Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Admin, can something be done about this?

Frank Kelly is an interesting example of someone who disappeared from the spotlight and reappeared again. He did a lot of stuff on RTE in the 70's/early 80's. Halls Pictorial Weekly, Wanderly Wagon, Anois is Arís plus he had things like the Christmas Countdown song which was a hit in the UK as well, resulting in him appearing on Top Of The Tops. There was a pretty extended period though from about the mid 80's onwards where his profile waned. He was making the odd appearance in movies like Taffin etc and doing voiceover work in ads but I remember first reading about Fr Ted and seeing the pictures of him as Fr Jack and thinking, Frank Kelly, there's a blast from the past. One of the few interviews I remember him giving in the wilderness period was in a magazine, can't remember which, where he talked about how he had taken up bodybuilding and had overcome cancer. This was circa 1990/91.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Emmet Bergin, aka Dick Moran in Glenroe. He was one of main stars of it. But I dont recall him in much else after it finished

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

I think Des Bishop is on the road to becoming another ex celebrity . His trademark was observational comedy of the American living in Ireland and brilliantly sending up our idiosyncrasies. But we took him as one of our own.

However now he has basically moved back to the States and married a basically posh east coast American woman. Apparently he is now very happy but it's not going to be great for his comedy career, he can't really go back on the Irish comedy circuit and do his schtick again because this time he is a 100% American. He is basically unknown in the US and can't really reverse the roles over there and point out the US idiosyncrasies as a full blooded American. He no longer has a trademark

Yeah, he was one of the core cast and was in it from the very beginning. Only thing I can remember him in post Glenroe was Veronica Guerin. Would have been difficult to escape typecasting as Dick Moran. Must be pushing on in years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reclose

Des bishop was never good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Des was a limited comedian who, even when listening to his podcast (the one or two episodes I did listen to) came across as kind of a douche. The Maeve Higgin's interview, for one, was him trying to make all sorts of assumptions, or deny culpability regarding things that might have been said.

He was none too liked on the Irish scene, especially most recently. I don't think he was ever 'one of our own'... he just had the (short lived) observances of the difference between the Irish and the Americans. Problem is, that was short lived. And then his ego took off. (Apparently he threw a hissy fit over not winning an Ifta for his 'Des learns Gaelige' series).

Tried to make it in China and, also got engaged, but nothing happened, and he swiftly came back home. The relationship ended because he may have cheated on his fiancee (by his own insinuations, at least).

He became a photographer.

http://www.victorsloan.com/2012/01/30-contemporary-collection-print-draw.html

He was shooting photography part time while he was acting, but when Glenroe ended, he gave up acting and went into photography full time. I remember seeing his work mentioned with regards to photography, years ago. But I think he might do the odd bit of theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

"He was none too liked on the Irish scene, especially most recently. I don't think he was ever 'one of our own'... he just had the (short lived) observances of the difference between the Irish and the Americans. Problem is, that was short lived. And then his ego took off. (Apparently he threw a hissy fit over not winning an Ifta for his 'Des learns Gaelige' series)."

Tried to make it in China and, also got engaged, but nothing happened, and he swiftly came back home. The

relationship ended because he may have cheated on his fiancee (by his own insinuations, at least).

Yea good observation, although I thought he was funny but he started losing the plot with that whole as gaelga thing , why would you go to all that effort to try and learn Irish just for a comedy show, if an Irish born comedian tried to do it you would be scratching your head.

Then trying to repeat in China ???

He probably thought a decade ago China was the happening place but I think his ideas were over indulged by RTE especially when they binned a lot of Dermot Morgan's stuff. They probably had a wet dream when he did the Des as gaelge thing

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Don Conroy, last time I seen or heard of him was when he visited my sons school and done maybe a 10min painting class, I'm talking late 00's , an absolute gentleman may I add

He has a youtube channel. He's very busy. Apparently voicing a character in a new TV show, according to his insta.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4dO9D4okn25M6mvfB02rQ/videos

• Advertisement

Remember Joanna Ryde? A poor persons Shirley Temple Bar.

Tweets on twitter. Probably doing some clubs or some gigs to pay the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Saw him in a pub with whom I presumed to be family of his… pre pandemic…

he was ordering beside me… caught me giving him a sorta “ jaysus is that yer man” look, as I hadn’t seen or thought of him in years and he just gave me a polite hello, he was polite, friendly and gracious with staff and had the air of a nice happy person who was content in and with life….saw him not long ago in the same pub..

does free art instruction on YouTube, catering to kids and adults alike…

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4dO9D4okn25M6mvfB02rQ/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Also, his other schtick, the 'my dad was nearly James Bond' was as I can ascertain, exagerrated.

I'm not saying Mike Bishop didn't audition to be Bond, but the fact it is, every male actor, model, TV continuity announcer/broadcaster in Britain if not the Commonwealth, and a few ex-servicemen who were tall and handsome and somewhere between 25 and 40 (with a few outside the age bracket) auditioned. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of auditionees totalled over 5 digits.

Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if Terry Wogan who used to say that he was turned down for having big ears was telling the truth. Simon Dee and Peter Snow auditioned.

So, yeah, Mike Bishop probably auditioned, but Des claims he screen-tested. I'm not sure, because if he did, then he did not get into the final group before they chose Lazenby. That final group included John Richardson, who was in Hammer's She and One Million Years BC and three other guys who were utter non-entities - Anthony Rogers (not Anton Rodgers per some claim), Robert Campbell and Hans de Vries.

And certainly, I've never seen his name up come outside Des' own stuff.

Never in the long list of names online of actors who were considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

By an odd coincidence I am watching the film She with John Richardson as I type this.

Yeah, but the title 'My dad was never even considered to play James Bond, and I'm stretching the truth so hard I've broken something' doesn't have the same ring to it.

I did watch that special. I found it moving, but then I was coming from a similar experience to what Des's family went through. (Lost my dad to cancer, many years before he did. Different cancer though). So I understood the complex emotions that you deal with during such a time. It was flawed, but it was one of the few things I found he genuinely put his heart into. Wasn't just some pretentious twaddle like he has made in more recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Clever

Odhran

actually haven't seen much of Hector recently, I know he's doing a podcast with Tommy Tiernan but haven't seen him on the TV. have the Galway races ads started yet even "let yourself gooooo" !!

He nearly always returns to TG4. He's starting to wear a hat now, cos the hair is going and 'brushing it forward' isn't working for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm not sure if she was mentioned before but readers of a certain age will remember Yvonne Costelloe flaunting herself in front of the press and scandalising the nation back in the 1970's.

Ireland's first glamour model (and former Miss Ireland), no edition of the Sunday Independent was complete without a photo of the buxom wench.

Googled her. She's a psychic now. 60 quid a reading.

She popped up in Fair City. Thought this was a gag, but no, she played a character. They've had some.... odd... choices on that soap.

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/1083/001.html

May McFettridge , my apologies if the entertainer has passed away

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still working. UTV making less and less local content and also not being on cable anymore / sky at all without faffing means most people don't get exposed to weird Nordie stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

And for that we should be grateful. They made Mrs Brown look like the height of sophistication

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

RE:Yyonne Costello/e, seems she did do some 'dolly' roles in Britain - a bit part in the Morecambe and Wise Show and an appearance in the David Niven heister A Nightingale Sangin Berkeley Square. Not exactly taxing work, but some experience, perhaps not with dialogue though.

Might have been mentioned before, Aidan Walsh, outsider musician/eccentric character. He had a brief brush with mainstream fame of a sort in the late 80s when he made a few memorably bizarre RTE appearances in particular on the music quiz Number One. I'd largely forgotten about him till the documentary about him came out in 2000. Think I last heard of him when some terrible looking movie he started in or directed was featured on the Blizzard Of Odd.

Sports a huge beard now. This is a photo, taken from his public facebook page. This is from February of last year.

https://www.facebook.com/aidanwalsh.dublin/

Still very prolific.

Brush Sheilds and Dicky Rock

• Advertisement

Shiels was on Tommy Tiernan a while back. He's trying to break sprinting records.

Dickie Rock is taking time out, I believe. His wife passed away in April, and it hit him hard.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/showband-legend-dickie-rocks-wife-26804322

Advertisement