Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google search results question

Options
  • 14-03-2015 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I brought my ipad in Australia at Xmas and used it there for maybe 10days before heading back to Ireland. Recently when doing a google search all the first results i get are .com.au results rather than .ie or .co.uk. It seemed to start after the power went out one night because when the power came on and i was on a uk website it kept saying 'it looks like you are visiting us from the USA, would you like to visit our US website?' Down the bottom of the google page it has my location correct but i'm still getting .com.au results unless i specify ireland in my search. Any ideas on what setting(s) i need to change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Technofobe wrote: »
    1. Do a search on Google.
    2. Scroll down to the bottom of the search results page where you can find the current location that Google has for you. The location may be coming from your IP address, your Location History, your Wi-Fi connection, or any locations you've set at www.google.com/preferences.
    3. To update your location, click Use precise location or Update location.

Thanks, i had already done that and it has the name of my estate as the location, but still getting .com.au results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

mel.b wrote: »
    I brought my ipad in Australia at Xmas and used it there for maybe 10days before heading back to Ireland. Recently when doing a google search all the first results i get are .com.au results rather than .ie or .co.uk. It seemed to start after the power went out one night because when the power came on and i was on a uk website it kept saying 'it looks like you are visiting us from the USA, would you like to visit our US website?' Down the bottom of the google page it has my location correct but i'm still getting .com.au results unless i specify ireland in my search. Any ideas on what setting(s) i need to change?

I dont use an ipad but sounds like your location services may be acting up

Location Services (iPhone and iPad only)

Location Services is a setting on your iPhone or iPad that lets your device share its location with the apps you use. If Location Services is turned off, Location Reporting and Location History won’t work.
    Follow the steps below to turn Location Services on:
    1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad SNP_007FB15FD2D94883E8936738D7C3E75DF5F5_6012333_en_v1.
    2. Touch Privacy > Location Services.
    3. Make sure the Location Services switch is on.
    4. Touch Google > Always.

Also try
    Go to Settings - General - International - Region format - <chose your region, eg, United Kingdom>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Go to Settings - General - International - Region format - <chose your region, eg, United Kingdom>

Advertisement