Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1:9 for 22lr Subsonics

Options
  • 13-03-2015 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used a 1:9 barrel for 22lr? Are they worth the investment?

I came across a barrel for my 10/22 the other day which was button rifled with a 1:9 twist. The manufacturer claimed that this twist was best for subsonic ammo.

I would like to know if anyone else shooting has tried this twist rate and can advise if the rate is indeed best for subs.

Also, is this twist particular about the bullet mass? Will 40gr bullets stabilize nicely or will the 1:9 demand more mass, like a 60gr?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

FISMA wrote: »
    Has anyone used a 1:9 barrel for 22lr? Are they worth the investment?

I came across a barrel for my 10/22 the other day which was button rifled with a 1:9 twist. The manufacturer claimed that this twist was best for subsonic ammo.

I would like to know if anyone else shooting has tried this twist rate and can advise if the rate is indeed best for subs.

Also, is this twist particular about the bullet mass? Will 40gr bullets stabilize nicely or will the 1:9 demand more mass, like a 60gr?

As far as I remember those 1 in 9 barrels are for the heavier 60gr type rounds. I honestly don't know if they would provide any advantage for the lighter rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

bravestar wrote: »
    As far as I remember those 1 in 9 barrels are for the heavier 60gr type rounds.
    +1 - I am reading a lot of similar feedback online.

Was more interested in the application for subsonic ammo.

The claim stated that the slower stabilized best in the 1:9. Since I now shoot mostly the 40gr CCI subs out of the 22lr, would like to see if it is a true claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

1:9 will not suit 40gr ammo sub or standard, it is made for 60gr ammo, the average 22 twist is around 1:16 which works pretty well in out climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

Wadi14 wrote: »
    1:9 will not suit 40gr ammo sub or standard, it is made for 60gr ammo, the average 22 twist is around 1:16 which works pretty well in out climate.

Not correct, the 9 twist wasnt made for 60 grain ammo in a 22lr...the reason we see the 9 twist being used is that was all that was sitting on the shelf when Dan Lilja was asked to supply barrels to suit the 60 grain ammo by rem/aguilla...running the numbers in a twist calculator will show you that..if a barrel were produced specifically for 60 grain ammo it would have a slower than 9 twist..

lakesider wrote: »
    Not correct, the 9 twist wasnt made for 60 grain ammo in a 22lr...the reason we see the 9 twist being used is that was all that was sitting on the shelf when Dan Lilja was asked to supply barrels to suit the 60 grain ammo by rem/aguilla...running the numbers in a twist calculator will show you that..if a barrel were produced specifically for 60 grain ammo it would have a slower than 9 twist..

I stand corrected, so are ur saying 1:9 is grand buy it and fire away with the 40gr ammo

• Advertisement

I stand corrected, so are ur saying 1:9 is grand buy it and fire away with the 40gr ammo

You must be able to see things in my post that I didnt write:pac:..what I said is that everyone is spouting that the 9 twist is designed for 60 grain ammo in a 22lr when it wasnt!!..its a make do job!..if barrel were set up for 60 grain ammo it would be around 11 or 12 ...slowest twist to stabilise and all that..

As for 40 grain even the 16 twist is overkill..benchrest shooters use 17 and 18..<SNIP>

lakesider wrote: »

so Dan Lilja had a load of 1:9 twist sitting on his shelf , for some reason dust gathering purposes was it ? and was asked by Rem/Aguilla to supply barrels for them for 60gr bullets, so being one of the most accomplished barrel makers in the world and with his reputation to think of he said , feck them sure I have a load of the 1:9 crap sitting here I'll use that, lol ahhhh its all clear now

so Dan Lilja had a load of 1:9 twist sitting on his shelf , for some reason dust gathering purposes was it ? and was asked by Rem/Aguilla to supply barrels for them for 60gr bullets, so being one of the most accomplished barrel makers in the world and with his reputation to think of he said , feck them sure I have a load of the 1:9 crap sitting here I'll use that, lol ahhhh its all clear now

Now your gettin it, a barrel designed for those would use a 11.25 twist..if you dont believe it then run the numbers <SNIP>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Rule #1 people.

If you cannot be civil, you will loose the ability to post.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Hi FISMA,
    If you tried that barrel and didn't like it then I would be willing to make you an offer on your cast offs..

Ive been interested in trying a 1:9 or faster for a while. Hard to pick up second hand units here!

Ps sent you a pm too (same message but not sure if ye got it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Hi FISMA,
    If you tried that barrel and didn't like it...
    In what could be a first, I actually did not buy. I was hoping to get a bit of feedback beforehand. If I do get one, I'll give you the heads up on it.

Have a few bits that are waiting to be tested. May get the third barrel and throw that in to the batch as well. However, I hesitate to buy an unknown brand and twist when the price is just a bit less than a Kidd. I would really like to try out a Whistlepig as well, but why take a chance on a barrel the is more expensive than a Kidd?

Advertisement