Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect two buildings to same network?

Options
  • 13-03-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

Could anyone recommend a suitable method of joining two networks together, the networks are separated by a road (2 lanes). They are currently joined with a wifi network but the throughput and reliability is unreliable.

I have looked into connecting these buildings with a Cat 6 cable which would be attached to both buildings and hung above the ESB power lines but this would not work due to safety risk if the wire fell onto the power line and due to interference in the cable.

The other option i can think of is to set up a point to point wifi network, from searching around i think two of the ubiquiti nanobeam would be most suited but i would like another opinion on this before i spend the money.
    Is this overkill for the distance which needs to be covered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 technoboi

There is a water drain behind my neighbors house and then comes out behind the other building. But this is a very long route.
    The current setup is as you have said, one access point and the other is just picking it up and repeating.
    The main access point is behind a slate roof and the other is directly across in a room. They are as close as i can get to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Commercial or domestic? If both buildings have a decent internet connection and you have the budget you could look at a VLAN E-Line solution.

Probably overkill and over budget for two adjacent sites though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TBH for most applications if you can get two nanostations and have them high enough that trucks wont pass through the beam it should be plenty. Fibre is obviously top dog but its likely to be overkill.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for all the help.
    The second office doesn't have any servers just computers. The main office is the one with a internet connection and the second just piggy backs onto it so i can use file sharing and printers etc.

I have a spare roll of Cat 6 outdoor cable would this be ok instead of the fibre, the distance which needs to be covered isn't anywhere near the 1000m of cat 6.
    For the NanoStations what version and dBi would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

technoboi wrote: »
    I have a spare roll of Cat 6 outdoor cable would this be ok instead of the fibre, the distance which needs to be covered isn't anywhere near the 1000m of cat 6.

100meters. Not a good idea to connect two buildings via anything but fibre or wireless.

Cuddlesworth: Why would the Ethernet cable not work? also i walked the distance and it is just under 100 meters.
    Sugerman: The access points I currently have has the antenna build in so I would need to buy another AP. So i might be better off getting the nanoStations.

I have found some yellow pipe the ESB use to route their cables through so if the fibre option isn't too expensive i will use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

sugarman wrote: »
    A cheap set of Omni-directional antennas should do the trick, we had them set up on campus from the main building to the student union at a distance of about 300m with very little losses.

Omni-directional antennas ? for a point-to-point link ?

the hint is in the name ...... omni

don't do this

• Advertisement

Cuddlesworth: Why would the Ethernet cable not work? also i walked the distance and it is just under 100 meters.

lots of reasons

it's much safer to run fibre ( if lightning hits one building etc )

The access points I currently have has the antenna build in so I would need to buy another AP. So i might be better off getting the nanoStations.

get a pair of nanostations/engenius or whatever you fancy

- you will need them for backup anyway
    ( if you just want to change something on the fibre/cat6 link you can switch over )

it's a bit like building a road
    - once everyone starts to use it - they will whine ( and rightly so! ) like there is no tomorrow when it breaks

I have found some yellow pipe the ESB use to route their cables through so if the fibre option isn't too expensive i will use that.

just don't run mains cable in the same pipe and ask yourself "why is this so cheap/free "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sugerman: The access points I currently have has the antenna build in so I would need to buy another AP. So i might be better off getting the nanoStations.

You're creating a electrical connection between two properties, on two different earths and possibly on a different phase.

You should be able to pick up a multimode cable terminated with SC connections and two multimode to ethernet converters.

Just don't bend the fibre cable at extreme angles.

Ok, so the fibre is definitely the best option but from looking at all of the equipment I would need I think it is out of my budget.
    Would the nanostation m5 be ok or is there a faster version i can get as these are only 150+ Mbps.
    Also the yellow tube isn't belong to the ESB i was just using that as a reference they belong to a friend.

What do ye thing about the NanoBeam AC?

Stop - this thread will go on for weeks otherwise.

A) How much speed do you need now ?

B) How much do you think you need in the future ?

C) Your budget - how much is it for this ?

D) Can you get this duct installed ?

E) What are you using at the moment and why is it unreliable ?
    Hi,
    They are currently joined with a wifi network but the throughput and reliability is unreliable.

What do ye thing about the NanoBeam AC?

Should work if you have line-of-sight
    (provided nothing around interferes with it)

You will need surge supression & make sure data is backed up off-site

if there is lightning nearby it could induce serious power in the cable coming in and vapourise stuff

see it tracking along the wall here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi6kIpqmuak&feature=player_detailpage#t=311

A) How much speed do you need now ?
    The major use of speed at the moment is File sharing from a NAS. With current wifi speeds i get 0.5 - 1mb/s, i would like this to be closer to the speed i get when connected to the Lan which is ~13mb/s.
    I have tested Voip with the current system but is very laggy and packets are lost, these are the main reasons for upgrading the connection.

B) How much do you think you need in the future ?
    I don't see it changing much.

C) Your budget - how much is it for this ?
    I would like to have this finished for under €200

D) Can you get this duct installed ?
    There will be no problem installing the yellow tube in the drain pipe. The distance between both buildings this way will be around 100meters. However if i use a PTP system the distance which needs to be covered is about 30 meters.

E) What are you using at the moment and why is it unreliable ?
    I currently have two Cisco Meraki Mr16's installed, throughput is normally 12 mbps between them (reported from a speed test on the AP)and they are as close as can be.
    The ping varies a lot on a good day it can be ~5ms but some times can go upto 1000's of ms

Yuloni: The nanobeam do look good, I had a look around and this site has the best price www (DOT) irishwireless (DOT) net/nbe-5ac-19

Gctest50: For the surge protection is this for the Ethernet cable or the NanoBeam?

For the surge protection is this for the Ethernet cable or the NanoBeam?

For either : Ubiquity do little surge protectors - might help a little bit

good idea to back stuff up off-site anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement