Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie at festival with children,ADVICE PLS

Options
  • 14-03-2015 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,
    I have just booked a family ticket to Body and soul in June; it’s just myself and 2 children who are 7 and 5. I am very excited about it as it is our first weekend long festival, and I would like to expose the children to a variety of music and some cool life experience that they will remember fondly.
    So to create these fond memories I need some Advice!!!

I have never been to a festival myself, never mind with children, forums I have read is to bring Baby wipes!! So they are on my list. What else should I bring?? And what should I expect? I know some people, parents and childless people alike have their reservations about bringing children to festivals, That children should not be bought to a festival, well I have to have a go before I decide to have that opinion, As far as I have researched the festival caters for children and families very well.
    So anyone that have bought children to a festival what was your experience??
    And camping gear? What would you recommend? I was hoping to get a fairly decent one, with room to more around in, what price range would it need to fall into? I am a total newbie and wet behind the ears with this so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

hey there.

I've been to body and soul for the last 3 years with my wife and son (just turned 4), and we're heading back this year with baba no. 2 as well. Extra fun :)

Clearly, we enjoy the experience as it's a fixture in our calendar at this stage.... So I'm definitely in favour of your "if I don't go I won't know" attitude. If you show up and it's not being fun, just head home and bring them to Tayto Park next time. If your experience is closer to ours, there will be moments where you'll wonder how you ever thought this was a good idea, but for each one of those there'll be literally a hundred little memories to look back on of smiles, laughter and good times.

It'll be easier if you've been to similar festivals before and know roughly what to expect (i.e. lots of wasted, friendly people - lots of noise - if you're unlucky, rain and a constant sense of dampness).

If you've not been to something like BnS before yourself, then going en famille is quite brave unless you've a bunch of mates along for the ride- but again "if you don't go you won't know"

Advice notes: ear defenders for the kids, lots of their favourite treats, be careful not to get them overtired as cranky kids at a festival when you're a 20 minute walk from your tent is no fun - stay out of really crowded tents/spaces...

But the main thing really is just to focus on having lots of fun (with a small dose of sensible paranoid parent as well)

We'll be the ones in a huge green tent, red wheely wagon outside and 2 young boys (probably a pink football too...)

See you there :)

Advertisement