Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

who do you think knows more about people working in the software industry?

Those are my own observations from studying at college and keeping up with people for 10 years after graduation. Did you also know being pedantic is one of the 22 criteria for a diagnosis of autism under DSM-V and DISCO 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Those are my own observations from studying at college and keeping up with people for 10 years after graduation. Did you also know being pedantic is one of the 22 criteria for a diagnosis of autism under DSM-V and DISCO 10?

spare me your analysis. anyway this is way off topic

spare me your analysis.

Come on we have pedantic, because you are in computers we have attention to detail. Is there a failed marriage or marriage to a SNT? Is there an infatuation with a specific hobby? It never too late in my book, other may differ. We only need 4 of 22 to get a probable diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Get a room lads.

What about Al Porter?
    VIP style man of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

What about Al Porter?
    VIP style man of the year?
    What year ?

What year ?

2017 and he was a nominee not a winner.
    Its so strange, he resigned with no charges pressed. I would have stood firm if I was in the same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

2017 and he was a nominee not a winner.
    Its so strange, he resigned with no charges pressed. I would have stood firm if I was in the same position.

Sponsors and advertisers are the big powers now. I imagine he was pushed.

Sponsors and advertisers are the big powers now. I imagine he was pushed.

He who pays the penny calls the tune?
    S'pose but not everyone who makes an allegation should be taken seriously. They should have to prove time and place. I reckon at least have the people who make allegations are chancers.

He who pays the penny calls the tune?
    S'pose but not everyone who makes an allegation should be taken seriously. They should have to prove time and place. I reckon at least have the people who make allegations are chancers.

Depends on the allegations.

Like, to keep the thread on track-remember Brian Ormond? The most bland and gratingly annoying presenter you could meet.
    Had a few stints on singing competitions, didn't really get anywhere.

But he managed to get into kids TV. Was doing pretty well for himself. Had stints on lots of shows- fill ins on Winning Streak. Aired his wedding to Pippa O'Connor on a one hour special. (Nobody watched that crap(.
    And was given the hosting gig for the National Lottery's then new show, which was shown on youtube...

Then came the Viper... turns out Ormond had given folks bad financial advice. And the Viper came to collect. And Brians' show was still going. (Apparently some people invested up to 40 grand in Ormond's pyramid scheme).

Now you won't see Brian on anything... and that was less serious than Al Porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Like, to keep the thread on track-remember Brian Ormond? The most bland and gratingly annoying presenter you could meet.

But he managed to get into kids TV. Was doing pretty well for himself. Had stints on lots of shows- fill ins on Winning Streak. Aired his wedding to Pippa O'Connor on a one hour special. (Nobody watched that crap(.
    And was given the hosting gig for the National Lottery's then new show, which was shown on youtube...

Then came the Viper... turns out Ormond had given folks bad financial advice. And the Viper came to collect. And Brians' show was still going. (Apparently some people invested up to 40 grand in Ormond's pyramid scheme).

Now you won't see Brian on anything... and that was less serious than Al Porter.

That time he cocked up the lotto appearance has vanished from youtube. How the hell did he get those gigs anyway? Does that Pippa one have connections?

Hang on I was wrong the clip is still up. On phone so can't link.

That time he cocked up the lotto appearance has vanished from youtube. How the hell did he get those gigs anyway? Does that Pippa one have connections?

He did Winning Streak guest hosts when either Derek was out sick, or working on his radio show , or when Marty might be working on the Eurovision and couldn't be on the show.

Then there was the new owners of the Lottery, who were Canadian I think... and didn't understand the Irish audience. (They were the folks that axed Winning Streak for that dire Nicky Byrne show).
    They thought the IRish audience would watch a show broadcast on youtube... they wouldn't. And they thought Brian was an up and coming talent. He wasn't.
    It was a bizarre idea concocted by someone who didn't know the culture or audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wasn’t Brian ormond in a failed boy band before he transitioned into a budding career as a RTÉ host

I passed him on street a while back. He looked extremely p1ssed off with himself

As someone has said earlier in this thread or possibly in the al porter thread itself,

Alan kavanagh (his real name) ended up costing huge amounts to both tv3 and today fm due to the cancellation of his shows

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

//https://youtu.be/PfLtxm540Fw

Anyone remember Aine Chambers?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Anyone remember Aine Chambers?

Sorry, link wont work.
    Paste in to YouTube!

Wasn’t Brian ormond in a failed boy band before he transitioned into a budding career as a RTÉ host

I passed him on street a while back. He looked extremely p1ssed off with himself

I think so-did Pop Idol, You're a Star and other stuff to try and get into music.

Yeah, he was very bad PR for RTE and the National Lottery.
    He seriously messed up.
    As someone has said earlier in this thread or possibly in the al porter thread itself,

Alan kavanagh (his real name) ended up costing huge amounts to both tv3 and today fm due to the cancellation of his shows

Yep, a running pattern for folks like Brian Ormond and Porter-they lost folks money. Porter could have been a pervert in private, but once he lost (then TV3) money, he was dead on his butt.
    The media can always find a token gay guy to fill his place. And they found 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Rachel Murphy who played Jo in Fair City. Running a cleaning business now by all accounts.

I think to get into RTE, you must come through the Billie Barry School for talent its like a sorting house for Talent but no daddys cheque is refused on cashing.

I dont know where Brian Ormond came from but he must have had money to come through the Billie Barry School. Pippa O Connor the model is Cian O Connor's sister, the Show Jumper (remember the return Olympic medal due to doping with Bute?). His Uncle is Dr Anthony O Reilly (see Heinz, Waterford crystal and Providence Resources) . Cian O Connor was identified very early as potential olympic hopeful and he got heaps of money in sponsorship.

• Advertisement

I looked at him as a serious replacement for Pat Kenny (still a vacuous personality but with the right connections). He came through talent school, had money, connections and looked nice. He was the right age to be rising as Kenny was descending. He could have had a nice career that lasted a life time and been an RTE Luvvie but he was greedy.

Pat Kenny is in a different stratosphere to ormond intellectually speaking and in terms of broadcast talent

Shame on you for even mentioning the 2 in the same sentence!!

Pat Kenny is in a different stratosphere to ormond intellectually speaking and in terms of broadcast talent

Shame on you for even mentioning the 2 in the same sentence!!

Mea Culpa!
    Isnt all they really need is to appear luvvy on the TV/Radio for the domestic listeners and those not smart enough to turn off their TV and found better channels?

I often think Pat Kenny would have contributed more to society had he continued as a chemical engineer.

I often think stupider people make "more entertaining" television for the masses.

Pat Kenny in my opinion is STILL the best current affairs broadcaster on Irish radio even though he’s semi retired

Much better than Yates Sean o rourke Matt Pidgeon cooper

And of course diff league entirely to Miriam and the worst of them all Marian sandpaper pipes finucane

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I looked at him as a serious replacement for Pat Kenny (still a vacuous personality but with the right connections). He came through talent school, had money, connections and looked nice. He was the right age to be rising as Kenny was descending. He could have had a nice career that lasted a life time and been an RTE Luvvie but he was greedy.

His intellect would put him more in the tubridy fill in area than pat Kenny...pat Kenny is quite clever

Interesting he's been the victim of two vipers...before he was destroyed he used to tweet like an irish version of Gary lineker...on the fence, populist tweets combined with desperate paid for advertising tweets...then one evening he was sitting in watching the hardy bucks and tweeted his disdain for it and the viper retweeted it and poor Brian had to run and hide

His intellect would put him more in the tubridy fill in area than pat Kenny...pat Kenny is quite clever

Its not about being intellectually clever, its about being entertaining. If you want to be intellectually clever, got choose to watch an appropriate youtube channel, read a book, go for a walk with your kids in the countryside, visit a museum. If you want to be entertained, look at someone using self-deprecating humour.

Nobody is saying Pat Kenny isnt clever but he isnt entertaining. Hence Pat "the Plank". I find Jonathan Ross fantastically entertain but I dont think for a minute he could do trigonometry. Horses for courses.

Interesting he's been the victim of two vipers...before he was destroyed he used to tweet like an irish version of Gary lineker...on the fence, populist tweets combined with desperate paid for advertising tweets...then one evening he was sitting in watching the hardy bucks and tweeted his disdain for it and the viper retweeted it and poor Brian had to run and hide

There are certain people who should not have social media.

Its not about being intellectually clever, its about being entertaining. If you want to be intellectually clever, got choose to watch an appropriate youtube channel, read a book, go for a walk with your kids in the countryside, visit a museum. If you want to be entertained, look at someone using self-deprecating humour.

Nobody is saying Pat Kenny isnt clever but he isnt entertaining. Hence Pat "the Plank". I find Jonathan Ross fantastically entertain but I dont think for a minute he could do trigonometry. Horses for courses.

Pat kenny is an engineer so he's quite good at mathematics

• Advertisement

Sorry no

I don’t listen to hard current affairs topical shows for entertainment.

more interested in information and analysis. Not silly entertainment.

He was crap at light entertainment hosting the LLS yes.

But for topic current affairs politics etc he’s still the man

Advertisement