Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm Certificate limits on cartridges

Options
  • 14-03-2015 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

With regard to the number of shells one is entitled to possess, I am wondering how I go about getting an extension to the meagre (from a clay shooters point of view) 100 rounds which I am currently licensed to hold. I know several guys who can hold 500 cartridges..!? I enquired in my local Garda station when I last renewed and was told that was all I could have end of story, anyone got their Certificate's extended?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You just ask for your Superintendent to increase the limit and tell him/her why you need the increase. That's literally all that's involved. And 100 is definitely not the end of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Sparks wrote: »
    You just ask for your Superintendent to increase the limit and tell him/her why you need the increase. That's literally all that's involved. And 100 is definitely not the end of the story.

Cheers mate, that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Commissioners guidelines recommend a max of 700, ie for competition shooters. As previously stated contact the Super, they are the ones to decide not the guard. You can do this anytime not just at renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

I applied for 5000 with my last gun, they gave 2500 so not to bad 😊
    Just write a letter telling them why you need more, it worked for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

1000 on mine. Ive long ago learned what the FO says is sometimes misleading . You'll also get told " oh the super will never allow that etc ", be polite and say you'd like to argue your case and you'll write an accompanying letter. You'll need to have a reasonable reason for the increase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

I wrote a brief letter to my local Super and dropped it into the station. Basically it just stated that I wished to do more clay shooting and in light of this there would be cost and practical considerations were he/she to allow me to purchase and possess a higher number of shotgun shells.
    Thanks for all the advice, we shall see what the Super says!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

I have 500 on mine I applied for 500 with my sub application and it was granted without a letter but you can apply anytime with a letter of your reason for needing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I got 200 on my license a number of years ago. I contacted the Super office by letter explaining my reasons for requesting an increase, boxs of 500 etc. I received an amended license for 700 within a week. 100 rounds is ridiculous - you wouldn't even get a clay shoot out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 international shooter

knockon wrote: »
    100 rounds is ridiculous - you wouldn't even get a clay shoot out of that.

Ya would if ya were good. Haha. I'm not implying I'm good but some guys out there could do it...... Every now and again.

With regard to the number of shells one is entitled to possess, I am wondering how I go about getting an extension to the meagre (from a clay shooters point of view) 100 rounds which I am currently licensed to hold. I know several guys who can hold 500 cartridges..!? I enquired in my local Garda station when I last renewed and was told that was all I could have end of story, anyone got their Certificate's extended?

I've 2000 on mine but as the guys or girls mentioned already you have to have a good reason to need that many or to just increase the number at all. I got it increased because I was able to prove that I needed them. The FO at my local barracks said that the reason they initially give such low allowances and think bad of increasing it is because they look at it from the point of view of 'what if there was a robbery where you store the shells, that's a lot of ammo for a criminal' which is just ridiculous because, assuming you have slabs of 28g shells, each slab is 2.8kg not including packaging weight and most Crimes are smash and go. So I can't imagine that the burgular will bother carrying more than one slab if even that. If you do fail on that however you can apply for a European firearms pass, it's completely free, and I think the lowest allowance for those is 500 (don't quote me on that though) and that's independent of your firearms licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

f you do fail on that however you can apply for a European firearms pass, it's completely free, and I think the lowest allowance for those is 500 (don't quote me on that though) and that's independent of your firearms licence.

Yes but that doesn't override national limits

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BoatMad wrote: »
    Yes but that doesn't override national limits

Not only that, the limit on your europass is totally superceded by the limit on your home country's licence. The former covers how many rounds you can travel between EU member states with; the latter covers how many you can possess at any one time. If your europass says 200 and your licence says 100 and you try to go through customs with 101 rounds, you're breaking the terms of your original licence, thus rendering it null and void, and the europass it's based on is now also null and void, and you're now in possession of unlicenced firearms and ammunition in a customs checkpoint.

So yeah, not a great way to start a Monday, that. With a single round, odds are nobody wants to go through that much paperwork at six am on a Monday, but you rock up with 2000 rounds and a licence for 100, and things are probably going to be a bit less smooth.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Also, most European Firearms Passes don't specify an ammunition limit. I don't know where this idea that you automatically get 500 rounds comes from.

I've had 3 EFPs from 3 different districts over the years and none of them have mentioned ammunition. There's no part of the pass where you even could put a limit in, except for "Observations" I guess and I've no idea why a Garda would write in a number there that wasn't already on your cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

assuming you have slabs of 28g shells, each slab is 2.8kg not including packaging weight

They must be the lightest 28g cartridges in the world :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

I know I have the ammo limit written into the observation section of the EFP and it matches the quantity on my Firearms Licenses

Strider wrote: »
    They must be the lightest 28g cartridges in the world :pac:

Haha thanks for pulling me up on that. What I should of said is 7kg. Looks like some one had they're weetabix before reading this.

Advertisement