Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodder opening day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

Welllmade1745 Do you mean its not allowed using maggots ? Since when ?

No no it's perfectly legal but the die hard anglers and all the fly anglers don't like them as they feel that the people using them end up killing baby wild trout as they get deep hooked because they gobble down the maggots

They'd also be of the opinion that maggots are a coarse bait and not a river bait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bazzer_1984

Welllmade1745 Oh i get you now i'd probably use what is best are worms better than maggots do you know like at this time of the year ?

Welllmade1745 Oh i get you now i'd probably use what is best are worms better than maggots do you know like at this time of the year ?

All I know is that from what ive seen in 5 days since paddys day is that worms have been catching the majority of fish.

Welllmade1745 Good stuff i shall go for worms then they last longer in water compared to maggots ??

Welllmade1745 Good stuff i shall go for worms then they last longer in water compared to maggots ??

Oh yeh defiantly- much longer.
    Be sure to collect your own worms the ones from the fishing shop are rubbish.

• Advertisement

Welllmade1745 Not sure how id ever do that any ideas please
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

cheers

Washing up liquid mixed with water make sure its foamey, and pour it over a section of grass or earth,come back a minute later and worms will have pushed up out of the ground.alternatively just check under stones or bits of wood in your garden,if you have a compost heap try digging into it.

cheers

Just find a patch of grass in your garden or outside your garden and pour a LOAD of water mixed with washing up liquid and wait about 10 minutes then go back out and the worms will have come to the top of the soil, just pick them up, but be sure to wash them off because the soap will kill them If left too long.

Welllmade1745 Cheers mate that will save me going over to my local fishing shop . where do you purchase your fishing gear ?

Welllmade1745 Cheers mate that will save me going over to my local fishing shop . where do you purchase your fishing gear ?

The expensive stuff(rod, reel , plugs ) I buy online.

The everyday splitshot and hooks etc - I solely use south side angling.

• Advertisement

Welllmade1745 Buying online any decent websites you could recommend ones that i can trust ?

Welllmade1745 Buying online any decent websites you could recommend ones that i can trust ?

You can't go wrong with the Glasgow angling centre online site.

Welllmade1745 I take it its cheaper than Ireland whats the shipping like cost ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Their shipping costs are very low. Have a look on site and you'll see.

It Varies but it's not too bad ( depends what you buy) only really worth buying online if your buying expensive gear or a lot of gear.

Welllmade1745 any chance you could post a link ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Welllmade1745 any chance you could post a link ?
    http://www.fishingmegastore.com/index.html

Srameen Cheers mate looks like a good site are they cheaper than ABC fishing tackle or south side anglers fishing shops ?

Srameen Cheers mate looks like a good site are they cheaper than ABC fishing tackle or south side anglers fishing shops ?

Yes if you buy certain items- if your just buying hooks etc you won't notice it but if you buy a rod,reel or expensive lures you will notice it

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

You might want to take into account how weak the euro is at the moment. It could make things that little bit more expensive.

• Advertisement

Welllmade1745 i'll check out there stock when i need to more than likely i'll purchase most of my fishing gear from them thanks again mate

jack01986 does that facebook link sell fishing gear ?

jack01986 does that facebook link sell fishing gear ?

No it doesn't. I've bought stuff from the Glasgow store online before. Its one of the better websites out there.

jack01986 whats that Irish Angler Facebook like page your posting links for thought it was selling fishing gear

jack01986 whats that Irish Angler Facebook like page your posting links for thought it was selling fishing gear

Its part of my signature so its under all of my posts. I wasn't putting it there as a link for you to buy stuff from it sorry.

jack01986 No worries i was just curious

Just had an idea there- has anyone used any of these powerbait products before ???, saw them Online the other day and was wondering if they'd be any good on the dodder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Just had an idea there- has anyone used any of these powerbait products before ???, saw them Online the other day and was wondering if they'd be any good on the dodder?

I've been looking into them too,some people swear by them,I've seen a video of a lad catching sea trout in a harbour with it.

I've been looking into them too,some people swear by them,I've seen a video of a lad catching sea trout in a harbour with it.

Yeh the paste you buy in the jars seems to work wonders in the U.S. but never seen it used over here before- I think it's about a fiver a jar in south side angling- but that's not bad as it seems you get a lot out of it( sure the pint of maggots is 4 euro)
    Has too be worth a try ??

• Advertisement

Welllmade1745 Is South side angling not closed down ? thats the shop in walkinstown right ?

Advertisement