Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 World Cup - Day 29 - UAE v WI, IRE v PAK

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Going for a New Zealand v India final.

Time for Ireland to be made a full test nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

even a couple that aren't on the same level as Ireland.

What, like England?!! Oh no wait....they're a test team. Momentarily forgot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

QUARTER FINAL LINE UP

19 - Ind v Ban
    vs
    20 - Aus v Pak

18 - SL v SA
    vs
    21 - NZ v WI

The tie that stands out for me is the Aus v Pak tie ....Left arm pace v Left arm pace

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sufa

Shrap wrote: »
    What, like England?!! Oh no wait....they're a test team. Momentarily forgot ;)

It's just different cricket cultures, that's all.

Personally I am far more excited about the test tour to the West Indies starting next month and the contests again New Zealand and of course Australia in the summer than I ever was about the world cup. Other England fans I know are the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Jacovs

booth70 wrote: »
    QUARTER FINAL LINE UP

19 - Ind v Ban
    vs
    20 - Aus v Pak

18 - SL v SA
    vs
    21 - NZ v WI

The tie that stands out for me is the Aus v Pak tie ....Left arm pace v Left arm pace

Is that showing who will face each other in the semi's too? 19 vs 20 and 18 vs 21?

• Advertisement

Jacovs wrote: »
    Is that showing who will face each other in the semi's too? 19 vs 20 and 18 vs 21?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Sufa wrote: »

Personally I am far more excited about the test tour to the West Indies starting next month and the contests again New Zealand and of course Australia in the summer than I ever was about the world cup. Other England fans I know are the exact same.

Ah, I was messing! I know your team have a finger in every pie and the world cup isn't the be all and end all. I just enjoy slagging matches with my English bf about this, that's all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Jacovs

booth70 wrote: »
    Yep

Its a bit confusing. Because from the world cup website it says

Semi-final 1 Winner QF1 (A1 v B4) v Winner QF3 (A3 v B2)
    Semi-final 2 Winner QF2 (A2 v B3) v Winner QF4 (A4 v B1)

But then QF1 isnt actually A1 vs B4, its A3 vs B2. And QF3 isnt A3 vs B2, its A2 vs B3.

Its a bit confusing. Because from the world cup website it says

Semi-final 1 Winner QF1 (A1 v B4) v Winner QF3 (A3 v B2)
    Semi-final 2 Winner QF2 (A2 v B3) v Winner QF4 (A4 v B1)

But then QF1 isnt actually A1 vs B4, its A3 vs B2. And QF3 isnt A3 vs B2, its A2 vs B3.

That's bcos they preordained the venues for the QF'S for the Group A teams bcos Group A had the two hosts and NZ and Aus as hosts had the right to play their respective QF's at home

So Australia were destined to play their QF in Adelaide and NZ their QF in Wellington irrespective of who their opponents were and irrespective of where they finished in the group

Similarly England would have played their QF in Melbourne (Ban qualified in their place so go to Melbourne) and Sri Lanka head to Sydney

Still boils down to A1 v B4 and A2 v B3 etc but in a convoluted way !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

So, have Ireland and Afghanistan's efforts done enough to encourage the ICC to reconsider the 2019 tournament format?

Would a 12 team tournament work as a compromise? Two groups of six. Fewer games, a shorter tournament and, to be fair, the UAE and Scotland didn't bring a whole lot to the party. If Ireland couldn't get past those two to qualify then they maybe wouldn't deserve to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Might be even longer than that, next world cups will only have the 10 teams.

Hopefully we aren't entering a decade of cricketing darkness then. ICC cabal doesn't want to grow the game only the bank balance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

So, have Ireland and Afghanistan's efforts done enough to encourage the ICC to reconsider the 2019 tournament format?

Would a 12 team tournament work as a compromise? Two groups of six. Fewer games, a shorter tournament and, to be fair, the UAE and Scotland didn't bring a whole lot to the party. If Ireland couldn't get past those two to qualify then they maybe wouldn't deserve to be there.

U talking down Scotland and UAE to make a case for Ireland to get full test status,that's the same as SA,AUS,NZ,IND,SL turning around and saying Ireland aren't good enough cos we will hammer then 10 times out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Pakistan were excellent. Needed them to have a terrible day but from ball one it was never on. Porterfield was superb, just needed a few more partnerships.

I'm the same. I watch cricket for what happens at the sharp end and that doesn't include really white ball stuff. Some great series coming up in the next year.

Saying that I'm excited about the remainder of this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Well that's true - because of the politics and setup, Ireland and other Associate teams are very much focused on the limited overs game.

We should give England a reasonably good run for their money in the upcoming ODI.

But if we took on England in a five day test match, we'd be down the hatches in jig time.

Bit unrealistic for people here to mock the English team too much, even if it's good fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

BarryD wrote: »
    Well that's true - because of the politics and setup, Ireland and other Associate teams are very much focused on the limited overs game.

We should give England a reasonably good run for their money in the upcoming ODI.

But if we took on England in a five day test match, we'd be down the hatches in jig time.

Bit unrealistic for people here to mock the English team too much, even if it's good fun :)
    They are bringing what is basically a second string team. Ireland have been close each time they've played them in the last few years and they usually bring at least half their first team, none of them have to come over this time. It's sad that the ECB aren't taking this game seriously but there are major ranking points and a place above Zimbabwe at stake!

But yeah, if we played England in a 5 day test they would school us. Our bowling attack just isn't good enough to take 20 wickets. Our batting line-up is definitely good enough to post a decent total but it wouldn't matter unless you can take the 20 wickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

marc96 wrote: »
    U talking down Scotland and UAE to make a case for Ireland to get full test status,that's the same as SA,AUS,NZ,IND,SL turning around and saying Ireland aren't good enough cos we will hammer then 10 times out of 10

I'm not talking them down at all and I'd prefer the current format to be kept. I'm just suggesting 12 teams as a possible compromise. If Scotland and UAE performed better over the next four years they'd deserve to be there on merit instead of Ireland or Afghanistan. But at least there would be the opportunity for a few associate nations to play rather than the currently proposed situation where all of them plus Zimbabwe will basically be chasing one spot in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Another great journey with some fantastic results. At the start of the group 3 wins were targetted and we got that. Unfortunately West Indies got that win over Pakistan. We pin pointed West Indies in the first game and it was satisfying to see Ireland deliver with a bit of expectation on us. Zimbabwe was one we needed to make our mark on and UAE was essential even if it was a bit close for comfort.

Happy overall. In terms of 2019, I'm sure they'll probably push it out to 12 teams after a bit of horse trading. Hard to generate momentum for a competition with so many format changes in every edition and blocking tactics to try and prevent the likes of Ireland and Afghanistan amongst others from progressing. I think we have probably seen the best days for a while in Irish cricket though. By 2019 we probably won't be in a position to spring any major surprises even if we do qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Hopefully we aren't entering a decade of cricketing darkness then. ICC cabal doesn't want to grow the game only the bank balance.

That's a convenient misrepresentation when Irish Cricket took a cheque from england to stay out of the one day game. Maybe if we had more than half a dozen one-day games against the top 8 since the last world cup and had that much more experience we might have progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Never been to a cricket match before in my life (only learned the rules at xmas) but I'm in adelaide for 2 weeks so I'm going along to the pakistan game tomorrow :)

Just woke up after the game. What an atmosphere! My voice is gone from all the singing. Pity we couldn't get across the line but great to be in with a shout coming into the last match. The irish fans were amazing, singing right up until the last ball, everything from Thompson, Mooney and O'Brien to the Home & Away song :D I'm not going to pretend I know a whole pile about cricket but I'm proud of the team after this world cup showing and it was great to watch my country over here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Devastated it's all over :( but in the grand scheme we have to be immensely proud of the lads. Knocking off West Indies and Zimbabwe really should have been enough but it was not to be.

Positives

Our batting attack is dangerous. Ports and Joyce are proper class acts and the O'Briens are always good at scoring runs

Our future is safe with Stirling,Balbirnie, Dockrell and McBrine. The are all fantastic players

This team has heart and fight unlike any other.

Negatives

Bowling isn't up to par. Change and Young need to produce for the national team.

We seem to lose wickets at bad times. Can't claim inexperience as Wilson, Joyce, and O'Brien are serious players. Maybe more odis needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well while we were one of the worst bowling teams there, I think it's worth keeping in mind that these were some very unhelpful bowling conditions for an attack such as ours, and we're not going to be playing in these conditions again for a long while I'd guess.

I do think the balance of the team needs to be look at though, I am a big fan of both Mooney and KOB but they bowled a lot of overs and batted poorly, one should make way for a proper bowler I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Well while we were one of the worst bowling teams there, I think it's worth keeping in mind that these were some very unhelpful bowling conditions for an attack such as ours, and we're not going to be playing in these conditions again for a long while I'd guess.

I do think the balance of the team needs to be look at though, I am a big fan of both Mooney and KOB but they bowled a lot of overs and batted poorly, one should make way for a proper bowler I think.

Yeah I love Mooney but we simply had to many all rounders and not enough front line bowlers. Not helped though by Murtagh going down on the eve of it, although would have liked to seen Young have a go.

Ah well, it was a fine effort and very proud:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Change and Young need to produce for the national team.
    I don't want to be that guy because the rest of your post was spot on but Chase and Young weren't even given a chance. The scary thing is that from if you don't include them 1-9 are actually good with the bat. Thompson was included ahead of them because he is good with the bat but every player on the Irish team can produce a knock which for any team, never mind an associate, is an asset.

Simmons, as much as I love him as a coach, was far too conservative in that regard. Yes, you need the batsmen to perform but you need bowlers that can take wickets. Young (and to a lesser extent Chase) are capable of doing that and not even giving them a chance was a bad decision. We have a very strong batting line-up from 1-9, which is rare as the tail is normally terrible in ODI. But not putting Young and Chase (or one of them in) cost us. They would have got wickets. Very good World Cup but they could have served us well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Field east

Do not know much about cricket. Am following current World games. Looked at some sites to try and get to understand how it is played , etc.

Would appreciate if someone will explain how Pakistan beat Ireland by 7 wickets. I thought that the winner was the team that scored the most runs!

Please also recommend a good website that explains the game in very simple terms .

Field east wrote: »
    Do not know much about cricket. Am following current World games. Looked at some sites to try and get to understand how it is played , etc.

Would appreciate if someone will explain how Pakistan beat Ireland by 7 wickets. I thought that the winner was the team that scored the most runs!

Please also recommend a good website that explains the game in very simple terms .

If the team batting first beats the team batting second then the result is in terms of runs scored

Eg : Team A bats first and scores 250 runs ...... Team B needs 251 to win but get bowled out (i.e lose all their 10 wickets) for 225..... Team A wins by 25 runs

If the team batting second beats the team batting first then the result is in terms of wickets

Eg : Team A bats first makes 250 .... Team B needs 251 to win and reaches 251 losing 3 wickets (which means they still had 7 wickets to spare) .... Therefore Team B wins by 7 wickets

Check out the following website for all u need to know about the game

http://www.rulesofcricket.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Probably one of the most important articles you will read about a potential cut in teams

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/843807.html

Essentially it dissects the idea that the associates are a financial drain on the world cup with serious research.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Devastated it's all over :(
    But it's not all over. You can now enjoy the rest of the tournament without having to worry about run rates, or team X beating team Y to improve the chances of Team I. You don't even have to practice that rain dance any more ....

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

I'm looking forward to catching up on some sleep.

The 3.30am starts have been a killer!

Advertisement