Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New life in Mayo - information needed

Options
  • 14-03-2015 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

We've just pushed the button to buy a smallish house in Mayo near Mulranny - 1/2 acre plot with lots of room to grow veggies.

Ive lived in London for almost 20 years.
    Everything has changed. Dublin wasn't for us, so we chose rural setting.

Anybody help me with the following?

1. electricity providers - whose best
    2. broadband/phone - whose best
    3. rubbish removal - whose best
    4. septic tanks? what? how? where? haven't a clue

5. Will my kids have to leave us to find work when they grow up, or has anything changed economically for Mayo?

6. what to do about the dreaded rhubarb? Our garden has quite a large bit of it at the bottom, taking up 1/3 of the space. A local told us to pour diesel on it but that would probly ruin the land which I hope to use to grow stuff on. Its encroached onto the area where the septic tank is too. Ideas?

We hope to be living in our new home by June and when we arrive with the kids we
    wont have services turned on yet but thankfully it will be warmer by then. Need to sort out all this before we arrive and not after.

If you know England prices, can anyone comment on the variation between UK and Irish prices of goods including petrol, home heating oil, services etc?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Lovely area. Great beaches.

Mulranny was always a tourist centre. The opening of the Westport - Achill Greenway had brought more life to the area

All the best.

Re Septic Tank etc. I presume you are having or h ad a survey by an engineer.

Village is reasonably convenient to Westport and Castlebar, two of the likely employment centres

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

For your utilities take a look at bonkers.ie and oil pricing can be seen on cheapestoil.ie. Make sure you shop around.
    Mulranny is a really beautiful spot. The locals are nice, and it can be a very outdoors lifestyle if that's your thing.
    You're not far from westport or castlebar and they would be the two main areas for employment. Not everyone leaves! There are still thousands and thousands of people living in Mayo. Many of the local students attend GMIT in Catlebar for 3rd level, and there are decent public transport links to Galway and Dublin if their preferred course is further afield.
    I don't know anything useful on the rhubarb, but it's everywhere and it's hard to kill. There have been several projects in Achill to kill it off locally, and as far as I know, it thankfully didn't involve diesel and was co-ordinated by a local horticulturist, so I'd imagine there is better local advice out there.

Finally I wish you well with your move!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 reluctantly agree

thank you both so much for your info/advice and well wishing.

so looking forward to moving to Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MedusaV8

Well done and what a fab decision you have made‎. Myself and partner moved from near Guildford to Mayo in September last year. 

We feel blessed and I have also just got a job too which is something I was a little worried about. 

Your number priority is a PPS number if you don't already have one. You can apply from the UK online. Without the PPS you won't be able to close your sale (ie pay the stamp duty). There can sometimes be a delay in this so start immediately. 

You will also need a PPS to make applying for a bank account easier. We found it difficult finding a bank that would open an account from the UK in the end we finally had to open a EBS passbook account to get some money sent ahead do do some research on this. 

We used SmartCurrencyExchange. 

We are with SS Airtricity for for electric and one thing I will say electricity prices are high here. We are using 140 euro a month and that's only lighting and cooking (no heating). Uugh! We suspect that the septic tank pump is working overtime due to some issues with siting of the septic tank and ground water levels. 
    Factor in annual maintenance of the ‎tank. We have had to replace the pumping chamber pump which cost nearly 400 euros these should last several years but the compressor pump needs changing every year apparently. They are about a hundred euro. 

We have found p‎eople seem to have a mobile and not a landline preferring to use 3g for Internet. That may work in built up areas but we had to have a landline and Broadband. Vodafone have a reasonable deal which include uk calls. ‎

I don't know who does waste disposal in your area. We went into the Mayocc in Castlebar and they gave us a list. Expect to pay approx 300 if you recycle too. ‎There is no council tax here but property tax is calculated on value. We paid 218 euro property tax for the year. 
    ‎‎
    Do you know how old your tank is. You can get some detail of tanks from Protectourwater dot ie (can't post URL's)

Westport and Castlebar are definitely top employment areas. Check out Mayo Advertiser this week online. New jobs promised for Westport. 

I don't know anything about Rhubarb I'm afraid. You will be told some strange things about what to do with your plot. We were told to burn off our two acres with weed killer to kill the 3 years worth of brambles and overgrowth. 

You won't be able to arrange any utilities until you have a proof of address. We found out that. The solicitor organised our electricity which was already connected but if it hadn't been it would have been a different story. It took 6 weeks for a phoneline and broadband. Charges have been introduced for water and waste water but this is cheaper than you will have paid in the uk. If you are on a private water scheme then even cheaper still. 

Check out boiler juice for good deals on oil. Also think about tank security as theft of oil is big over here or so we have been told. 

Petrol and Diesel costs are generally cheaper than the UK but road tax is brutal. My 1.8 Golf is 636 euro and before my Defender was registered as commercial it would have been 1080 euro. 
    Insurance is dearer too. 
    If you are planning on bringing over your car I would suggest you check out the car tax bracket over here first. It's not on emissions it's cc's. 

I would say that groceries are similar to premium uk supermarkets prices but food quality is far far superior to the uk. There are butchers everywhere with fab meat cuts and the supermarkets own meats are excellent. ‎Sausages aren't as good though, small price to pay. :)
    ‎Alcohol is very expensive here!! 

You will find for the first few months you are back an forth to Castlebar as the council, car tax etc. is‎ all there. We are almost as far south of Mayo as you can go and it's a pain to drive to Castlebar for the council, solicitor and bank!!  

Well the best of luck to you and your family. 

If you need a fab solicitor ‎who managed our purchase for us while we were in the UK drop me a pm. 

Fiona & Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Very interesting reading there Medusa.

Just on the car tax thing pre-2008 cars are taxed on engine size while post 2008 are on emissions. ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers Big Nasty I couldn't remember the cut off year on tax. All of ours are much older so a new one is under consideration once we have settled in properly and finished the building work.

I have to honestly say this is the best decision of my life. I left Co Wexford with a heavy heart in 1983 to find work in the UK so to now be back is fantastic.

Reluctantly agree, take a look n the Whats on in Achill facebook page. There are details on a meeting that some are trying to organise re wild Rhubard elimination. Might be something there you could follow up on.

What's wrong with you people? Rhubarb is awesome! :)

Big Nasty wrote: »

From reading the OP it sounds like the rhubarb may be taking over the septic tank perc area. Definitely not something you would want as it would be expensive to re establish as new perc area.

But I love Rhubarb personally and I wish I had some in my own plot.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    It's invasive, huge in size and extremely difficult to kill once it takes root on your land. It has destroyed whole tracts of land elsewhere in the area.

• Advertisement

Call me Al wrote: »
    It's invasive, huge in size and extremely difficult to kill once it takes root on your land. It has destroyed whole tracts of land elsewhere in the area.

Yeah, but rhubarb and custard, rhubarb crumble, rhubarb jam, etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its 2 different kinds of rubharb.

Anyway the way to kill it is cut it down at the root level and spray the cut mark straight away with roundup. The cut mark forms a scab you so need to spray it before that happens. This wway the roundup gets into the root and kills the plant. Seen it work as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

In respect of your broadband there is a provider called westnet that provide a service using some kind of receiver on your rooftop. Two of my brothers use it , one of them who lives near Nevins pub near mulranny. It's good in that it provides a good stable link although I don't' think its super-fast but adequate enough. You could try 3 mobile broadand first which is very good if your near a mast in a town like Castlebar for example but if your in a more rural setting and it can be a bit rubbish in spots because of hills and the distance from the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭irishgeo

colossus-x wrote: »
    In respect of your broadband there is a provider called westnet that provide a service using some kind of receiver on your rooftop. Two of my brothers use it , one of them who lives near Nevins pub near mulranny. It's good in that it provides a good stable link although I don't' think its super-fast but adequate enough. You could try 3 mobile broadand first which is very good if your near a mast in a town like Castlebar for example but if your in a more rural setting and it can be a bit rubbish in spots because of hills and the distance from the mast.

Westnet needs line of site to one of their masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Welcome to Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi Reluctantly Agree good advice above.

We moved back 7 years ago (just on the crash :)) best thing we ever did.

Wish you well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭muddle84

Same as everywhere else in the country price them all and if you really want the cheapest you would have to change at least every year.
    Shop and around and try all of them. For mobile coverage, go pay as you go and try all the providers. There is a lot of coverage black holes in that area so 3 might work best where you are and a mile down the road it could be vodafone.
    Not sure on this one, I think bourke waste removal is who my parents use. But I also think Walshs service down there and barna.
    This should show up in your engineers report if work is needed on it or not. Depending on where you are I think there is a sewerage scheme in Mulranny. So check it with your engineer.

5. Will my kids have to leave us to find work when they grow up, or has anything changed economically for Mayo
    It depends what they want to work at. There is big pharmaceutical and medical device companies in Westport, Castlebar and ballina. And some other small industries. I am from there and am trying my best to get back there but there is not as many opportunites when you live down there. But if they love the place like most people from there do then they will probably never leave!!

For the "Rhubarb"
    It’s called wild rhubard because its leaves look a little like rhubarb Its not even edible. But its not rhubarb at all the proper name for it is Gunnera. It is an invasive species and just like rhododendrums was brought into the country for the exotic gardens in the big houses. It eventually spread into the surrounding areas.

Never spray Diesel onto the land, not to mention it’s a horribly wrong thing to do from an environmental point of view, there is also big fines if you are caught.
    To get rid of the Gunnera, cut it down close to the root and spray round up straight into the stump. It’s easy enough to cut with a slash hook. You will have to repeat this until it stops growing back. If there is some of it in your neighbours land it will never stop growing back unless you and all your neighbours try and get rid. But if you are going to do something with your land, veggies or even cutting the lawn regular, that will also keep it at bay.

This is why there is group’s trying to setup a mass cull of it on Achill. The mass cull will however have to be repeated again and again to get rid of it.

I have no doubt you won't regret the decision moving there. Beautiful beaches in that area, achill is only down the road, westport in the other direction. Murivaugh beaches is one of my favourite places for a walk when I am home. Friendly people everywhere around you. Not to mention the greenway, your kids will be able to get from one end of the village to the other without the worry of them being on a main road!

The best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 reluctantly agree

thanks to everyone for their advice and taking the time to comment on this thread! We are getting there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

We've just pushed the button to buy a smallish house in Mayo near Mulranny - 1/2 acre plot with lots of room to grow veggies.

Ive lived in London for almost 20 years.
    Everything has changed. Dublin wasn't for us, so we chose rural setting.

Anybody help me with the following?

5. Will my kids have to leave us to find work when they grow up, or has anything changed economically for Mayo?

6. what to do about the dreaded rhubarb? Our garden has quite a large bit of it at the bottom, taking up 1/3 of the space. A local told us to pour diesel on it but that would probly ruin the land which I hope to use to grow stuff on. Its encroached onto the area where the septic tank is too. Ideas?

We hope to be living in our new home by June and when we arrive with the kids we
    wont have services turned on yet but thankfully it will be warmer by then. Need to sort out all this before we arrive and not after.

If you know England prices, can anyone comment on the variation between UK and Irish prices of goods including petrol, home heating oil, services etc?

Any help would be really appreciated.

1: bonkers.ie is a comparison site. Most will do a good introductory offer for 12 months with direct debit and e-billing required to get the cheapest rate. Change provider once that period expires.

2: phone line broadband where you are will probably be fairly expensive and poor quality. See if you can get westnet in, they are 35 euro for a 2 mb line, 45 for 4mb. Its not super fast at all but it is very reliable and unlimited.

4: Ask your surveyor if your s is up to standard. If it is not you'll need to upgrade it eventually or face a fine.

5: depends on their field, but staying in Mayo will limit their opportunities, same as anywhere outside major cities.

6: Gallup 360 is far far cheaper than roundup and has the exact same ingredients (360 g/l of glyphosate) - you'll buy it in any co-op for 30 euro per 5 litres, rather than the 50 roundup costs. You can add a drop of washing up liquid to it, it'll help it stick. Don't make the mixture too strong or you will actually retard its effectiveness. Buy a pump sprayer form the co-op to put it down, costs maybe 20 euro. Don't use diesel, thats just crazy advice :/

just fyi on the pre 2008 car tax - your 08 car needs to have been registered past june of 08 to avail of the newer tax bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 inkdog

We moved from Yorkshire in August last year. People seem to have covered most issues but here's my input on the rubbish. We are two adults and a six year old child. We don't create enough rubbish to warrant a waste contract which costs quite a lot. We sort our rubbish as we produce it and stash it in the shed until we have a car full then take to the local tip. You pay per bag and it works out a lot cheaper for us. Some paper stuff can be burnt in the stove/fire and glass jars and bottles can be taken to recycle banks for free(loads of these about in supermarket car parks and community centre car parks).

If you can afford it get a stove with a backboiler to heat the hot water and radiators to save money on oil which is expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 inkdog

6: Gallup 360 is far far cheaper than roundup and has the exact same ingredients (360 g/l of glyphosate) - you'll buy it in any co-op for 30 euro per 5 litres, rather than the 50 roundup costs. You can add a drop of washing up liquid to it, it'll help it stick. Don't make the mixture too strong or you will actually retard its effectiveness. Buy a pump sprayer form the co-op to put it down, costs maybe 20 euro.

Sorry to hijack thread but would this method work well with the dreaded brambles?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

inkdog wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack thread but would this method work well with the dreaded brambles?

Grazon 90 would get rid of them, but its a lot more expensive.

You could inject Gallup directly into the stem, or cut them all back, dig up the larger roots and then just spray the ground a few weeks after to catch any you missed.

Advertisement