Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wheety wrote: »
    Probably famous for being the partner of the guy who sang the Thong Song

And turning up to the Spider-man movie premiere with Sisqo, in a dress Charlotte Church said she wouldn't wear. (Hence why it didn't look good on her). Again, an attempt to revive her career, but again-didn't happen. She wasn't allowed into the after premiere party-got turned away at the door. Ouch.

MysticMonk wrote: »
    I see Samantha Mumba jogging round Drumcondra occasionally and i've also seen her shopping in Clearwater Centre in Finglas.

That attempt to restart her career went extremely badly as her diva-like behaviour didn't go down well with anybody who watched the show..i found her texting while people were talking to her particularly rude.

https://vimeo.com/34335256

For those who haven't seen the 'Mumba comeback of 2007' (and there've been many 'comebacks') that didn't happen-here ya go. Someone uploaded it, and grateful they did.
    At the time, Mumba pulled the 'they edited it to make me look bad' move-which is always rubbish. As Kathy Griffin said about her own show, the crew often have to edit it to make her look better, not worse.
    Even on Living with Lucy she came across as a spoilt diva.

She seemed to have no luck with anything-even when she revealed she was pregnant, it happened on the same day the media was focusing on Kate Middleton's first pregnancy. So completely ignored.
    Since then it's 'comeback', after 'comeback', after 'comeback'...you get the drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I remember Samantha Mumba working as a lounge girl in Quinns in Drumcondra many moons ago, she must have been mid-teens!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Podge And Rodge, did their creators just decided it was time to retire them or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Podge And Rodge, did their creators just decided it was time to retire them or what?

Shafted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Shafted
    What happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I remember Samantha Mumba working as a lounge girl in Quinns in Drumcondra many moons ago, she must have been mid-teens!

I read that very fast and thought you mean she was working as a lounge girl there in the mid 2010s, e.g. two years ago maybe.

Which would be some fall, and considering she lives in the US, a bit of a commute! But also not unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

L1011 wrote: »
    I read that very fast and thought you mean she was working as a lounge girl there in the mid 2010s, e.g. two years ago maybe.

Which would be some fall, and considering she lives in the US, a bit of a commute! But also not unrealistic.

What became of Omero?
    Wasn't he the next Kriss or Kross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

The two lads just out of college must have done 10 years on the Den then 6 seasons of a scare at bed time and then 5 seasons of late night shows.

A well deserved retirement, its a pity it took them to get Pat Kenny to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

What became of Omero?
    Wasn't he the next Kriss or Kross?

I remember a few years later, when he was 15, he turned up in the "random folk on the street fashion" section of Irish Independent's 2Day 2Night magazine, and it said, "Omero Mumba", and no mention of who his sister was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Shafted

You reckon Twonk got them shafted? or Pat Kenny or some other E list celebrity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

You reckon Twonk got them shafted? or Pat Kenny or some other E list celebrity?

I always thought there was someone pulling the strings there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,166 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Georgia Salpa.

To thine own self be true

Georgia Salpa.

Married a bloke with more than enough cash to ensure she never has to wear boot cut jeans for Fás ever again.

L1011 wrote: »
    Married a bloke with more than enough cash to ensure she never has to wear boot cut jeans for Fás ever again.

She didn't even have to give birth to her kids-had a surrogate do it all for her (then claimed she didn't, despite never having a baby bump).
    I always thought there was someone pulling the strings there

RTE's entertainment producer at the time. He killed the show. You remember when it went from 'chat show with great ratings' to 'chat show/ quiz show' with audiences switching off' and Virginia Macari getting fired halfway through?
    The producer at the time (he still works there) was angry the show was doing well, but he wasn't getting a credit for it-so he 'tweaked' it. Added the quiz-and it fell apart. Audiences switched off, Macari was fired, the show went back to the old format (all after 12 weeks) and it was the beginning of the end.

The RTE Secret producer twitter shared a story or two of this Entertainment producer guys' failings-and yes, he's still working there, hence why Network 2 is dying on it's @$$. (He's the guy responsible for 4 cancelled Craig Doyle shows, that all failed, as well as many other failures. Even Graham Linehan chimed in to say this guy was completely unreliable, he wouldn't return calls or emails, and shows would have to be edited, last minute, because he'd only gotten off his butt to check on them and find there was 'disagreeable' content in em-hence a number of years where show after show on RTE 2/ Network 2 died a death). Even Dustin the Turkey had a similar show aimed at kids, with a similar format to Podge and Rodge. (Also the beginning of the end for the Turkey. Also died. Dustin's puppeteer is the brother to one half of Zig and Zag/ Podge and Rodge's puppeteers.)

Sadly, the creators had a good thing, but wore out their welcome. Other folks know when to end a character (Ali G, Borat, etc, have all been retired by Sacha B. Cohen) but RTE had nothing, so they kept retooling them, making toys of them (remember those?) even featured them in a 'pay your tv license' adverts.
    That's sadly what happens, too often, both in Ireland and abroad. Create character-have huge success-then wear out welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

She really was a one hit wonder. I was reading her Wiki there and its a very depressing read.
    "On 23 October 2006, a compilation album, The Collection, was released. The album features songs from Gotta Tell You, B-Sides and two new tracks including her single "I'm Right Here". The singer sold just a handful of tickets for a highly publicised comeback concert in Dublin, which led to it being cancelled in February 2007.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Mumba[8][/URL]

Last time I seen or heard of Mumba was when she played a role in the Gaiety panto a number of years ago

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Last time I seen or heard of Mumba was when she played a role in the Gaiety panto a number of years ago

She's doing panto in Limerick this year as well-alongside Leanne Moore. (Another forgotten but still around lass).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

The actress Maeve McGrath who played Lorraine Molloy Doyle in Fair City. She wasn't bad by their standards and then the character got killed off in the hurricane. I thought she'd appear in some other drama but haven't seen or heard that much of her since.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

David McSavage. His absence is a great loss. Apparently he crossed The Powerful and was subsequently erased. The Savage Eye was the best satire/comedy ever produced domestically, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

fatbhoy wrote: »
    David McSavage. His absence is a great loss. Apparently he crossed The Powerful and was subsequently erased. The Savage Eye was the best satire/comedy ever produced domestically, IMHO.

Managed to sit thru about 30 seconds of his TV show....belongs in the Worst Irish comedians thread....he did play a pizzeria in Tralee a few times though fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 13,166 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What about yer man Eoghan Quigg?
    The original Niall Horan dude.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Radio5 wrote: »
    The actress Maeve McGrath who played Lorraine Molloy Doyle in Fair City. She wasn't bad by their standards and then the character got killed off in the hurricane. I thought she'd appear in some other drama but haven't seen or heard that much of her since.

She's been in tons of stuff since then. Cowboys and Angels, Ros na Run (didn't know she was a gaelgeoir), set up her own production company.
    She's also in Brooklyn, that Saoirse Ronan movie, that will be on over xmas. She's pretty much all around the place, you just missed her. ;)
    fatbhoy wrote: »

Still around-tho moans he can't pay his rent, can't pay his tv license (Even though he was working on tv) etc. I liked the Savage Eye, for sure, but McSavage's standup is woeful.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/celebs/comedian-david-mcsavage-reveals-hes-13487939
    What about yer man Eoghan Quigg?
    The original Niall Horan dude.

Tried to get into Hometown, Louis Walsh's last failed band. They got whittled down, he then didn't make the final cut. Then auditioned for the Eurovision, his singing was forgettable, but it led to Linda Martin making a show of herself with Billy McGuinness. (Who was right-he takes the Eurovision more seriously than RTE are).

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/video-you-are-an-odious-little-man-linda-martin-blasts-billy-mcguinness-on-the-late-late-show-30052194.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Bill Cullen is someone who was constantly on the chat show roller coaster during the boom but it's a few years since I read or heard anything about him.

She's been in tons of stuff since then. Cowboys and Angels, Ros na Run (didn't know she was a gaelgeoir), set up her own production company.
    She's also in Brooklyn, that Saoirse Ronan movie, that will be on over xmas. She's pretty much all around the place, you just missed her. ;)

Still around-tho moans he can't pay his rent, can't pay his tv license (Even though he was working on tv) etc. I liked the Savage Eye, for sure, but McSavage's standup is woeful.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/celebs/comedian-david-mcsavage-reveals-hes-13487939

Tried to get into Hometown, Louis Walsh's last failed band. They got whittled down, he then didn't make the final cut. Then auditioned for the Eurovision, his singing was forgettable, but it led to Linda Martin making a show of herself with Billy McGuinness. (Who was right-he takes the Eurovision more seriously than RTE are).

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/video-you-are-an-odious-little-man-linda-martin-blasts-billy-mcguinness-on-the-late-late-show-30052194.html

Spotted McSavage here in Cork just before Christmas trying to flog his DVDs on the street.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Bill Cullen is someone who was constantly on the chat show roller coaster during the boom but it's a few years since I read or heard anything about him.

Ran out of cash, lost nearly everything. Is now selling Fiat vans and Ssangyong jeeps, based on how many Ssangyongs you see around I suspect selling is an inaccurate word!

Spotted McSavage here in Cork just before Christmas trying to flog his DVDs on the street.

Or was he street performing?

Or was he street performing?

I think he might have been just finished performing. He was loudly advertising to passerbys that he had his DVDs for sale when I saw him.

I think he might have been just finished performing. He was loudly advertising to passerbys that he had his DVDs for sale when I saw him.

That's pretty sad. Can he not book a gig with RTE? His cousin's presenting the Late Late Show after all.

That's pretty sad. Can he not book a gig with RTE? His cousin's presenting the Late Late Show after all.

i believe he had wrapped up the savage eye in his head after 2 series but RTE pressured the 3rd series and ditched him. What i found odd was the following year there was that halls pictorial which was essentially a safe sanitised savage eye and easy for RTE. If you haven't seen him in the international he's worth a look, same act but he's class.
    i saw him in vicar st once and it was great craic but after the 1hr mark you could almost hear a BANG and there he was out of material! He then enticed aidan bishop (bad sign) up to do some hip hop...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

i believe he had wrapped up the savage eye in his head after 2 series but RTE pressured the 3rd series and ditched him. What i found odd was the following year there was that halls pictorial which was essentially a safe sanitised savage eye and easy for RTE. If you haven't seen him in the international he's worth a look, same act but he's class.
    i saw him in vicar st once and it was great craic but after the 1hr mark you could almost hear a BANG and there he was out of material! He then enticed aidan bishop (bad sign) up to do some hip hop...

He had Aidan Bishop on the Savage Eye too. Odd as he often tears into Des Bishop in his routines, plus the fact that Aidan Bishop has no comedic ability whatsoever.

• Advertisement

He had Aidan Bishop on the Savage Eye too. Odd as he often tears into Des Bishop in his routines, plus the fact that Aidan Bishop has no comedic ability whatsoever.

Absolutely none whatsoever :)

Advertisement