Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5L mini kegs

Options
  • 14-03-2015 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hey,
    Does anyone have experience with the 5L mini kegs out there?
    https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/minikeg-and-bung-p-351.html

I wonder, when you "bottle" into them does the same principle apply as for bottles? I mean would you still add the appropriate amount of priming sugar for second pressure fermentation, do those plastic / rubber bung's hold the pressure in the keg's or do I build nice indoor beer spring fountains?

I believe I've read somewhere that you store "larger" amounts (kegs) for second fermentation in a cold room not in room temperature anymore.

Does "larger" apply then to 25L or 50L (brewery style) kegs?

Any hints please from someone who uses the 5L kegs?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've used them in the past. You just treat them exactly as if they're large bottles. Scale up the amount of priming sugar and condition them exactly the same way. It's even possible to re-use the ones you buy with beer in them: everything comes apart and can be cleaned and reassembled.

The bungs are secure, but you do need to chill the beer well for serving or you get lots of foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I've got a set and two things to look out for;
    Carb them on the low side, the cans can deform if there's too much pressure.
    Once they're tapped, the seals aren't great so you'll probably need to drink it all in the one evening.

TBH, I don't think they're great. I've got corny kegs now and they're way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

Thanks for that guys will have a look at 1 or 2 of the 5L kegs and a air pressure draft system for the beginning.

Advertisement