Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pond plants

• 14-03-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Do any garden centres in south Dublin stock pond plants? There seems to be no mention of them on any of their websites but pond owners must be sourcing their plants somewhere.

I'm looking to set up a small container pond so just need a couple of bits and pieces: oxygenator, maybe a dwarf water lily for the surface and then something with a bit of height.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was on to pond hobby (north dublin) who i believe are a supplier to many garden centres, and they warned me that it would be the end of the month before stock levels would really start to increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭xper

Thanks for the responses. However, I am looking specifically for plant sellers near me. If its just the case that it is too early in the year, I suppose I'll have to hold off for a while. But if anyone spots something on their travels, please chip in.

On my own travels ... I dropped in to Windyridge Nurseries on Rochestown Ave today and they confirmed that their water plant display, currently empty, would be stocked in April.
    (Incidentally, they're also in the middle of building a large new greenhouse and new pathways. Business must be good)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭greasepalm

is that house getting moved to get bigger access?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

If you want some surface cover, get some water cress established and then just drop it in, it should grow ok, failing that buy a bag of fresh water cress in your local supermarket and throw that in (M&S do bags of just water cress)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

xper wrote: »
    ... I'm looking to set up a small container pond so just need a couple of bits and pieces: oxygenator, maybe a dwarf water lily for the surface and then something with a bit of height.
    Until the pond plants are available, homer911's suggestion about water cress is good. It grows very easily, and helps keep the water clear by restricting some light and also the roots absorb excess nutrients from the water.

Pets shops that stock fish would have oxygenator plants like Elodea all the year around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i really like that idea. ponds as a veg patch - would there be any issue harvesting it for consumption?

Will try the watercress idea, thanks.
    greasepalm wrote: »
    is that house getting moved to get bigger access?
    Nope! The work is all in the display area itself. Also noticed that the open fields on either side of the site have been cleared, presumably for housing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement