Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike advice urgently needed

• 14-03-2015 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I am going to look at a couple of bikes this afternoon with my brother as I am buying him one. I am looking for a ranking order on the bikes listed on the site

http://www.ggrippy.com/bikes-for-sale.html

If it is against rules to post a site I understand but it is a genuine question as I want to get him a decent bike as he is only starting out.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Hard to advise as the frames are of different size but I'd be of the opinion the Vitus (new wheels, 105 shifters, front derailleur) would be top of the pack for parts and price followed by Specialized Allez. Specialized says it has Shimano 105 components but the chainset doesn't look like 105 to me. The rest look to be on par with each other although I only had a quick look.

Obviously test ride it for 10mins at least and go up and down through all the gears, test brakes, check for chain wear (ideally have a chai wear tool). Find out has the headset been serviced recently. That's the bearings inside the frame for steering. Make sure they're not stiff. Lift the front of the bike off the ground and tilt to left and right. The bike should steer to left or right according due to gravity easily enough. This will indicate headset is in good working order. Also, pull the front brakes and push forward and backwards gently to check for play in the headset. If you can feel lateral movement in the steerer the headset needs to be either tightened or replaced. This last point is very important. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Hard to advise as the frames are of different size but I'd be of the opinion the Vitus (new wheels, 105 shifters, front derailleur) would be top of the pack for parts and price followed by Specialized Allez. Specialized says it has Shimano 105 components but the chainset doesn't look like 105 to me. The rest look to be on par with each other although I only had a quick look.

Obviously test ride it for 10mins at least and go up and down through all the gears, test brakes, check for chain wear (ideally have a chai wear tool). Find out has the headset been serviced recently. That's the bearings inside the frame for steering. Make sure they're not stiff. Lift the front of the bike off the ground and tilt to left and right. The bike should steer to left or right according due to gravity easily enough. This will indicate headset is in good working order. Also, pull the front brakes and push forward and backwards gently to check for play in the headset. If you can feel lateral movement in the steerer the headset needs to be either tightened or replaced. This last point is very important. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice! I will ckeck what you mentioned. I was thinking of the Defy 3 or the Diamondback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Very hard to look past the Specialized in my honest opinion.

The only strange thing about it is that seat post.. It looks strange and it's probably one of the first things I'd checlk that there is no damage around that area. Those frames are rock solid..

<snip>
    Another connection has the distribution for Sensa bikes in Ireland and that might work for you too. I have just bought a set of wheels from him and his service was brilliant..

Similar story, you would be getting a very good spec bike for less than 2/3 of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yeah I'd second the spec. I'm not a massive fan of them but probably the best ready to go bike there.

If he's looking at throwing a few quid at it an upgrading I'd probably get one of the giants.

<snip>
    http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/1558/cube-peloton

0006899_2015_cube_peloton_race_300.jpeg

Advertisement