Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough costs of internal upgrade work

Options
  • 13-03-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

So, at the moment we're looking at a house that we're considering buying. Great location, great site. Our main issue is that it was built in the 1970s, and aside from moving from oil to gas sometime in the late 90's, it doesn't look like they've done a thing to the house.

It's quite close to the top of our budget, so we're trying to work out the feasibility of moving in, doing a few basic things to it, and then chipping away at it over time. The question is over what our initial costs are going to be. So our plan would be to move in and strip out wallpaper and carpets, clean and redecorate upstairs. Easy peasy.

But it has been pointed out to me that the internal walls upstairs are not your modern timber-stud partitions, they're the old eggbox walls. Attempting to strip the old chipboard wallpaper from these walls could take half of the plaster with it. As such, I think tearing down the walls and putting in timber studs is the way to go. So I'm looking to find out the cost of that - someone doing the whole lot (removal, fitting, insulation, skimming, wiring, etc). There are four internal partitions that need replacing, probably about 21m in total.

If it was easy/possible to remove the wallpaper, then I'd consider that, though tbh I'd like to get the bedrooms at least cleaned up so that there's minimal upheaval later on.

It was also suggested to me that before any electrician can even come in and check the wiring (and potentially before we can even get insured), the old bottle fuseboard needs to be replaced with a modern distribution board, and that's around €800. Sound right?

It's also been suggested that we should get a complete boiler replacement, replumb and rads replaced too. 8 rads in total. What ballpark are we looking at with for that?

That is of course assuming that if we get an engineer out that there's no rotting wood in the attic :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

seamus wrote: »
    That is of course assuming that if we get an engineer out that there's no rotting wood in the attic :D
    :eek: if?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Internal repair and renovation I say rough 200e/m2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We replaced a boiler, and got 10 new rads last year in an old house. Cost was €4500 if I remember rightly.
    I can't help you with the rest, other than to say that we've paid a plasterer €130/day, with us supplying materials for some plastering work we've had done.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MicktheMan wrote: »
    :eek: if?
    Well, we'll definitely get one out if we decide to buy the house :D

Thanks guys, really useful info

Advertisement