Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can 18 year old Secondary School students be prosecuted for not attending school?

Options
  • 14-03-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am an 18 year old in 6th year who wishes to stop attending school from now until my Leaving Certificate in order to study at home. I have researched the topic of attendance and have found that there are legal obligations on parents to get their children to attend school.
    I have learned that "Tusla" - "Child and Family agency" are informed of the attendance of secondary school students by the schools themselves. If a child has missed more than 20 days of school Tusla will investigate the reason behind absence.

I have been more or less given the all clear by my school that I can stay home and study.
    My only concern now is Tusla...
    Are they still able to investigate my attendance even though I am no longer a child? Do they have any control over 18 year old secondary school students in this regard?

Please reply if you have any knowledge of this topic, especially if you know whether Tusla have authority over 18 year old students! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

attendance at school is only obligatory to the age of 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

I know this isn't the answer you were lookonfor, but have you really thought staying at home to study through properly? a few weeks before is fine but 10 weeks is a bit much.. And the whole social aspect of school is crucial during such a tough year, further isolating yourself won't do you any favours!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

My eldest son was 19 by the time he did his leaving cert and like you he chose to study at home as way to much distractions in the class room, mainly students who didn't want to be in school any longer and so caused mayhem for the teachers but also for other students.
    So for him it was far easier to stay home and study, plus his school was almost an hour away and given the fact he had a lot of free classes it made more sense as over all he could get more work done.
    Unfortunately the education officer didn't agree, nor did the school liaison officer, who then started threatening with social workers !
    I was amazed given the fact he was over 18 and therefore an adult !
    By the time all the meetings were finished and arguing was done, he was well into his exams, most of his teachers agreed with what he did but you will always get one or two who refuse to listen to reason.
    But good luck with your studies do what is best for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OP - not really answering your question but don't study at home. By all means study out of School but most people need the get up and go of studying somewhere other than home.

Is there a local library you can go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

As someone who left school early and regretted it ever since; I would suggest you reconsider trying to go down this route.

Why do you not want to attend school for the next few months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 theyok

Thank you for all who responded! I appreciate the help! I've sorted out my confusion so now I can do my thing without any worries that I'm going against the law :P
    attendance at school is only obligatory to the age of 16.

Hey Brian, yeah I had come across that but I had read that Tusla continue tracking the attendance until you are 17 so I was worried that maybe they do continue for 18 year olds. After emailing them, they told me that 18 year olds are beyond their remit, Yes!
    Thanks for your reply.
    Almen11 wrote: »
    I know this isn't the answer you were lookonfor, but have you really thought staying at home to study through properly? a few weeks before is fine but 10 weeks is a bit much.. And the whole social aspect of school is crucial during such a tough year, further isolating yourself won't do you any favours!

I know what you mean! But yes I have thought about it and I am doing it currently and it is going well. For me, I can get more work done at home, and I know I'm isolating myself from the rest of my classmates but that doesn't bother me too much.
    Thanks for your concern.
    My eldest son was 19 by the time he did his leaving cert and like you he chose to study at home as way to much distractions in the class room, mainly students who didn't want to be in school any longer and so caused mayhem for the teachers but also for other students.
    So for him it was far easier to stay home and study, plus his school was almost an hour away and given the fact he had a lot of free classes it made more sense as over all he could get more work done.
    Unfortunately the education officer didn't agree, nor did the school liaison officer, who then started threatening with social workers !
    I was amazed given the fact he was over 18 and therefore an adult !
    By the time all the meetings were finished and arguing was done, he was well into his exams, most of his teachers agreed with what he did but you will always get one or two who refuse to listen to reason.
    But good luck with your studies do what is best for you.

Jeez I'm sure lucky then that my school isn't making a big deal of it!
    I appreciate your story! That's what I want to avoid, people on my back about attending school. I'm not trying to go against system or anything. I just know that this is better for me! After getting a reply from Tusla they told me that 18 year olds are beyond their emit!
    I can now study at home in peace. Thanks for your support, all the best to you too!
    ronivek wrote: »
    As someone who left school early and regretted it ever since; I would suggest you reconsider trying to go down this route.

Why do you not want to attend school for the next few months?

In order to be more productive in studying for the Leaving Certificate! Don't worry I'm not dropping school. Thanks for your concern, it's all sorted now.
    OP - not really answering your question but don't study at home. By all means study out of School but most people need the get up and go of studying somewhere other than home.

Is there a local library you can go to?

Yeah going to the local library works well! If only all my books were there! It's far easier for convenience sake with all my books and copies, to study at home. I have a strong mindset so I don't get distracted easily and at least then I can have a tea break when needs be and do things in my own leisure. Thanks for advise, I'll be going to the library whenever the house is busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

So glad that you have got it all sorted, and without any worries of people on your back too, it will make it so much easier for you to study.
    Good luck with your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Hey, I was wondering if you know whether of not they track 17 year olds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Your post kept popping up in recent activity for past few days so I said id have a nose to see what all the crack is about after reading your threads and comments for no entire reason other then I'm bored in work here I have to say best of luck with your study and you seem like a genuinely well mannered and sensible young man so fair play and keep up the hard work it will pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Just make sure the school has you registered to actually sit your exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I'm not trying to put you off as such; but various studies and my own personal experience would suggest that simply studying as much as you possibly can is not a particularly good way to enhance your knowledge or improve your exam performance.

In addition you're at risk of isolating yourself socially which can bring its own problems once the exams are actually over and you're suddenly left to your own devices and facing a disconnection from your peers.

Maybe you genuinely do know the best way to study and maximise your performance; but as a 17/18 year old I certainly didn't and I'm still paying for my ignorance over fifteen years later.

If you do decide to study exclusively at home I suggest you spend at least a couple of days studying how to study; there are plenty of resources out there with various guides on different approaches and techniques. Here's a good lecture which outlines some of the research findings; it has some practical tips too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlU-zDU6aQ0

Best of luck no matter what you decide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is very important, especially with orals coming up.

ronivek wrote: »
    I'm not trying to put you off as such; but various studies and my own personal experience would suggest that simply studying as much as you possibly can is not a particularly good way to enhance your knowledge or improve your exam performance.

In addition you're at risk of isolating yourself socially which can bring its own problems once the exams are actually over and you're suddenly left to your own devices and facing a disconnection from your peers.

Maybe you genuinely do know the best way to study and maximise your performance; but as a 17/18 year old I certainly didn't and I'm still paying for my ignorance over fifteen years later.

If you do decide to study exclusively at home I suggest you spend at least a couple of days studying how to study; there are plenty of resources out there with various guides on different approaches and techniques. Here's a good lecture which outlines some of the research findings; it has some practical tips too:

Best of luck no matter what you decide.

Hey yeah I've been studying well for the past while and now will continue on that.
    The lecture video is really good thanks! It's nice to be reassured that I am going about my studies the right way as I am doing many of the things that he says in video!
    I'm all good,
    thanks for help.

Thanks yep sorting that out this week actually! Thanks!

oktplz wrote: »
    Hey, I was wondering if you know whether of not they track 17 year olds?

I know The Child and Family Agency are meant to record all attendance of children so they should record your attendance but whether they are able to actually do anything to get you to go to school is another thing.
    It probably depends on your circumstance as well.
    Parents are under a legal obligation to bring their child to school until the child has done at least three years of secondary schooling(usually until the age of 16).

I also know that The Child and Family Agency maintain a register of children aged 16 and 17 who leave school early to take up employment and makes arrangements for their continuing education and training in consultation with providers and employers.

The main way I see you being contacted is if your school are specifically concerned for you and they contact The Child and Family Agency about you.

Why do you want to know this anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭raymick

hi can you tell me how you got on i'm in 5th year and know that i can study better at home as classes are full of idiots just out to cause distraction and act the fool. I have had enough of this environment I will drop subjects with practical work. I just mentioned it to my tutor today and he said i would not be able to come back for my exams i'd have to find some where else I do t know if that is a way to put me off. Will i just put my name down at a different exam centre or get my parents to meet the principal I am 18 surely I can make my own decision, my parents are very supportive and know I am serious about doing as well for myself as I can in life and school.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

raymick wrote: »
    hi can you tell me how you got on i'm in 5th year and know that i can study better at home as classes are full of idiots just out to cause distraction and act the fool. I have had enough of this environment I will drop subjects with practical work. I just mentioned it to my tutor today and he said i would not be able to come back for my exams i'd have to find some where else I do t know if that is a way to put me off. Will i just put my name down at a different exam centre or get my parents to meet the principal I am 18 surely I can make my own decision, my parents are very supportive and know I am serious about doing as well for myself as I can in life and school.

A quick google would tell you all you need to know about sitting exams as an external student. That makes me question your commitment.
    https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ca&sc=ec

Are you going to work from home when you discover your office is also full of idiots?

What office do you work in i'll make sure I stay clear if you can't answer without sarcasm don't bother you obviously have no experience in relation to home schooling.

raymick wrote: »
    What office do you work in i'll make sure I stay clear if you can't answer without sarcasm don't bother you obviously have no experience in relation to home schooling.

So you won't steer clear if I can answer with sarcasm? I better answer with sarcasm.

sorry without punctuation you obviously cannot understand simple english. If you can't answer without being sarcastic don't bother answering, is that better and yes I plan on working from home and there are other jobs that involve working in an office. I am looking for somebody with experience in the topic thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

OP, if you do plan to study at home for the next 2.5 months, that's your decision. First off, TUSLA are not going to care if you are attending school or not 8 weeks before your Leaving Cert. That is the reality; you are not a priority, the 13 year old who has missed 30 days of school this year is. Not the students who are nearly finished.

If you find that you are faffing about after a week, then you'll know home study isn't for you, and you should go back in and follow the timetable. One thing I would say as a teacher though is that if you decide to work at home, don't rock up to Chemistry or French or Maths etc in the middle of May after being out for 6 weeks and expect the teacher to drop everything to help you go through a topic to suit your study timetable, and not the timetable of revision they have planned to work through with the class as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 topgolfer101

So you won't steer clear if I can answer with sarcasm? I better answer with sarcasm.
    First of all the question was in regard to a school and their decision based on their policy not to allow someone to sit their leaving cert in that centre, something which a "simple google" won't tell you. Since you are questioning the lack of commitment, you might first want to look at your own situation as "google" isn't a verb and sounds like you lacked the commitment in school not him. Also, if people in your office are giving you work problems as stated in your posts, you might want to check your attitude towards others as talking like this to people clearly hasn't won you many people over. Stop spending everyday on Boards.ie and maybe spend some time on your people skills.

First of all the question was in regard to a school and their decision based on their policy not to allow someone to sit their leaving cert in that centre, something which a "simple google" won't tell you. Since you are questioning the lack of commitment, you might first want to look at your own situation as "google" isn't a verb and sounds like you lacked the commitment in school not him. Also, if people in your office are giving you work problems as stated in your posts, you might want to check your attitude towards others as talking like this to people clearly hasn't won you many people over. Stop spending everyday on Boards.ie and maybe spend some time on your people skills.

Lol :rolleyes:
    Why don't you answer his question so? Did you not cover it in transition year yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Why don't you answer his question so? Did you not cover it in transition year yet?

Honest to fcuk, can ye take your bickering to PMs rather than clogging up the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 topgolfer101

You think you'd be embarrassed enough not to reply but that was just awful... do yourself a favour and delete your account now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

topgolfer, do yourself a favour and read the Boards guidelines for posting, especially the one which says in big bold letters "Be civil!"

Not that you're the only offender in this thread, just the worst one.

Thread fails to meet the basic rules of Boards re: civility, let alone the standards of co-operation and mutual support we would aspire to in this forum.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement