Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 World Cup - Day 29 - UAE v WI, IRE v PAK

Options
  • 14-03-2015 10:59am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭

41st Match, Pool B: U.A.E. v West Indies at Napier
    Mar 15, 2015 (11:00 local | 22:00 GMT -1d)

42nd Match, Pool B: Ireland v Pakistan at Adelaide
    Mar 15, 2015 (14:00 local | 03:30 GMT)

This is the one we've all waited for!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Rain, rain down on us now

But if not rain, the performance of a lifetime. Because they stand on the brink of representing Ireland in a team sport on the world stage in a way no team has managed since Italy 25 years ago...

http://youtu.be/WO4tIrjBDkk

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Bookies giving odds of 3.5. Similar to our chances of beating the Windies. It can be done with mettle luck & sweat!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Think we need the rain in the UAE game to save us sadly.

I would have been hugely confident of beating Pakistan a few weeks ago especially after they got spanked by India and West Indies but not now as they are on a roll especially after they beat the Saffers.

Jamshed was a free wicket, but he is gone, Safaraz his replacement is the type of player who will maul our bowling, and in bad luck for us Wahab is back in form for the first time in ages.

Its the bowlers which I fear for the most, just not good enough sadly.

Hopefully we will see Mc Brine back tonight for Thompson, given up on seeing Young anytime soon.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭thomasj

KevIRL wrote: »
    Rain, rain down on us now

The best chances of a washout seem to be the west Indies uae game where cyclone pam is on her way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

But if not rain, the performance of a lifetime. Because they stand on the brink of representing Ireland in a team sport on the world stage in a way no team has managed since Italy 25 years ago...

http://youtu.be/WO4tIrjBDkk

We made the last 8 in 2007 didn't we?

colm18 wrote: »
    We made the last 8 in 2007 didn't we?

Oh yeah, but that was really in the back of one remarkable result. If we do it this time, it'll be on the back of beating 3 test sides, I think it would be a much more impressive achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Never been to a cricket match before in my life (only learned the rules at xmas) but I'm in adelaide for 2 weeks so I'm going along to the pakistan game tomorrow :)

Oh yeah, but that was really in the back of one remarkable result. If we do it this time, it'll be on the back of beating 3 test sides, I think it would be a much more impressive achievement.

Or possibly 2 if the weather helps us....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its the bowlers which I fear for the most, just not good enough sadly.

Unfortunately we have no throwing games in Ireland, from which a few bowlers might come, no American football, no Olympic handball, and the good shotputters and discus throwers that we had a century ago have been consigned to history.
    But even if we had throwers it probably wouldn't make any difference, such is the pathetic state of co-ordination between the various sports here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

feargale wrote: »
    Unfortunately we have no throwing games in Ireland, from which a few bowlers might come, no American football, no Olympic handball, and the good shotputters and discus throwers that we had a century ago have been consigned to history.
    But even if we had throwers it probably wouldn't make any difference, such is the pathetic state of co-ordination between the various sports here.

You don't get any cross over from any of those sports in other countries either!

You don't get any cross over from any of those sports in other countries either!

Our batting isn't bad, thanks in some degree to a few converted hurlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

feargale wrote: »
    Our batting isn't bad, thanks in some degree to a few converted hurlers.

Or is the other way around? You do know that Kilkenny county was a hotbed of cricket in the 1800s with numerous village and town teams - before the GAA got going and reinvented hurling :) Basically after WW1, cricket declined and hurling took over in KK!

The GAA also governs rounders, not nearly as popular as it could be, but allied skills to some extent at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Fingers crossed for a good result later - I reckon we can do it, with a bit of luck and seizing our chances.

BarryD wrote: »
    Or is the other way around? You do know that Kilkenny county was a hotbed of cricket in the 1800s with numerous village and town teams - before the GAA got going and reinvented hurling :) Basically after WW1, cricket declined and hurling took over in KK!

The GAA also governs rounders, not nearly as popular as it could be, but allied skills to some extent at least.

Indeed. Cricket apparently was Ireland's most popular sport from the social collapse caused by the Famine, including a decline of hurling, until the foundation of the GAA. Due to the prevalence of cricket in Kilkenny that hurling giant was asleep for the first 20 years or so of the GAA. Many of the great Kilkenny hurlers of the twenties and thirties, including Lory Meagher, were sons of cricketers. Crossover can work both ways and to the benefit of both sports as a player usually abandons one because of an inadequacy in his play.
    Rounders is confined to a few pockets in Tipperary, Tyrone etc.. You might do better here trying to recruit from shinty!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Any word on the likely weather in either game?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Dry as a bone for ours. Chance of drizzle in the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Figsy32 wrote: »
    Any word on the likely weather in either game?

Windies game starts at 11am over there, Cyclone Pam set to hit at about 7pm.
    Depends on if the few bits of drizzle during the day are enough to stop play.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Dry as a bone for ours. Chance of drizzle in the other.

Small bit of a pity but I suppose if we're going to do it, we may as well do it on the field.

Hopefully bat first, get through the first 15 or so overs relatively unscathed and then kick on to post round about 300 is our best chance?

If we can get it to the closing stages I would back us every day against Pakistan who can be so flaky.

WI win the toss and will field

• Advertisement

No Chris Gayle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

And that is that folks, 0.000000000% chance of the rain or the U.A.E doing us a favor. All up to us now to beat Pakistan.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    And that is that folks, 0.000000000% chance of the rain or the U.A.E doing us a favor. All up to us now to beat Pakistan.

Yep looks that way. Set fair(ish) but West Indies clearly intending on getting UAE out asap and knocking off the runs quickly before any rain might arrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

KevIRL wrote: »
    Yep looks that way. Set fair(ish) but West Indies clearly intending on getting UAE out asap and knocking off the runs quickly before any rain might arrive

Also if we beat Pakistan they still need to win by a decent margin to finish ahead of Pakistan on NRR.
    Hopefully that will cause them to make a few mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jacques kallis looking well. Looks like a completely different man

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Guess we can only hope the UAE bat the 50 and get a 250 plus score.

I'm so nervous/excited for tonights game!! :D

Come on the UAE! Shaiman aanwar to be the hero

UAE living on the edge here already. Although some sloppy fielding and bowling already from WI is good to see from our POV

Taylor bowling well. Just get thru him unscathed and try score off holder

• Advertisement

Well that wicket was coming

Advertisement