Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Children's film or TV shows that were too F-ed up for kids?

• 13-03-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Recently seen the film Return to Oz. This was a children's film where Dorothy was sent to a mental institution, a witch has a case full of disembodied heads and there's a desert where people turn to sand if they touch it :confused::confused:. Retrospectively this seemed a bit adult for kids. What TV shows or films disturbed you as a kid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 LookLordSugar

Ulysses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The witches, The little princess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

HR Pufnstuf. The 60's version I knew. Apparently remade, ignore that one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

Forty Coats was a bit warped at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Some episodes of Worzel Gummidge. The Crowmaster kept threatening to throw him on the bonfire if he was bad. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

Without a doubt, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (due to the child catcher)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

Ruu wrote: »
    Some episodes of Worzel Gummidge. The Crowmaster kept threatening to throw him on the bonfire if he was bad. :(

Not only that - but he could literally rip his own head off and stick on another one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Also, Aunt Sally in Worzel Gummidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

"The Boy From Space" really freaked me out when I was a kid.
    I saw it in school but I have no idea why they showed it to us. That's the early eighties for you I guess...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifqn0vursW8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The Dark Crystal

Everything in those days was ****ed up and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dante2015

we used to watch a program called middle english in primary school i was about 8 and they showed a ghost story

basically a family go on holiday to a cottage in the middle of nowhere everything is fine till dad turns up and thats when the crying starts,

they turn on the radio there is wailing, they go to sleep and there is wailing, everywhere in the house there is just this crying they dont know where it is coming from and then turn on the tele and an old womans face appears and is wailing and crying, turn out she thought the dad was her long dead son and she came back as a ghost and was crying over him,

scared the **** out of me i couldnt sleep for weeks after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watership Down!

Ren & Stimpy fairly pushed it for a kids show, they got in trouble quite a few times with Nickelodeon about sneaking things in kids definitely wouldn't have picked up on.

One episode they were salesmen selling the old rubber nipples for milk bottles. They get to one house, a husband and wife, where the innuendo is laid on thick and the husband is told by her that he has perfectly good nipples that he never uses. He replies back that they're all old and chewed up :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

"Jack-a$$", children smoking cigars, drinking beer - this would be an 18s rated movie by today's certification standards. I saw this as a child and didn't think much of it, but I saw it again recently and I couldn't believe what was being shown as a 'kids' film. I know it's a cartoon and by Disney, but even still, this would not be given a kids rating today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ren and Stimpy.

Watched it recently again and I actually could not believe this could ever have been broadcast to children. It's often inappropriate but constantly deeply disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭robfowler78

+1 for water ship down thought the general was going to get me for years after......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ren and Stimpy.

Watched it recently again and I actually could not believe this could ever have been broadcast to children. It's often inappropriate but constantly deeply disturbing.

Disturbingly hilarious :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If I was gonna pick any kids show that is totally inappropriate for kids, it has to be 'Bratz'

Horrible show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Children of the Stones
    The Tomorrow People
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    Shadows (ITV)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Theflyingegg

Have to admit the show Goosebumps used to scare the daylights out of me as a kid. Yet I watched it every week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

The queen post transformation in Snow White scares the **** out of me to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Similar to Ren & Stimpy; Rocko's Modern Life. Watched an episode a few weeks ago where Rocko's elderly neighbour felt unloved by her husband and proceeded to spend the episode trying to seduce Rocko. Brilliant but clearly targeted towards adults on a kids channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Thank this post and you will get a complimentary anema and a foot massage by a man with leprosy.

Rimini Riddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Animal farm was a bit too warped for kids. Then again a lot of stuff from the 70's and early 80's was fairly dodgy, yet we all survived. Looking back at the kids programming from those days it seems that most of the stuff was made by people off their heads on drugs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

The Animals of Farthing Wood, loved it as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Thomas the Tank Engine

Is mean come on, talking trains..

He didn't have it easy when it finished...

http://usvsth3m.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DdFQL3t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Ruu wrote: »
    Worzel Gummidge terrified me as a child. Seriously creepy stuff.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watership Down has already been mentioned but scared the **** out of me.

The Last Unicorn was quite traumatic for me too.

Rocko's Modern Life was great and I seem to remember Earthworm Jim being in a similar vein in terms of jokes that were aimed at adults.

In terms of more contemporary stuff I don't see how a child would truly appreciate the psychedelic weirdness of Adventure Time or Spongebob Squarepants. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

Its got a Universal cert! Its terrifying.
    • Banshee
    • Scary ghost coach
    • Eh, did I mention the banshee?
    • Sean Connery's Irish accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I found most fairy tales scary, none more so than The Snow Queen.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is an awful thing to watch as a small child, my parents took me to the stage show in the West End and I was terrified. I dreamt about The Child Catcher for a long time afterwards.

Good family fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The Moomins used to weird me out as a kid :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Macavity. wrote: »
    The Animals of Farthing Wood, loved it as a child.

This was the most depressing cartoon ever. Something awful always happened in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Whenever a thread like this pops up I always end up mentioning Are you Afraid of the Dark? Some episodes (the clown one, dead ghost kid with red jacket) were just terrifying. It ended up getting banned in our house.

The first Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. That scene in the tunnel was nuts and really not suitable for young children.

There was an Australian TV show, Round the Twist, that had a few eerie episodes which, I guess you could say, freaked me out.

Nothing else really springs to mind. Maybe Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭circadian

Ren and Stimpy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Worzel Gummidge
    That scary robot/computer monster woman from superman.
    The Ernest film with the troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭circadian

The Batman cartoon was pretty dark, great too.

Some Animaniacs stuff was a bit close to the wire and Freakazoid was plain mental. First episode has a voyer/kid snatcher in a trenchcoat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Rimini Riddle.

/thread.

Its amazing how few people remember this program. Maybe some people were so traumatised by it their mind purged it from their minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

So messed up. Poor Ash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Round the Twist had some genuinely creepy episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the answers lies in what particular drugs were popular in the era that the kids programmes were made

those wild weekends that the wide eyed producers and creators experienced were not left at the studio door at 9am Monday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Animal farm was a bit too warped for kids. Then again a lot of stuff from the 70's and early 80's was fairly dodgy, yet we all survived. Looking back at the kids programming from those days it seems that most of the stuff was made by people off their heads on drugs. :D

I'm sure George Orwell didn't have kids as his target market when he wrote Animal Farm but it was easier to film it in animation than real life.

Rimini Riddle has already been mentioned, and when I watched it, I was probably a 20 year old student, watching along with my younger siblings. Great stuff!

This is the only clip that seems to exist:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Don't know if anybody mentioned Courage the Cowardly Dog, but between "Return the Slab" and the fungus episode, I was fairly traumatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Animaniacs really pushed it far sometimes... the 'finger Prince' joke went waay over my head as a kid!!!:D

Santa leaving "a big load" is another one from animaniacs.:pac:
    Falthyron wrote: »
    "Jack-a$$", children smoking cigars, drinking beer - this would be an 18s rated movie by today's certification standards. I saw this as a child and didn't think much of it, but I saw it again recently and I couldn't believe what was being shown as a 'kids' film. I know it's a cartoon and by Disney, but even still, this would not be given a kids rating today.

Just goes to show that we're over protective these days. And yet kids are still far less innocent today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Used to scare the **** outa me when I was a kid. Straight paedo vibes off this lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh I forgot about Eerie Indiana too, some creepy episodes in that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement