Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SecureComm Notification problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sadbob

They're selling the app on the android market - it should work or if it doesn't they shouldn't have released an android app for it until the sorted it. I bought a new android phone that had v4 to cope with the app as my other phone was a bit older and couldn't upgrade to kitkat. Had I known I might have bought one with a different OS....... What annoys me more is we purchased a load of other HKC products to enhance our system at the same time. I may yet recall the DD for the annual sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

altor wrote: »
    That is correct. It was an issue re google. If you had a apple or windows phone this worked with no problems. I am not defending the issues re this and I do agree with you that it should of being handled better by HKC.

We have 3 smart phones in our house with the HKC app. None of the phones had any sort of android firmware upgrade in the last 3 months and the HKC app stopped receiving notifications out of the blue.

HKC made some sort of untested system changes or had some sort of infrastructure issues which affected notifications on all android phones.
    We can't blame Android and Google for that, just because whatever change they made in there impacted/wiped out coverage to Android customers. That's like saying that it is Audi's fault if the car won't start after the engine has been knicked.

If they did not know about the issue, after a week, then they aren't monitoring. The fact that the issue occurred in the first place shows that they aren't testing their software before making key changes.

It is pretty much unacceptable.
    sadbob wrote: »
    They're selling the app on the android market - it should work or if it doesn't they shouldn't have released an android app for it until the sorted it.

In the end of the day they are using their customers as Guinea Pigs for their system enhancements and changes. I'll bet that they have no test team in there at all. Just a developer there, some lanky nerd in front of a PC slugging cheap coffee from a straw. That's how it comes across HKC - untested, unfinished and unprofessional.

Then expecting installers to take the rap for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

sadbob wrote: »
    Yes they should be notified. We're paying a company called Security & Risk Communications Ltd on behalf of HKC Ltd. I don't know the link between the two.

Basically it's HKC
    2 of the same directors. Same owner.
    http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Security-And-Risk-Communications-Limited-417550

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sadbob

Thanks, so effectively same company as from the consumer's view point. Still, poor service and the lack of communication/interaction from them is really really poor.

I don't chase my Sky installer for faults if they occur with the service, I pay Sky a sub and expect a service from them as one would expect as I now do with HKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

None of this addresses the issue we are having of the WiFi cards crapping out our network... when the card is enabled our wifi / local house network shuts down.. a reboot of the router sorted it.. for a while.. now with the wifi card (€150) fully disabled .. wifi is fine, no issues....

Anybody else?

(I can give a better more tech view.. but we'll leave it at this for the moment)

• Advertisement

"Connection Lost" at 02.59.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

nicnac wrote: »
    "Connection Lost" at 02.59.

Have you contacted your installer about this problem?

Have you contacted your installer about this problem?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

nicnac wrote: »
    Yes

And?

Just like to add that HKC are actually very keen to assist customers experiencing any issues with their product. We raised our issue with them and they are working with us and our installer. It is looking like a piece of faulty equipment was behind the majority of our problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

I have been having this same problem with not getting notifications via the app. Had tried everything. Just on a final effort, I turned off the WiFi on my phone and hey presto the app notifications started to come.

The wifi is not connected to the alarm in any way. The alarm has its own gsm card.

So while I have identified the problem I dont know how to fix it. Is it an issue for my broadband provider?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I have been having this same problem with not getting notifications via the app. Had tried everything. Just on a final effort, I turned off the WiFi on my phone and hey presto the app notifications started to come.

The wifi is not connected to the alarm in any way. The alarm has its own gsm card.

So while I have identified the problem I dont know how to fix it. Is it an issue for my broadband provider?

Try using WiFi from somewhere else. HKC weirdly uses port 50001, some networks block all ports apart from 53/80/443 just to allow web traffic. This is common in workplaces or large corporate networks. Also check any firewall or security software on your device may be blocking it.

If it works on 3G/4G then it's unlikely to be hkc issue

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

I have done some further testing and realised that that app notifications are working with wifi on and off. However, it does not notify me if the panic button is pressed. This is the case whether the alarm is on or off

Advertisement