Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have two large tin money boxes full of coins

Options
  • 13-03-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Not sure if this is the best forum to ask for advice but I would like to cash in my two large tin piggybanks for money and was wondering the best way I should do this?

It seems a waste to have them lying around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

petertgtt wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best forum to ask for advice but I would like to cash in my two large tin piggybanks for money and was wondering the best way I should do this?

If you want to lodge them, you would need to bag them in correct denominations & have in coinbags.

You could use them machines in shops that you just throw the coins into, but they charge 10%+ commission.

I generally just use my stash in stages in the self service tills in Tesco & the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 petertgtt

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    If you want to lodge them, you would need to bag them in correct denominations & have in coinbags.

You could use them machines in shops that you just throw the coins into, but they charge 10%+ commission.

I generally just use my stash in stages in the self service tills in Tesco & the likes.

correct denominations meaning all the same types of coins in one bag right? Any idea where id get coin bags? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

correct denominations meaning all the same types of coins in one bag right? Any idea where id get coin bags? thanks
    Any bank branch should have them.

Most banks would be able to give you them.

needs to be

€1 in 1c coins
    €2 in 2c coins
    €5 in 5c coins
    €10 in 20c or 10c coins -- not mixed, all one type
    €25 in €1 or 50c coins-- not mixed, all one type
    €50 in €2 coins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

As has been mentioned coin bags from bank with correct amount in them. I assume they are smaller coins 1c 2c 5c etc. If you have bigger coins €1 €2 I normally go around my local shops and ask them do they want the change? ie I give them a bag of €1 coins and they give me €25 in notes. I am well known in my local shops so this works well.

• Advertisement

Most banks would be able to give you them.

needs to be

€1 in 1c coins
    €2 in 2c coins
    €5 in 5c coins
    €10 in 20c or 10c coins -- not mixed, all one type
    €25 in €1 or 50c coins-- not mixed, all one type
    €50 in €2 coins

That is excellent, thank you very much for your help

That is excellent, thank you very much for your help

Just happen to have one in front of me :D

I find there is no charge to do a straight lodgment with a load of coins.

have done a couple of €100ish ones in the past.

Just happen to have one in front of me :D

I find there is no charge to do a straight lodgment with a load of coins.

have done a couple of €100ish ones in the past.

Fascinated to see what my treasure trove holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

I usually go to the Post Hoffice with my coinage and swap them over,
    last time though the PO said they wouldn't take coppers, so no 1c, 2c, or 5c coins could be changed.
    everything else was changed free of charge with the PO.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

My local takes in bagged coins. The bank charges them for change, so they are happy to accept them. Also, they like the good possibility that you will leave the notes behind the bar when you go in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

My local takes in bagged coins. The bank charges them for change, so they are happy to accept them. Also, they like the good possibility that you will leave the notes behind the bar when you go in 

+1 Yeah bars and hotels are normally happy to take them to save paying a fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

lycan238 wrote: »
    As has been mentioned coin bags from bank with correct amount in them. I assume they are smaller coins 1c 2c 5c etc. If you have bigger coins €1 €2 I normally go around my local shops and ask them do they want the change? ie I give them a bag of €1 coins and they give me €25 in notes. I am well known in my local shops so this works well.

Why would you bother cashing in €1 and €2 coins??? I just use them as I need them in shops ............ "that'll be €10 please" ....... "there you go, 5 €2 coins" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Let us know how much was in the tins, ill guess 100 euro

You could do the whole separating the coins, counting them out then bagging them up to go down to the bank but I personally find this boring and tedious to the extreme .......... just empty the tins into your nearest Coinstar machine and collect your cash at the till ......... I know you lose 10-12% but it's so worth avoiding the alternative hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

Did this recently, bagged up everything bar the coppers, came to €340. Brought the coppers to one of those machines in SuperValu that takes 10/15% as couldn't be bothered counting them all. Think I had about €60 in coppers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The bank can be a bit of a pain when it comes to cashing coins. Depending on how busy the branch is of course. Shops on the other hand would be delighted to take them off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭greasepalm

why give yourself the hassle of counting and sorting?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Coin-counter-Coin-Sorter-Money-machine-BBB-EURO-NEW-/120556934937?pt=Kassen_Abrechnungen&hash=item1c11c0d719

one can get money bags in bank or post office,post office hates me

when i first sorted my mountain ended up with 800+ euro wow

greasepalm wrote: »
    why give yourself the hassle of counting and sorting?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Coin-counter-Coin-Sorter-Money-machine-BBB-EURO-NEW-/120556934937?pt=Kassen_Abrechnungen&hash=item1c11c0d719

one can get money bags in bank or post office,post office hates me

when i first sorted my mountain ended up with 800+ euro wow

Minus €129 for the coin counter .......... wow :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Shops, bars etc are only charged 3% for coins. So its not a massive expense. OP try your local church. They have massive coin sorters that the banks use. I know my local one has coin sorter that is the size of a photocopier

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I counted all the coins I had on my floor took over 8hours and came out with over €250.
    Put in bags and straight to bank they were happy to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i was lucky and got my previous model around £70 years ago and best thing i ever bought,have mine over 8 years ,thats a lot of coins counted in a short time.true you could go cheaper but amount and quality might not be there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

People should be encouraged to spend their coins.
    That 80euro of coins in jars on a shelf in your home costs more than 80 euro to manufacture and distribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My local bank, (BOI) will only accept the little bags of coppers on Tuesday mornings and I think all day Fridays.

I save coppers in little jars and bag them up by E1 in 1 cent, 2 in 2s etc; but the value is so small the banks don't want to be bothered with them. I believe they are trying to have the smaller coins discontinued.

Local shops are usually glad of the small change though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

katemarch wrote: »
    My local bank, (BOI) will only accept the little bags of coppers on Tuesday mornings and I think all day Fridays.

I save coppers in little jars and bag them up by E1 in 1 cent, 2 in 2s etc; but the value is so small the banks don't want to be bothered with them. I believe they are trying to have the smaller coins discontinued.

Local shops are usually glad of the small change though.

Coins are not profitable or barely profitable. Its too much work for the bank to constantly count and balance the coin safe everyday for so little margin. So BOI have limited the amount of coins they sell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

As others have said try a shop. I have a shop in Dublin and spend way too much on getting change and AIB have changed it so my local branch don't give change any more so means it takes even longer to get it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I went into Ulster Bank on O'Connell St last Saturday week to look for coin bags as I have a massive tin full of shrapnel (stag weekend fund) that I want to count out and lodge into my account which is with UB too.

Yer man behind the counter looked at me like I had 10 heads when I asked for coin bags and he gave me 5 or 6 only.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Apparently if you plug the phoneline out of the coinstar machines, they won't charge commission.

Don't know how true it is, haven't tried it myself, but something to ponder...

Also self-checkout machines at supermarkets are great for getting rid of change. Gotta pay anyways, might as well throw all your change in and generally you won't be holding anyone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    Also self-checkout machines at supermarkets are great for getting rid of change. Gotta pay anyways, might as well throw all your change in and generally you won't be holding anyone up.

Have done this myself but be careful, the ones in Tesco can only take a certain amount of coinage before they start developing faults and error out. Has happened to me on more than one occasion :(

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

How I done it before was by weight. I sorted them all by the values, 1,2,5,10,20,50 etc in heaps. Then all I did was count out one of each full money bag value and weighed it on a digital kitchen scales including the bag (You can get them for about €15 euro). Once done just fill the money bags to the correct weight and its done. Its surprisingly fast and seemed to work, bank didnt say anything to me about the values being off anyway and you're not giving them sorting machines in Tesco etc 10%. You could have 200-250 euro in them tins, I had less than you and it finished up about 250 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

How big are these tins? Post a picture and let people guess the amount

Advertisement