Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water in oil tank

• 13-03-2015 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

The oil tank is normally about one meter above ground, held by bricks.
    A few days ago I noticed that the front bricks collapsed and the top was open (maybe got opened when the tank fell), so there is a bit of water inside the tank.

I became aware of this when the boiler stopped working.

One plumber told me that I have to empty the oil tank (it has at least 300 euro worth of oil inside) and then totally clean it before I do anything else.

Colleagues suggested that I let the oil run a bit from the tank and since water is heavier, after a few litters all I will have is oil, since the water will come out first and then after letting the contaminated oil out of the boiler, it's business as usual.

The boiler is Grant/Vortex

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

If the tank is lower at the front at the moment, then the water can be removed through the outlet. Make sure to clean out everything all the way to the burner nozzle.
    Fix up your tank. Check for any remaining water. Bleed the system and hope your pump is still ok.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭johnjoe 123

balaftuna wrote: »
    Hi

The oil tank is normally about one meter above ground, held by bricks.
    A few days ago I noticed that the front bricks collapsed and the top was open (maybe got opened when the tank fell), so there is a bit of water inside the tank.

I became aware of this when the boiler stopped working.

One plumber told me that I have to empty the oil tank (it has at least 300 euro worth of oil inside) and then totally clean it before I do anything else.

Colleagues suggested that I let the oil run a bit from the tank and since water is heavier, after a few litters all I will have is oil, since the water will come out first and then after letting the contaminated oil out of the boiler, it's business as usual.

The boiler is Grant/Vortex

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

You need 2 clean clear 5gallon drums. Tape your garden hose to a broom shaft. Place shaft with hose attaché into tank ensuring end of hose is on the floor of tank. Ensure other end of hose is below floor of tank and suck hard until liquid (dirt & water) come. Once it comes place hose into your drum ensuring end of hose u sucked stays below floor of tank(gravity will do the work) once u notice nice red wine coloured liquid appearing on top of your drums that's your kerosene and your tank is cleaned. I've done this número use times and it works great. Bit hatful sucking but cheap & effective. U may also need to screw off filter and clean. And another good job is to blow out oil line with a small compressor. If you do all that you have a system as good as new. Hopfully your oil pumps not damaged 9/10 it's usually fine. Don't run your burned again until this is done. ðŸ‘

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Do not suck oil through a hose with your mouth EVER!

Advertisement