Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Sorry no

I don’t listen to hard current affairs topical shows for entertainment.

more interested in information and analysis. Not silly entertainment.

He was crap at light entertainment hosting the LLS yes.

But for topic current affairs politics etc he’s still the man

Yes but he may be accurate and articulate but he is boring to listen to. If he cant hold your attention, then that is a failure as a broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Jonathon Ross was on The Chase and was absolutely brilliant. Was very good himself, was the best on a very good team and won over 100k for their charities. Bradley Walsh reckoned they were one of the best teams ever on the show.
    Very wide range of knowledge. Sorry, if off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yes but he may be accurate and articulate but he is boring to listen to. If he cant hold your attention, then that is a failure as a broadcaster.

He's actually quite interesting to listen to

He's actually quite interesting to listen to

Content and delivery are two very different things. He aint called Pat "the plank" for nothing. Podge and Rodge caught him rotten.
    Podge :"How long are you doing the Late Late for?"
    Pat : "About 8 years"
    Rodge: "Do you ever think you will get the hang of it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You do know that opinions on such things can differ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Off topic but I have to respond

Sorry now that’s your individual opinion.

I actually find him enthralling to listen to at times.

He can discuss extremely complex issues with experts and tease out the details.

He is head and shoulders over the likes of Miriam or cooper or the worst of them all Yates (pure bluster and a bull****e merchant)

I would say he wasn’t great at light entertainment shows but

PK is still the king in terms of current affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Content and delivery are two very different things. He aint called Pat "the plank" for nothing. Podge and Rodge caught him rotten.
    Podge :"How long are you doing the Late Late for?"
    Pat : "About 8 years"
    Rodge: "Do you ever think you will get the hang of it?"

the late late show isnt interesting

the late late show isnt interesting

I know but it used to ..... once upon a time, in a Galaxy far far away.....
    They used to invest in having real stars like Spike Milligan, Cher, Larry Hagman, Billy Connelly, .... now its just..... actually I dont know I havent watched RTE or Irish mainstream media in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

They used to invest in having real stars like Spike Milligan, Cher, Larry Hagman, Billy Connelly, .... now its just..... actually I dont know I havent watched RTE or Irish mainstream media in years.

now its all about promoting their collegues books or acting work

very little worth while content on it anymore

now its all about promoting their collegues books or acting work

very little worth while content on it anymore

I used to love a good interview, regardless of whether you liked the person in question. I understand some of the logic of why would you pay for an A-B class celebrity when they are all available on social Media?

But you see someone like Graham Norton or Andy Carr and they create great energy in a interview with mixes of film stars, singers and comedians. Whenever I say Pat Kenny on TV, I used to turn over to check up on the scores on the world paint drying championships in Skegness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Off topic but I have to respond

Sorry now that’s your individual opinion.

I actually find him enthralling to listen to at times.

He can discuss extremely complex issues with experts and tease out the details.

He is head and shoulders over the likes of Miriam or cooper or the worst of them all Yates (pure bluster and a bull****e merchant)

I would say he wasn’t great at light entertainment shows but

PK is still the king in terms of current affairs

We've had a lot of disagreement on this thread. Skooter's entitled to their opinion, even if you or I do research and draw an entirely differently conclusion.
    But it's agree to disagree-none of us are going to to get violent over it.

Anyways. IS Andrew Maxwell still lingering around like a bad smell, or has he gotten lost yet?
    I see Tara Flynn has started writing articles about 'how to be a proper ally to lgbt/ trans people' aka total nonsense articles to fill up the dying RTE website.

She's gone off of 'comedy' I guess.

Anyways. IS Andrew Maxwell still lingering around like a bad smell, or has he gotten lost yet?
    I see Tara Flynn has started writing articles about 'how to be a proper ally to lgbt/ trans people' aka total nonsense articles to fill up the dying RTE website.

She's gone off of 'comedy' I guess.

Andrew Maxwell is hilarious, when he talks about Junkies on his DVDs. Havent seen him lately.

Who is Tara Flynn?

Edit: Just looked her up, she looks like Linda Martins little sister.

Andrew Maxwell is hilarious, when he talks about Junkies on his DVDs. Havent seen him lately.

Who is Tara Flynn?

Edit: Just looked her up, she looks like Linda Martins little sister.

It's low hanging fruit that Andrew tends to go for... and he often misses a gag while he's doing it. Alright at riffing or oneliners. But that's it.

Tara Flynn is a terrible comedian who makes most of her money from voiceovers and adverts. Does some acting from time to time too.

Her last high profile gig was the introducer on Blind Date, the Irish version. She loved to do the same crap as so many 'white feminists' as in 'white privilege', 'patriarchy' etc Considering she's doing the comedy circuit, she must have known about Al Porter... even Jarlath Regan knew about him. Kept quiet when it meant a paycheck tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

It's low hanging fruit that Andrew tends to go for... and he often misses a gag while he's doing it. Alright at riffing or oneliners. But that's it.

Tara Flynn is a terrible comedian who makes most of her money from voiceovers and adverts. Does some acting from time to time too.

Her last high profile gig was the introducer on Blind Date, the Irish version. She loved to do the same crap as so many 'white feminists' as in 'white privilege', 'patriarchy' etc Considering she's doing the comedy circuit, she must have known about Al Porter... even Jarlath Regan knew about him. Kept quiet when it meant a paycheck tho.

Tara Flynn was one of the girls in the painting in Rimini Riddle along with Claudia Carroll. She hasn't done much of note since.

We dont have a great history of Whistle blowers here in Ireland. I mean its usually the one who talks first gets the chop. I would like someone in the LGBTQ+ community say that that stuff doesnt be going on in members clubs and so on. Its fairly laissez faire in certain cliques of that community. I think it was more of a hatchet job to be fair. I am not condoning it, I am saying those are things that do be going on.
    They are all on the paycheck, it is in noones interest to rock the boat. nobody wants to employ a trouble maker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What are Podge & Rodge doing these days? Are they still on?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What are Podge & Rodge doing these days? Are they still on?

Dont know, dont watch RTE no more. But I do love coming back from the pub with chips and putting on the old DVDs and watch one before bed. Those lads were always making money on the RTE gravy train. It was Zig and Zag, then Podge and Rodge and they must be minted on DVD sales from the Celtic tiger and they had a stint on MTV and Channel 4. I hope they had a good Manager/Financial advisor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

DVDs?? Do people still have those?? ;)

DVDs?? Do people still have those?? ;)

Yup in the country you can never depend on the internet or trust hard disk drives, DVDs well kept will last for years. I think I have about 12 Podge and Rodge DVD's between the interviews and the Scare at bed times

Yup in the country you can never depend on the internet or trust hard disk drives, DVDs well kept will last for years. I think I have about 12 Podge and Rodge DVD's between the interviews and the Scare at bed times

Yeah, DVD's, Blu-Rays... I'm the same, I keep em all. Especially now that so many streaming services are starting to edit 'problematic' stuff from older movies. (Disney are going to remove the Crows from the original Dumbo when the film streams on Disney + in the US. Netflix went back and edited out a suicide scene from 13 Reasons why about a year or two after the series aired).

It's highly recommended to keep some form of physical copy of something, because streaming services will happily edit or remove something, even if it screws up the original story.

• Advertisement

Haha was just messing. Have a few myself although I find myself watching them less and less.

Haha was just messing. Have a few myself although I find myself watching them less and less.

Ah.

Also, Podge and Rodge's return went as well as a Lost Prophets reunion tour, with Ian Watkins returning on vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭mcgragger

These days they are only short of interviewing the cameraman and his lighting electrician.

Its rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

(DJ) Spiral from Big Brother?
    From the first series;Tommy from Tyrone,I know Anna from that series was doing Irish TV but that seems to have dried up a bit.

There was a Ray Hogan I think who was caught bashing the bishop on another series who I think was a DJ on a Dublin radio station.

Mark whadyoucallhim that was on a Dublin type Geordie shore.

There was loads of others from Ireland who were contestants that I cant recall but most of them were good TV which is why they keep sticking them in there but they eventually fade back in to ordinary lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Irish model Olivia Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

tipptom wrote: »
    From the first series;Tommy from Tyrone,I know Anna from that series was doing Irish TV but that seems to have dried up a bit.

There was a Ray Hogan I think who was caught bashing the bishop on another series who I think was a DJ on a Dublin radio station.

Mark whadyoucallhim that was on a Dublin type Geordie shore.

There was loads of others from Ireland who were contestants that I cant recall but most of them were good TV which is why they keep sticking them in there but they eventually fade back in to ordinary lives.
    Anna Nolan is the only one of that bunch who rings a bell with me. She got a lot of presenting slots on RTE but never seemed to last long term in anything, Ask Anna which was some sort of agony aunt show being one that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    JJ72

I remember they were tipped to be huge - I think they had a song on 'The O.C.' or 'One Tree Hill', all over the radio for a while, then they sort of fizzled out.
    tipptom wrote: »

Tom from Tyrone married one of the other contestants (but not the girl he shifted while in the house, a different one). Anna was on the telly here until recently enough, hadn't noticed she was gone.

Ray Shah, I think you mean - he's on Q102, he used to DJ in Barcode back in the day.

Brian Dowling had a good run at presenting for a while, he was still on television for a fair few years after his Big Brother appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

branie2 wrote: »
    Irish model Olivia Tracey

Dated my uncle's friend for a while. But they split up about 18 months ago.

Anna Nolan is the only one of that bunch who rings a bell with me. She got a lot of presenting slots on RTE but never seemed to last long term in anything, Ask Anna which was some sort of agony aunt show being one that springs to mind.

She's got some agony aunt show in the pipeline too-there's been a few adverts for it on RTE.
    Essentially, it's the reverse version of that Baz show, Wingman. In that it's a Wing-woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

El Tarangu wrote: »

Ray Shah, I think you mean - he's on Q102, he used to DJ in Barcode back in the day.

He left Q102 about 8 years ago. On iRadio now

Advertisement