Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting on E-sports

Options
  • 14-03-2015 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has ever done this?

The main companies, such as paddy power, and bet365 (real difficult to find it on their site but its there under special-world) are getting in on it a bit. but it seems more to be dipping the toe into the water kinda way. They dont keep an eye on prices too tightly and it seems there is a good potential for arbitrage.

Could there become a cheltanham equivelent of E-sports? Not that I bet on the ponies, but I would def be a bit more interested in something that I have a big interest in already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wonder how much they'd actually let you bet. When bookies are dipping their toes in new markets like this, their limits tend to be very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I wonder how much they'd actually let you bet. When bookies are dipping their toes in new markets like this, their limits tend to be very low.

ur right, its very very very low

for example, cs go game was on last night, I hav a few quid in the betting account just to see what its like as I like watching the games.

2 teams

Favourites are always like 1/12 or 1/25
    so 12euro to win 1 euro, or 25 euro to win 1 euro

the guys their facing, are always just below evens or around evens, so odds are bad on both sides
    not only that, out comes of the games are affected because some players cheat which we might not know about until ages after when bets are already settled,
    some people who betted are ddosing players that are playing

max stake aloud I think was 200 dollars (yes dollars) on the favourite and 400dollars on other team. (that was that 1 particular game, others might be more or less) But 200 dollars on a 1/25 shot? 8 euro back if you win? for 200 quid, no point

Again, its only new so market is all over the place, their probably testing the waters, hopefully it extends to the likes of call of duty, fifa and other big games.

But for now, its not worth betting on, unless you're betting small just for abit of extra entertainment.

also the amount of kids on the site that actually bet on the favourites everytime thinking its a sure thing also makes me laugh as well when their team loses :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Stakeswise it's probably low but oddwise I think you could probably see some decent punts.

Haven't looked at the recent bets but PP did a special on the lauch of Super Street Fighter IV and I got 3/1 on a result that was about as guaranteed as you could make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wonder what the odds are on Daigo even making Top 8 at Evo this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I wonder what the odds are on Daigo even making Top 8 at Evo this year.

Ryu isn't top tier anymore, and when he goes flavour of the month like Yun or Evil Ryu, he struggles. Coupled with the fact that Evo is not the little indie event it was ten years ago as you know......the field is stacked way more now. The top 8 is different every year for a reason. Some of the big names always miss out and Daigo is not immune to this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Kirby wrote: »
    Ryu isn't top tier anymore, and when he goes flavour of the month like Yun or Evil Ryu, he struggles. Coupled with the fact that Evo is not the little indie event it was ten years ago as you know......the field is stacked way more now. The top 8 is different every year for a reason. Some of the big names always miss out and Daigo is not immune to this.

You can never really count out the beast. All that's happened lately is other people have caught up with him over time imo.

I don't think betting against him hitting top 8 is ever a good idea (although, yes, it does happen- he got 9th in the Capcom Cup).

Advertisement