Bolger or Brush shiels?

Brush, does a bit of farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Water John wrote: »
    Brush, does a bit of farming.

Indoor variety?

Not sure if Brush ever took anything, just naturally 'wired'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

Kevin McAleer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Brush made a lot of hay out of his "near death experience" recently. I think he got a whole Liveline show out of it.

I think he also regularly features on the DaLahvline (not) Funny Fridays - although I couldn't be sure of that as I'm utterly allergic to them and haven't tuned in in years.

Can anyone remember if Room Outside had another presenter before Gerry Daly? An older man with glasses if I remember correctly. I think he might have died and then Gerry Daly took over, or perhaps it was a separate gardening show and then Room Outside replaced it.

Are you thinking of, Dermot O'Neill? He got cancer, but survived, TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

darkdubh wrote: »
    Can anyone remember if Room Outside had another presenter before Gerry Daly? An older man with glasses if I remember correctly. I think he might have died and then Gerry Daly took over, or perhaps it was a separate gardening show and then Room Outside replaced it.

Might be Barney Johnson. Had a vague memory of him being on.

• Advertisement

leeside11 wrote: »
    Might be Barney Johnson. Had a vague memory of him being on.

I think that's him alright, this article mentions that he died in 1979 which would be about the timeline I was thinking of.I was five then and I was very young when he was on.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/in-search-of-a-lost-tiger-26644825.html

Advertisement