Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nct nightmare

• 13-03-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. Hope this is the right place for this.

According to NCT (taken from an Irish Times article which I can't link to for some reason)

"All National Car Test (NCT) appointments can be organised within two weeks if motorists inquire through the right means, the organisation has confirmed"

I rang NCT centre on the 11/02/15 as I couldn't get an appointment within my expiry date cert as now out of date & I'll receive a fine of €60 & 3 penalty points!!!

How is this just, right or fair?

Anyone know what I do now??

Paula.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I was waiting for an appointment since before christmas and was on the cacelation list. I rang back near the end of jan to see why i had not got a appointment as it was over 4 weeks and was told that they hadnt even my request listed.
    K, thought it might be mix up over the holidays.
    So asked again to be put on the cancellation list again. 5 weeks later and still nothing. so started checking the listings near midnight as thats when they update the list with any cancelled slots and managed to get a appointment for 11 march myself.

They are supposed to get you an appointment within 4 weeks if you request to be put on the cancellation list or the test is free. They still charged me full price even though i had been waiting for months.

All you can do is ring and ask to be put on the list so they will txt you if a cancellation comes up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not much help, but it's a given that the first few months of the year are always busier because there are more cars registered early in the year, you could have done the test months in advance.
    Not giving out or on a high-horse but there has to be some personal responsibility here.

You should try calling them and explaining the situation again and be flexible over the test centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

If pulled by the gards/checkpoint...show them (text message) the scheduled NCT appointment date. No fine, no points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    If pulled by the gards/checkpoint...show them (text message) the scheduled NCT appointment date. No fine, no points.

That'll have as much impact as showing them your Padre Pio figurine on the dash these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not giving out or on a high-horse but there has to be some personal responsibility here.

Expecting a date within a week, fair enough, but not getting one within 2 months is well outside of personal responsibility.

My wife applied the start of January, still no date. And she's been put on the priority list twice. Why would you be removed the first time if you didn't get an appointment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 PaulaSmith

Thanks Guys maybe I'll try at midnight.

Not much help, but it's a given that the first few months of the year are always busier because there are more cars registered early in the year, you could have done the test months in advance.

You should try calling them and explaining the situation again and be flexible over the test centre

I did call them 2 months before it was up & earliest appointment was late April which is ridiculous. I have been very flexible with the centre (Dublin centre's) but a drive to Cavan/Monaghan & Drogheda is a little ridiculous from something that is legal requirement.

When are we expected to book said test as soon as we pass:) ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wow, that's pretty bad to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

goz83 wrote: »
    That'll have as much impact as showing them your Padre Pio figurine on the dash these days

:confused: I have personally done this a couple of times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Lots of these threads coming up all the time but I have never had an issue getting a time that suits within a month . you just need to be flexible on the test centre . I know thats a lot easier in Dublin where we have much less distance to travel .
    I wonder how many of these people that cant get tests are looking for peak time tests ie 5 -8 pm etc .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

As have I, which is why I said "these days". Showing proof of a test used to work. Maybe it still does on occasion, but with people abusing it and pushing test dates out continiously, the patience has worn very thin. It only takes a Gard in a bad mood to put you in hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

When was the ladt time you did though? Mates mother had her '10 Octavia impounded last year and the full five points put on her licence despite everything. 10 years on the road, no claims, no convictions, nothing. All out the window :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

OP- 11:30 each night is when their computer opens unused appointments. Log in then and you should get one soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

OH rang last week, NCT due in April. 6th of March( morning after) or 8 June. We're on a cancellation waiting list now having explained the expiry date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

We got one no problem in cork. No appointments within the month. When we rang though they promised us a date within month, which they delivered on.
    It's free of not within a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You do have to remind them about the test being free if no date within a month, it seems they regularly forget that clause.

And magically when you do remind them a date within the month often appears.

TBH I would just take the advice given and log on after 11.30pm as they load in cancellations at night and you can often get appointments within days, last time I booked at midnight for an appointment 10 hours later.

Just checked now, there are a dozen appointments available across the Dublin branches before the end of March up on the site now that weren't there 5 minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here we go again. Follow these steps for the very few people out there who have never been able to get their NCT appointment on time before:

Type in "ncts.ie" into your browser a long time (say 4-5 months) before your test is up. Follow the steps (it really is very easy) and book yourself in. In the very unlikely event you booked yourself in after the date your nct expired, you have several months left to check in once in a while to see if you can bring your appointment forward.

Print out your proof of appointment and keep it in you car in case a Garda stops you. You will probably be fine showing the Garda that your car is soon to be tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Has to be one of the most dickish posts in a while, and that's a pretty impressive accolade for here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I think tha difficulty getting appointments has gone a bit far at this stage. I have no trouble myself as I do go on months early and book and then check for cancellations but honestly you shouldn't have to.

For something that you are legally obliged to do I personally think you shouldn't have to book months in advance or be up at midnight hitting refresh on your browser or pestering the test centre or driving to far away test centres. The system is hopelessly overloaded.

I failed a test last week. Got the work done the next day and rang for a retest. The only date they can give me is two days before the 30 day period is up. That will be frustrating If the retest fails. It shouldn't be this hard when you are forced to do it. I can see why it gets on peoples tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

talking to a mate who applied to nct for a job has got the late shift 8pm till 4am:eek: so it looks like the long list may get shorter now:D

dam he is not working on those 2 days i am in :mad::D

Booked nct two weeks ago, passed this morning in Fonthill. The half eleven thing is well handy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

it was due in feb, I applied in november

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

mine was out the end of feb,went to website mid feb,closest appointment i could get was may 1st..it would be a bit harsh for them to dish out a fine if you had a message or email as proof.

Advertisement