Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for bit of soil enhancement ?

• 13-03-2015 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I have a few hedges around front and back gardens I wonder is it time now to put something around the hedges to try and bring them on a bit this summer see pic sang suggestions appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a bit early to tell from photos, but it looks to me as though all they need is a bit of trimming/shaping. They look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

looksee wrote: »
    Its a bit early to tell from photos, but it looks to me as though all they need is a bit of trimming/shaping. They look good.

Thks that is very re assuring . This will be their 5 th sunmer I think. They are still very gappy I wanted them to grow 8 or 9 feet to cover back garden fence. Lady year they came on a bit I was happy. I put soil conditioner and a few seeds that take a while to break down with nutrients. I would be afraid to cut back or trim or anything as I want them to fill out into each other. Though when I planted them I put foot apart going they would form a nice bushy type! Hedge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Most hedges you need to cut them back to bring them on. If you don't cut them they grow straight up instead when you cut them new growth starts and make them bushy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As fiestaman says, you need to trim the tops off to make them bushy and a better hedge. I know it seems counter-intuitive to cut them down when you want them to grow tall, but you really do have to!

Advertisement