Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Radio5 wrote: »
    Brian O'Connell. RTE news.London. Must be the first UK General Election coverage without him in many years.

I know they've a new London correspondent now. I just wonder what Brian is doing now.

He went to Sky News.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cuchullain and the Fianna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

endacl wrote: »
    Cuchullain and the Fianna.

Are you telling me you don't know what happened to Oisin from the Fianna?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

What was the name of that bloke with the silver hair who used to be on RTE and teach painting? Not Don Conroy. Someone else. Wizened features IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

What was the name of that bloke with the silver hair who used to be on RTE and teach painting? Not Don Conroy. Someone else. Wizened features IIRC.

It was Frank Clarke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 nick1959

Whatever happened to his organist Norman off Quicksilver? He was some cousin of my mother's father.
    Stop The Lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

What about Alison Doody. She was in one of the Indiana Jones movies and was never heard of again.

What about Alison Doody. She was in one of the Indiana Jones movies and was never heard of again.
    She's one of those people who appeared in Spielberg films who never had much of a career after like Brad Johnson in Always or Joey the Horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

I last remember her in The Clinic on RTE a few years back.

What about Deirdre O'Kane's sister? She used to do some kind of show about buying houses abroad few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

She was also in Taffin with Pierce Brosnan

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Diden't she marry a property developer or something like that and more or less retire from acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Looks like shes on her third tycoon according to Wiki lol

Doody married Gavin O'Reilly, CEO of the Independent News & Media on 25 June 1994, at the O'Reilly family residence Castlemartin. The couple made their home at Bartra House,[4] a 10,000-square-foot (930 m2) home overlooking the sea in Dalkey; at the time of purchase, the most expensive house in Ireland.[5] The marriage produced two daughters (Alanna in 1996; Lauren in 1999). She separated from O'Reilly in 2004, and divorced him in 2006.[6]

During the 2011 filming of comedy-drama Beaver Falls in South Africa, Doody met Douglas De Jager, a packaging tycoon from Cape Town. The couple had been keeping their relationship low-key, before De Jager died of a heart attack in July 2012.[7]

She was engaged in October 2014 to food tycoon Tadhg Geary.[8]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Anyone who took a job at utv ireland!

FrostyJim wrote: »

Seeing as no one watches that channel I don't think they've any spotlight to disappear from.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Aren't they still on the air??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Don Conroy from the Den - he was on Moone Boy a few weeks ago.
    Living in Wexford where he does a radio series each year with two partners on birdlife and other nature topics for broadcast on local radio stations.

Here's their website profile page.

Who was that Dublin comedian who was kidnapped and held to ransom by criminals in the early 90s?They had a Late Late Show special dedicated to him shortly afterwards,he was painfully unfunny.I don't think I'd ever heard of him before that whole thing and thankfully he seemed to pretty much disappear afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

darkdubh wrote: »
    Who was that Dublin comedian who was kidnapped and held to ransom by criminals in the early 90s?They had a Late Late Show special dedicated to him shortly afterwards,he was painfully unfunny.I don't think I'd ever heard of him before that whole thing and thankfully he seemed to pretty much disappear afterwards.

Ben Dunne? :pac:

No mention of a comedian in the synopsis of Paul Howard's book on the 80s/90s IRA kidnappings. I doubt it even claims to be comprehensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

George Murphy. About 10 years ago he won a talent competition. Amazing voice, like a young Luke Kelly. I'd forgotten about him until I saw an old tape at home with a couple of his songs on it.
    I got his CD off Amazon a couple of weeks ago, and it's excellent. Shame his fame didn't last very long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No clue who this is??????

Anyone know them?

• Advertisement

Noel V. Ginnity, was it? He still plays pubs and charity galas.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/two-decades-of-high-profile-kidnappings-1.1095684

Aglomerado wrote: »
    George Murphy. About 10 years ago he won a talent competition. Amazing voice, like a young Luke Kelly. I'd forgotten about him until I saw an old tape at home with a couple of his songs on it.
    I got his CD off Amazon a couple of weeks ago, and it's excellent. Shame his fame didn't last very long.

I actually think he came second or third in You're A Star.
    Every person who wins You're A Star/The Voice since the Eurovision angle was dropped has disappeared within six months of winning.
    No Eurovision overlook show to briefly give them a spot of minor sub-recognition each year...

Noel V. Ginnity, was it? He still plays pubs and charity galas.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/two-decades-of-high-profile-kidnappings-1.1095684

Yes thats the guy.I'd never heard of him before the kidnapping case,but he got an entire Late Late Show special dedicated to him not long afterwards where he did several stand up routines.Sweet Jesus,he was the most painfully unfunny so called "comedian" I've ever seen on TV and thats saying a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

was it Noel V Ginnity? I'm a huge comedy fan but i know his name as his brother was chairman of the meath co. GAA board in the 80's!! I would deffo not know him from "comedy" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Aglomerado wrote: »
    think the poor chap was gettin awful crap from jealous locals...think he got arrested for defending himself at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

BOHtox wrote: »
    Clare Tully

Gave up everything, closed her websites/social media, changed her hair colour & style & moved to the UK to continue her education.

I think she may have changed her name also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

think the poor chap was gettin awful crap from jealous locals...think he got arrested for defending himself at one point.

Really? That's sad. Feck the begrudgers. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

BOHtox wrote: »
    Clare Tully

I used to really like Clare's nice...eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,180 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I actually think he came second or third in You're A Star.
    Every person who wins You're A Star/The Voice since the Eurovision angle was dropped has disappeared within six months of winning.
    No Eurovision overlook show to briefly give them a spot of minor sub-recognition each year...

YAS winners or contestants do better than TVOI winners or contestants :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Back in the 90s 2fm had a female DJ that went by the name of Suzanne Duffy. Left radio to write a book and hasn't been seen since.

Advertisement