Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour pigments and behaviour issues

• 14-03-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I saw this link on the APDT Ireland FB page, it is a very interesting read, although quite a lot of it went over my head, it is very sciencey (sp). It has long been a standing joke with huskies that the reds are a bit mad, seems as though maybe it has some basis in fact. :eek:

http://www.simplybehaviour.com/colour-pigments-linked-to-behaviour-problems/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

That's really interesting! I'd always thought it was a kind of 'anecdotal fact' that red animals could be a bit mad, fascinating to know there's science behind it. I always wondered why red limousine cattle had a tendency to be cracked! And not to forget the tortie troubles of the cat would, I would assume it's the same due to them having partially red colouring. Thanks for the link muddypaws!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have definitely observed common traits in cats of the same colour.

Ginger cats seem to be fairly laid back, affectionate and dog like.
    Black cats are often skittish and a bit liberal with their claws.
    Torties are noisy, needy and a bit ferral.

A friend of mine, who never met my cats, correctly guessed our tortie's colouring over the phone by the racket she was making!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Same here, we have a very laid back and soft, big old cuddle monster of a ginger (any others I've known have been the same), and a very noisy (nicknamed shouty cat) tortie, very skittish grey, and well the other is tabby and white and homicidal tendencies would best describe him.

I think my bigger dog should be red going by the above, he's mostly white with brown and black tppied ears and tash, but he's mad as a hatter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Let's not forget the age-old wisdom about chestnut mares too, they have a reputation for being feisty and temperamental :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I read that too but then thought, my dogs aren't mad!! Maybe I just have them well trained :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

As a redhead myself I can personally confirm we are fiesty and moody, I can go from pleasant to, well, not so pleasant in about 0.3 seconds for no apparent reason :P

I'v heard before about red limousins and chestnut mares but often wondered the science behind it. Very interesting, wonder does it stand true for humans too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Have not noticed any differences in the Borders but I can safely say that the brown roan Spinoni are definitely more stubborn then their white & orange/ roan or white Spinoni.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Zapperzy wrote: »
    As a redhead myself I can personally confirm we are fiesty and moody, I can go from pleasant to, well, not so pleasant in about 0.3 seconds for no apparent reason :P

Lol, I'm lack that too, but I'm blonde(ish... the greys are making their presence felt too :()
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Would notice an obvious difference in temperament between red and grey squirrells as well now that you mention it!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Would notice an obvious difference in temperament between red and grey squirrells as well now that you mention it!

They are two different varieties though, not just a different colour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've noticed our 2 tuxedo cats have a tendency to pile on weight. Our tabby and white chap and black girl are lean and very active where as they are built for speed the tuxies are more lazy.:)

Knine wrote: »
    They are two different varieties though, not just a different colour.

Well yes, but both being squirrels nonetheless, the red ones are really wild and hyper! I always remember when we were little, you'd never get approached by a red, only a grey!

From what I have experienced, topaz fancy rats exhibit way more hyperactivity than some of the other breeds. Mine were Himalayan and were bonkers in their prime, but when I met a friend's three topaz girls, they were cracking off walls! :pac:

The Abyssinian Guinea Pig is also quite unlike other piggies. They are much more outgoing, lively & chatty then the norm. The boars less likely to tolerate company of their own kind.

The Red & Grey may both be squirrels but their differences are not related to their coat colour.

Knine wrote: »
    The Abyssinian Guinea Pig is also quite unlike other piggies. They are much more outgoing, lively & chatty then the norm. The boars less likely to tolerate company of their own kind.

The Red & Grey may both be squirrels but their differences are not related to their coat colour.

I know, just throwing around trivial anecdotal ginger vs not situations :P

Guinea pigs are one of the few small furries that I haven't owned actually. In fact, it might be the only one I haven't kept as a pet!

Advertisement