Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie at festival with children,ADVICE PLS

Options
  • 14-03-2015 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,
    I have just booked a family ticket to Body and soul in June; it’s just myself and 2 children who are 7 and 5. I am very excited about it as it is our first weekend long festival, and I would like to expose the children to a variety of music and some cool life experience that they will remember fondly.
    So to create these fond memories I need some Advice!!!

I have never been to a festival myself, never mind with children, forums I have read is to bring Baby wipes!! So they are on my list. What else should I bring?? And what should I expect? I know some people, parents and childless people alike have their reservations about bringing children to festivals, That children should not be bought to a festival, well I have to have a go before I decide to have that opinion, As far as I have researched the festival caters for children and families very well.
    So anyone that have bought children to a festival what was your experience??
    And camping gear? What would you recommend? I was hoping to get a fairly decent one, with room to more around in, what price range would it need to fall into? I am a total newbie and wet behind the ears with this so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Having been to many a festival, I would suggest (kindly!) that you have your kids out of the arena and in a tent tucked up well before 9pm. People mad out of it on E and pi$$ed drunk are not something you want your kids seeing. I've only been to body & soul once, and during the daytime it's really nice but it gets a bit manic at night. Personally I wouldn't bring kids to a festival, except maybe to the daytime part, and leave by 7/8pm, but each to their own.

As for what to bring, a REALLY good tent, (check the HH rating, it measures waterproofness, the higher the rating the better) good camping/sleeping gear and wet gear/wellies is a must. 18yr olds can rough it, but you want your kids comfortable. Price wise, I got a great 4man tent with a seating area for about €200 a couple of years ago. Inflatable camp beds, good sleeping bags, earplugs, are all essential. Bear in mind you have to carry all your gear from the car park to the site yourself - could be a very long walk, possibly half an hour/40 mins. You can shower in B&S, but the queues form early - you'll prob be up early with the kids though so you'll be ok. Alcohol hand gel and parazone wipes for the loo are a must, there's nowhere to wash your hands and the portaloos are vile by day three.

I find the best way to do a festival at the grand aul age of 40 is to stay in a B&B nearby - all the comforts of home at the end of the day. You might want to consider it, festivals are rough for grown ups! I've seen kids dragged around festival sites at night looking cold, tired and scared. While I'm all for exposing kids to a variety of experiences, festivals are just too full of gob****es that are all about getting as fcked up as possible (alongside the music lovers and those there for the right reasons) That being said, sometimes it can work out, and I hope it does for you. B&S is a lot smaller than say, electric picnic, and there's a nicer vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Plus one to the above advice. I was at Body and Soul last year and saw lots of miserable kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Miserable in that they were crying and uncomfortable, not miserable bc they are kids, just to clarify!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

A weekend long festival with a 5 and 7 year old? That's just a recipe for disaster. Personally I think that is madness. You haven't even been to a festival yourself so you're in for a shocker when you go. I think if you'd been to one yourself, you certainly wouldn't be bringing the kids for the full weekend. I think the idea of staying in a B&B is a far better idea than camping there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I would advise you to leave the kids with someone and go to B&S yourselves. That way you can decide whether or not you'd like to bring your kids to the next festival, and if you think you would like to, you'll be able to take note of the sort of things you'll need.

I would also be inclined to go camping at a normal family friendly campsite with the kids before attempting a festival. That way you'll get an idea of how to set up the tent etc, and see if the kids like it or not. Also, think about what would happen if there was some sort of disaster in the middle of the night ... If one of the kids woke up vomiting, or hysterical from a nightmare, etc ... If you pick a normal campsite close to your home, you can always pack up and drive home any time, even leave the tent behind to collect the next day if necessary. Not really an option at a festival, with a long walk back to the car with all your stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I agree with tinkerbell and SS and would definitely recommend going to a festival yourself before bringing the kids.
    I've been to a few and Christ imo they are no place for kids. The amount of
    Drugs and alcohol and people walking around (during the DAY and NIGHT) completely off their faces is insane! Would you really want your kids to see this at such a young age? Also very easy for people to walk into your tent at night... Or bang or fall into it. The kids could get very frightened with all the noise If they are camping out. Because there is noise.... ALL night long... Even in the campsites. Just go yourself initially and then decide whether that's what you want to open your kids up to.

IMHO.... I'd never in a million years take my young children to a festival (esp not to camp over at one).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've never been to Body and Soul or any festival with kids, but as far as I know Body and Soul have specific areas catering to kids with entertainment etc, and a separate family campsite which would make things a lot better for nighttimes. I wouldn't even think about a 'normal' festival campsite but a family one might be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Id really only bring kids of that age to a festival if it was one that I had attended previously and was very familiar with and if the kids were well used to camping and spending a night in a tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Some nonsense on this thread!
    Festivals are great with kids , there will be a kids entertainment area and a family campsite.
    You can just get the loan of a tent from a friend but if not you can get a 4 man tent for around €80 , you wont be in it much.
    Well worth investing in the blow up double mattress for the tent!
    Toilets are important , family camp-site will have decent ones and source decent ones in main areas.
    Kids should have wristbands but if not then get one with your mobile number on it for them.
    Also show them where the meeting place is.
    Most important thing - have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've been to B&S with my mother and sister so we were camping in the family section. It was fine OP. We all enjoyed ourselves and the year I went, there was a kids zone. I'd have no problem bring a kid there again.

• Advertisement

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Some nonsense on this thread!
    Festivals are great with kids ,

Maybe I was just hanging with the wrong crowd so. Lol.... And in the wrong campsite for that matter..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Id say people are thinking Oxygen when hearing music festival.
    Body and Soul will be nice and chilled, im thinking of taking my own kids

• Registered Users Posts: 22 annie jay

Thanks for all your replies.

I did expect the “don’t bring the kids!” Well too late for that now, I have bought a family ticket and we are going guys!! I get it, what you are saying and I am taking it as good advice.

With body and soul they do have a separate camp site for kids and special wrist bands and access into the family campsite is strict enough I heard. Soul Kids is a unique children’s area that has been enthralling and exciting children and parents for over a decade. Soul Kids is dedicated to children and their families.
    After the success of last year’s dedicated Soul Kids tent in the Family Camping area. It’s happening again. It will be open early in the morning with lots of fantastic activities for children. There will be yoga, creative workshops and wonderful surprises. This tent will close in the middle of the day but reopen in the evening for hot water bottle filling and storytelling sessions.
    Soul Kids will also be taking over their usual spot in the Walled and Rose gardens offering another jam-packed programme with lots of spectacular acts, performances, entertainment and creative workshops for children and their families to enjoy. Soul Kids is a celebration of creativity, nature, and all things magical.

My concern now is getting there and setting up, as It's just me and just realising the task in hand before I can relax and have fun !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

annie jay wrote: »
    My concern now is getting there and setting up, as It's just me and just realising the task in hand before I can relax and have fun !!

Take a wheelbarrow. It's a lot easier to transport tents, sleeping bags etc if you can throw them all into a wheelbarrow.

Alcohol gel and listerine.

And toilet roll.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭pooch90

We always brought rolls of bin bags to festivals.
    They can be put on the ground to sit, ponchos, put wet gear in etc.

Practice putting the tent up a good few times at home. We didn't one year and it was lashing when we arrived so the instructions got disintegrated almost instantly.
    If the kids have never slept in a tent then you could camp out in the garden :)

Great advice about the wheelbarrow!

Don't forget suncream and after sun either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Personally after seeing kids at events like these, your better off only bringing them for the full weekend if they are interested in it. If you want to expose them to the wide range of acts, yiu should have considered a day ticket. Its likely yiur kids are going to feel forced into being there. They wont also have much to go off and do on their own at that age too. Keeping them from getting bored and frustrated over the weekend is going to be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    You can just get the loan of a tent from a friend but if not you can get a 4 man tent for around €80 , you wont be in it much.

Eh only for the whole night! OP you need as good a tent as possible. If it rains (which is likely in Ireland) a cheap one just won't do. Spend as much as possible on a tent as you can afford. Or borrow the best one possible from a friend.

Warm clothes!
    The cold can get into your bones, so if you or the children are cold people bring plenty of layers. I'd definitely be bringing a fleece jumper for the evening. And jackets of course. And even wooly hats.

If you don't need them then great but better be looking at them then for them!

I go camping once a year in May and I bring a jacket I use for skiing! Plus I bring thermal longjohns for under my jeans. I'm a cold person...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ronjo

Thanks for all your replies.

With body and soul they do have a separate camp site for kids and special wrist bands and access into the family campsite is strict enough I heard. Soul Kids is a unique children’s area that has been enthralling and exciting children and parents for over a decade. Soul Kids is dedicated to children and their families.
    After the success of last year’s dedicated Soul Kids tent in the Family Camping area. It’s happening again. It will be open early in the morning with lots of fantastic activities for children. There will be yoga, creative workshops and wonderful surprises. This tent will close in the middle of the day but reopen in the evening for hot water bottle filling and storytelling sessions.
    Soul Kids will also be taking over their usual spot in the Walled and Rose gardens offering another jam-packed programme with lots of spectacular acts, performances, entertainment and creative workshops for children and their families to enjoy. Soul Kids is a celebration of creativity, nature, and all things magical.

It sounds to me like you are promoting the place and not really looking for advice.

Apologies if not..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

ronjo wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you are promoting the place and not really looking for advice.

Apologies if not..
    I think she copied and pasted some info on the festival just to show how there is a section dedicated to kids as not everyone knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ronjo

Marz66 wrote: »
    I think she copied and pasted some info on the festival just to show how there is a section dedicated to kids as not everyone knew that.

Aha maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

I've been to Body and Soul 3 times, and also to the Electric Picnic 5 times -- 4 years with my son (from age 8 to 11).

Certainly there are kids at B&S but it wouldn't be my choice for families; it is a younger crowd than EP and therefore a bit more out of control. You will have to have them tucked up pretty early in the evening, and since you are on your own you will miss all the major music acts and the after-dark adult-appropriate devilment. I can't comment on the Soul Kids area at B&S since I didn't see it -- you cannot get entry without a child in tow. I do recall that some parents were complaining 1 or 2 years ago about the Family Camping being re-sited right next to general camping, making it less secure and much noisier. You might want to check out the Facebook page coming up to the date; there's bound to be discussion about it there.

EP is a different story. It's a much more mixed crowd, with lots of older people and families. Family camping is well away from everything else, very nice, clean, and uncrowded, in the prettiest part of the estate, past a lovely pond, with excellent facilities including food trucks and flush toilets. And very tight, 24-hour security. (If only the punters in General Camping knew what they're missing -- Family Camping is a paradise!) The children's Soul Kids area (again, accessible only if you have a child with you) is massive, well-organized, creative. My son, being that bit older, wasn't interested in the Soul Kids stuff -- he wanted to see bands, and there was a lot for him to look at and enjoy walking around the main areas during the day time. We did make great memories together! Now he's 13 -- too old to go as a child, so he'll have to wait til he's 18 and can go with his friends. (Though he says he'll want to go with me again, awww)

My main suggestion: If it's at all feasible, consider bringing them for 1 day and night only. The first year we went to EP we had our son with us for Friday to Sunday, and it was too much. In the next years we brought him for Friday night only, then brought him over to Granny's for the rest of the weekend while we returned to Stradbally. It's hard to keep a kid entertained for more than a day/night at a festival, after they've seen everything, and it's very tiring for them. Also, it may be frustrating for you to have to forgo all the main happenings at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

I witnessed two parents bringing their son in and out of the main area 4 or 5 times in an hour for the sole purpose of smuggling in cans! One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen at Body and Soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 annie jay

ronjo wrote: »

Apologies if not..

I am not promoting the place, just a snippet off their website with regards their children's area and what they offer.

I am not more aware from all the posts as what to expect, what to bring etc, I have considered not saying the whole weekend, if we get there and everything going well and kids seem to like it and are happy, well and good, we can stay for the whole weekend, but if not if they are bored or i feel like it's too much for them or me !!! I will just pack up and leave.

I should have posted before i bought the weekend tickets, but hey, so it is and will make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

One thing to consider (that I've only just thought of) would be to bring a 2nd adult with you if possible. For things like going to the loo - you physically cannot fit an adult and 2 kids into a portaloo, so if one of the kids needs the loo the other will have to stand outside, if you need the loo they'll both have to stand outside, or its a trek back to the campsite. At night time, if you need the loo your tent could be a long way from the toilet block, would you be happy to leave your kids asleep on their own while you go? Same goes for using the showers, and putting up the tent. There's a lot of people and queues at a festival, a second adult would make life a lot easier. FWIW, what the website's blurb says about a festival and what actually goes on are two different things. Get onto Bodyand Soul's facebook page and/or forum and ask advice, be prepared to pack up and go home if needs be and if you can, get in at least one night away camping between now and then to practice and get your kids prepared. Drum into them the importance of staying close by and what to do/where to go if they get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I am not promoting the place, just a snippet off their website with regards their children's area and what they offer.

I am not more aware from all the posts as what to expect, what to bring etc, I have considered not saying the whole weekend, if we get there and everything going well and kids seem to like it and are happy, well and good, we can stay for the whole weekend, but if not if they are bored or i feel like it's too much for them or me !!! I will just pack up and leave.

I should have posted before i bought the weekend tickets, but hey, so it is and will make the most of it.
    I think a few people are being over cautious here, but at the same time, the advice given about ear defenders, packing for all eventualities, and having an exit plan should the need arise, is all good
    I'd advise to just arrive nice and early on the Saturday and take it from there.
    Getting in on the Friday can be a bit of a nightmare traffic wise, and there's not a huge lot on on the Friday night.
    It should be a lot calmer arriving good and early on Saturday, then you've the whole day to explore the site - it can be a bit difficult underfoot in the darkness in the forest, so best to spend the day in the arena and back to the tent as darkness falls.

Don't tire yerselves out checking out everywhere at once - there's plenty of places to sit and chill and watch the (crazy) world pass by :)

When ye wake up on the Sunday, I reckon it will be a group decision to stay or go home, and a factor in that might be the weather - just play it by ear..
    B&S is great, and you'll have some magic moments, so fair play to you for taking it on solo with the kids.

I'm sure there's some other parents from Boards heading along with their kids, who might like to meet up for an hour or two for the craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I can't comment on bringing kids to a festival as we have never done it but we do camp fairly frequently. My advice is to invest in those army style cots, the ones with the metal frame & canvas stretched across them. We find the air in the air mattresses gets really cold so these really help for a comfortable nights sleep as you are up off the ground.

With regard to the tent, buy or borrow the best you can afford, practice putting it up lots of times & get the smallies used to sleeping in it in the garden. Also buy a good quality waterproofing product & re-waterproof before you go.

Lots of bin bags, wipes, hand rub, loo roll and socks - you can never have enough socks when camping. You really need to pack for all weather as being stuck in a tent in the rain is no fun at all - in fact last time we decamped to a hotel & picked up the tent the next day, but we'd be fickle like that.

I think it might be difficult on your own with 2 small kids & having to lug everything to the site & pitch the tent with little to occupy them while you are doing it all. Also bathroom might be an issue with portaloos & what if you need to bring one to the bathroom at night & the other is fast asleep?

Definitely recruit another adult if you can Op and of course enjoy every second

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Soul Kids is a unique children’s area that has been enthralling and exciting children and parents for over a decade. Soul Kids is dedicated to children and their families.

Bring hot water bottles!

OP, you have a big job in hand with a lot of stuff you have to bring. I'd definitely suggest a wheelbarrow for bringing stuff from your car to the campsite.

Is your ticket for 2 adults and 2 children. Can you bring a friend with you? You have a lot of stuff going on for just yourself...

Please please don't forget thermal underclothes, fleeces, warm jackets and woolly hats!
    I sleep with a woolly hat on when I camp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

I've been to EP 3 times and B&S twice, had my niece with me at EP twice when she was 8 and 9. My advice would be that it is great craic and the kids will absolutely love it but it is tiring for a number of reasons:

carrying everything into the site - from carpark to camp site could easily be a 30 minutes walk (30 minute adult walk, multiply by 2.5 for kid speed ;) ). If you manage to bring everything in one trip congratulate yourself as this is damn near impossible to do. We've used keg trolleys to get our stuff in but still nearly always realise when we're setting things up that we've left something in the van. We always had more than one adult so whilst it was a chore to go back out to the carpark we at least didn't have to bring the child with us.

The place is HUGE - the maps really dont do the arena's justice, they're massive so just walking in from the campsite and strolling around the arena you cover alot of ground, again not so good for little legs.

sleep - this really depends on the person. I'm a light sleeper so typically I manage with 3-4 hour 'naps' over the course of a festival weekend, a good nights sleep is very rare which obviously impacts on your next day activities.

What I would advise to pack with you:
    layered clothing - pack for November as depending on night-time temps you may need hats, scarfs, gloves the lot. (sleeping with your woolly hat on is an excellent idea- we lose most of our heat through our heads so a cold night camping can easily be rectified just by covering your head)
    wellies and waterproofs
    twice as many socks as you think you need.
    baby wipes
    toilet roll
    antiseptic handwash gel
    snacks - crackers, fruit, cereal bars - anything which can be served as is. Really handy to have something to just grab as there can be massive queues at the food stalls (Along with massive prices) so you dont want to have to queue up everytime some one is 'peckish'.
    blow-up mattress
    sleeping bags or duvet
    camping chairs
    roll of black sacks (these become rubbish bags, blankets, poncho's, etc)
    tent with two rooms. one for all your stuff, one for sleeping. its alot easier if you're not trying to move everything to get into bed or like wise pull everything out each time you need to change your clothes.
    a torch each
    bottles of drinking water (not sure if there are refill places available on site)

That's the main stuff I can think of, I would have no hesitation sending you off to B&S outside of these two things:

you haven't camped before - I'm a camper so I know there's things I take for granted that people who haven't camped before would never think of. I most definitely advise you to get out in the tent for at least 2 different nights before the festival. I would advice that you do this away from your own backgarden as when you're close to home you can just nip in for stuff and therefore don't really have to think about what you need to pack. This will be the best way for you to learn what you need to bring and also to help build your confidence so you're not worried about things before the festival. What you are suggesting is completely doable but a little organising will go a long way. Also, just to say all of my family enjoy camping too but I know my 'MUST-HAVE' list is different to theirs, what you need really comes down to 'what are you willing to do without'. The aim is to bring as little as possible but still be comfortable.

Getting into the site and getting set-up. Lugging all of your equipment and clothes into the campsite can be tough going. Some of the sites are 2 miles from the carpark and you are doing it with 2 kiddies tagging along. I have not stayed at the family campsite in B&S so I dont know how close you can park but definitely check it out and prepare yourself. Then after the long walk in you have to get your tent up and secure your belongings, again with 2 kids in tow. If it was me this is when I would chose to feed the kids - bring food with you for them. This will keep them somewhat occupied and sitting still while you are busy with the tent.

If you have a 2 adults, 2 kids ticket I would definitely recommend getting someone to come in with you and get you setup. Even without bringing kids that is the most stressful part of the weekend, trying to balance everything on the trolley, get through CROWDS of people and then get the tent up is hard-going. If you have an extra adult just for this it would be a huge help. Another suggestion if you dont have a ticket for another adult would be to get someone to come to Meath with you or follow you down with the kids. You go in alone with all the gear and get the tent and everything setup then you come back out to get the kids and stroll in empty handed with your tent waiting for you all - this is definitely the best approach and will help start the kids off on the right note for the weekend.

Best of luck, once you go with your eyes open and a willingness to follow the kids lead you and them will have a ball. I think most people who think kids should not be at festivals have unfortunately witnessed parents who brought their kids but still tried to have their own festival as in staying out late, drinking, drugs, etc. A festival with kids is a different kind of festival but still right craic :)

Edit: Just to add another packing trick is to use those space saver storage bags for your clothes and duvet/sleeping bag. You put the stuff in the bag and then use your hoover to take all the air out of the bag. It makes the bag more compact and easier to carry. I would warn though that this wont help you getting OUT of the festival but hopefully at that stage you'll be rid of foodstuffs and water so your load going out is generally smaller than what you brought in.

Also if using a wheelbarrow (excellent idea) pack it before you leave the house so know what will fit in it, dont want a nasty surprise in the carpark when you realise its full with the tent and sleeping bags alone. We use a decent backpack (60 litres) in conjunction with the trolley to get everything in in one trip.

Advertisement