Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think we all rather not hear from the drug addled basket case after his rant on RTE late one night that the Government had done nothing for himself and Katy French. Two prize plonkers

Oh Jesus--I remember that guy now...Oh God, even the 'expose' that he'd lied about his 'wealth' and that he was just plain 'Gavin Murphy'... He even outed himself, but like, nobody gave a toss.
    Also remember him on 'The Farm'...with a range of plonkers, and Twink, the ultimate plonker.(I think that show you mention was either on late night RTE 2 or late night TV3). Gavin Murphy was one of the most self obsessed people you'd see on tV.

https://www.independent.ie/life/a-tigers-tale-party-boy-gavin-lambemurphy-on-penning-tellall-book-of-cocaine-fueled-party-years-34377853.html

Katy French annoys me no end. The media spun her into this 'oh my God, she's famous' supermodel-she was standing on grafton St in a bikini selling mobile phones. G'way. She also had all these amazing chances, and threw it all away. The media gave her so much publicity, her and so many vaccuous useless people.
    She was like an IRish Anna Nicole Smith-so many opportunities, and she blew it.

Then the media tried to spin it as a 'tragedy' and it's like 'lads, she knew the risks of cocaine-everyone did'. I remember round the time she died, well, weeks before, Ian O'Doherty was doing the 'don't tell me what to do with my body' regarding doing cocaine, then weeks later, quite a number of deaths-murders by shooting and Katy dead.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Oh Jesus--I remember that guy now...Oh God, even the 'expose' that he'd lied about his 'wealth' and that he was just plain 'Gavin Murphy'... He even outed himself, but like, nobody gave a toss.
    Also remember him on 'The Farm'...with a range of plonkers, and Twink, the ultimate plonker.(I think that show you mention was either on late night RTE 2 or late night TV3). Gavin Murphy was one of the most self obsessed people you'd see on tV.

https://www.independent.ie/life/a-tigers-tale-party-boy-gavin-lambemurphy-on-penning-tellall-book-of-cocaine-fueled-party-years-34377853.html

Katy French annoys me no end. The media spun her into this 'oh my God, she's famous' supermodel-she was standing on grafton St in a bikini selling mobile phones. G'way. She also had all these amazing chances, and threw it all away. The media gave her so much publicity, her and so many vaccuous useless people.
    She was like an IRish Anna Nicole Smith-so many opportunities, and she blew it.

Then the media tried to spin it as a 'tragedy' and it's like 'lads, she knew the risks of cocaine-everyone did'. I remember round the time she died, well, weeks before, Ian O'Doherty was doing the 'don't tell me what to do with my body' regarding doing cocaine, then weeks later, quite a number of deaths-murders by shooting and Katy dead.

No one made him to go to the gym or diet I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Haven't heard much of Lee Dunne in recent years but presume he must be getting on in years. I was surprised when i found out that he wrote a series of risque novels that were banned in the 70's as I'd thought he was a cabaret singer type entertainer, I'm sure I used to get him mixed up with Sonny Knowles for some reason.
    He also wrote a sexy Irish film, Wedding Night, starring Tessa "Robin's Nest/Mrs. Tony Blackburn" Wyatt and Dennis Waterman as a young Dublin couple, and another banned film, Paddy, with Milo O'Shea, which Roger Corman produced (Corman's former company, AIP were involved with Wedding Night).
    He also wrote for BBC and ITV in the 60s, Callan, Sid James drama (!) Taxi!, long-lost BBC ITC-ish crime drama Vendetta (briefly notable for having Italian star Stelio Candelli speak all his lines phonetically), long-running BBC oil-boardroomer The Troubleshooters, and much-derided ITV cop show No Hiding Place.

No one made him to go to the gym or diet I'd say.

He was talking about doing cocaine-even used the old Dunphy quote 'you can't get good coke in Ireland'. Around that time, there was this absolutely hilarious book called 'High Society' by Justine Delaney Wilson who claimed doctors, ministers, and nuns, to name a few-were doing cocaine. Everyone was-everytime you saw someone sniffing-it wasn't a head cold, or allergies-it was cocaine. At least that's what it was according to her 'book'.

Rte commissioned a documentary, presented by JDW, and it was more batcrap lunacy. Eventually, it led to utter embarassment-for RTE. (Long before the lawsuit brought against them for alleging a priest was a paedophile who fathered a child with a young girl. All allegations were false, but heads rolled, people were fired etc). I believe her book was pulped, and she had claimed she burned her notes 'to protect her sources'.

O'Doherty, a regular cocaine user who'd stopped due to cocaine hangovers and the quality being naff, called out the whole book and documentary for being complete nonsense-made up by a person who obviously never used cocaine. (And I'm someone who's never done an illegal drug in his life, but even I found her allegations silly. Surprised RTE didn't speak to Gerry Ryan and ask him to confirm stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I think we all rather not hear from the drug addled basket case after his rant on RTE late one night that the Government had done nothing for himself and Katy French. Two prize plonkers

Is there a clip of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Terence, the irritating alter ego of John Creedon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I didn't see it, but Bibi Baskin was on the Ray Darcy show on Saturday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

branie2 wrote: »
    I didn't see it, but Bibi Baskin was on the Ray Darcy show on Saturday.

Nobody saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

youwould wrote: »
    I had forgotten about those. Pity he can't do a few more, might teach the current crop at RTÉ how to conduct an interview or do a game show.

Agreed. He was a brilliant broadcaster Mike Murphy. Intelligent with just the right amount of dry humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭scotchy

Al Porter.

:rolleyes:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement

Agreed. He was a brilliant broadcaster Mike Murphy. Intelligent with just the right amount of dry humour.

He was alright-one of the things that annoyed me was that even when he was presenting Winning Streak, you could always tell when he hated a gig.
    And too often he put his foot in it regarding speaking to guests.

Live Mike was good, but other times...he was meh. And I only know Live Mike from repeats.

www.holly.ie Becs from Dan and Becs now a vegan beauty blogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Al Porter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Careful you might get an infraction for that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Whatever else you can say about Al Porter (and I'm sayin' nutting!), I really don't think you can say he's "suddenly vanished out of the spotlight" right now :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Whatever else you can say about Al Porter (and I'm sayin' nutting!), I really don't think you can say he's "suddenly vanished out of the spotlight" right now :D

Ha I mean the man himself... Houdini!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Samantha Mumba

Had a song that hit number 1 for ages around 2000 and it was very catchy, I liked it

She covered a David Bowie song which wasn’t so good

I know she tried a comeback concert around 2004/2005 which was cancelled after selling hardly any tickets, where did she go?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Samantha Mumba

Had a song that hit number 1 for ages around 2000 and it was very catchy, I liked it

I know she tried a comeback concert around 2004/2005 which was cancelled after selling hardly any tickets, where did she go?

the US. back in ireland to do panto for christmas.

Samantha Mumba

I don't this can be called a cover....

Body to body
    Funk to funky
    We know how to rock your party
    Body to body
    Funky to funky
    We know how
    We know how we're wreckin up your party

I always misremember the lyrics as seguing into Ashes to Ashes.
    as Body to Body
    Funky To Funky
    We All Know Major Tom's A Junkie

(Strung out in heaven's high. Hitting an all-time low)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Samantha Mumba

Didn't she cross an RTE luvvie who then told her that she would "never work in this town again"?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

curioser wrote: »
    Didn't she cross an RTE luvvie who then told her that she would "never work in this town again"?
    Well she was on Irish Celeb Masterchef recently, so she obviously got over that hurdle!

She also popped up as a guest appearance at a Swing Cats gig in the olympia, and I have to say she was fantastic.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well she was on Irish Celeb Masterchef recently, so she obviously got over that hurdle!

She also popped up as a guest appearance at a Swing Cats gig in the olympia, and I have to say she was fantastic.

She did a show, years ago, with Harvey Goldsmith 'trying to revive her career'...and she came across very badly. Seriously. Didn't listen to a word he said, turned up late for appointments. When he tried to get the poor selling show shut down, she went on the Late Late to promote it. (As the saying goes, never attach your name to a bomb) then shortly afterwards, the concert was axed.

She doomed her own career. She was supposed to have scored a presenting gig with TV3-after celebrity masterchef (the 6 O'Clock show). I imagine she was still difficult, hence she wasn't kept on for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Al porter :)

Westwood wrote: »
    Al porter :)

Hopefully. :pac:

www.holly.ie Becs from Dan and Becs now a vegan beauty blogger.

Oh God...vegan beauty blogger...

I imagine her parents must be so saddened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Samantha Mumba...

A strange one that - I remember being in the states in about 2009 or 2010, and when I told some girls I was from Ireland, their immediate response was 'oh - like Samantha Mumba'; 'oh yeah Samantha Mumba, I remember her', etc.

- the fact that, years after the songs came out, Samantha Mumba was their first frame of reference when someone mentioned Ireland seems to indicate that she was quite big there for a (short) while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

She did a show, years ago, with Harvey Goldsmith 'trying to revive her career'...and she came across very badly. Seriously. Didn't listen to a word he said, turned up late for appointments. When he tried to get the poor selling show shut down, she went on the Late Late to promote it. (As the saying goes, never attach your name to a bomb) then shortly afterwards, the concert was axed.

She doomed her own career. She was supposed to have scored a presenting gig with TV3-after celebrity masterchef (the 6 O'Clock show). I imagine she was still difficult, hence she wasn't kept on for too long.

She gets a lot of mentions in the Boards "rudest cleb you've met" thread in the entertainment section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

El Tarangu wrote: »
    A strange one that - I remember being in the states in about 2009 or 2010, and when I told some girls I was from Ireland, their immediate response was 'oh - like Samantha Mumba'; 'oh yeah Samantha Mumba, I remember her', etc.

- the fact that, years after the songs came out, Samantha Mumba was their first frame of reference when someone mentioned Ireland seems to indicate that she was quite big there for a (short) while.

Probably famous for being the partner of the guy who sang the Thong Song

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I see Samantha Mumba jogging round Drumcondra occasionally and i've also seen her shopping in Clearwater Centre in Finglas.

That attempt to restart her career went extremely badly as her diva-like behaviour didn't go down well with anybody who watched the show..i found her texting while people were talking to her particularly rude.

Advertisement