Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodder opening day

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

Welllmade1745 Is South side angling not closed down ? thats the shop in walkinstown right ?

No no no, south side has been open 25+ years and is located on cork/Ardee street, top class shop with a huge selection and choice of gear.
    Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bazzer_1984

Have any of you guys used the fishing tackle shop in Terenure might pop down there tomorrow just wondering if its any good ?

Have any of you guys used the fishing tackle shop in Terenure might pop down there tomorrow just wondering if its any good ?

You talking about "duo hook " if so the results are very very mixed.

For hooks/split shot etc its s slightly more expensive than elsewhere.

The reels are quite reasonable in price with some lovely models on show.

They plain lead jig heads come in a variety of weights and sizes for I beleieve a Pack of 3 for 1.50.

The soft plastic lures are quite competitively priced from some lower end (still perfectly functional packets-1-2:50 euro) to the higher end of a fiver or so.

The metal lures (mepps , blue fox etc ) come in a variety with some "Jaxon models retailing for about 1.50 (there perfectly functional) to 3,4 euro for the official Mepps. They also have some very nice metal spoons and Dexter wedges. For very low prices.

The hard plastic lures is where they come Into there own. The are all of a great quality with prices ranging from 4/5 to 25++ Euro, with a massive array of sizes,colours,types,shapes etc

So basically I reccomend you call in and have a look around, it really is the kind of shop that you really have to go Into and look around, you're bound to pick up something.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Yeh the paste you buy in the jars seems to work wonders in the U.S. but never seen it used over here before- I think it's about a fiver a jar in south side angling- but that's not bad as it seems you get a lot out of it( sure the pint of maggots is 4 euro)
    Has too be worth a try ??

Damn I only had a delivery beside south side angling today and didn't go in because I checked there website and it didn't show that they stock it,I'm assuming it would be better for stocked fish rather than wild ones but who's to know.

Damn I only had a delivery beside south side angling today and didn't go in because I checked there website and it didn't show that they stock it,I'm assuming it would be better for stocked fish rather than wild ones but who's to know.

That's not a certainty, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it in there.

• Advertisement

That's not a certainty, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it in there.

The Berkley trout dough stuff?

The Berkley trout dough stuff?

Yeh or some thing very similar anyway.

It would be interesting to try when you get a day were they won't take anything.for a fiver it would be worth a go.will drop into south side next week or see if the tackle shop in swords has any.

It would be interesting to try when you get a day were they won't take anything.for a fiver it would be worth a go.will drop into south side next week or see if the tackle shop in swords has any.

Yeh I'll hopefully get out too get some this week and and try it on Saturday.

I've also wondered if meal worms would be any use- again big in the US

Yeh I'll hopefully get out too get some this week and and try it on Saturday.

I've also wondered if meal worms would be any use- again big in the US

I'd say they would work pretty good,had two 2lb trout yesterday on worms wouldn't touch the minnow at all,though saying that they aren't stocked in the river that long.

• Advertisement

I'd say they would work pretty good,had two 2lb trout yesterday on worms wouldn't touch the minnow at all,though saying that they aren't stocked in the river that long.

Yeh I use worms all the time- but do you know of anyone using meal worms- their the kind used to feed birds and such.?

Yeh I use worms all the time- but do you know of anyone using meal worms- their the kind used to feed birds and such.?

No but I used to fish with an old guy who used to swear by leather jackets something similar to a meal worm,and some other worm like insect whose name escapes me at the minute he told me he used to get them by old stone walls,used to be funny seeing him running up and down the river bank checking all the old stone walls lol

No but I used to fish with an old guy who used to swear by leather jackets something similar to a meal worm,and some other worm like insect whose name escapes me at the minute he told me he used to get them by old stone walls,used to be funny seeing him running up and down the river bank checking all the old stone walls lol
    I'm going to get some of them in the pet store and give them a try- will let you know the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Trout don't need to be around minnow to know they're edible. It's the movement of a minnow in the water which triggers the predator in the fish. Last paddys day I had minnow and ended 3 hours with well over 15 fish all stocked fish.
    It's the movement not the actual minnow itself.

Trout don't need to be around minnow to know they're edible. It's the movement of a minnow in the water which triggers the predator in the fish. Last paddys day I had minnow and ended 3 hours with well over 15 fish all stocked fish.
    It's the movement not the actual minnow itself.

Never did well down through the years on minnow with recently stocked fish,apart from the odd stockie who's been in the river a year or two,but as soon as a put a worm on bang!changed over twice to minnow yesterday and Nada,zilch,zero

Never did well down through the years on minnow with recently stocked fish,apart from the odd stockie who's been in the river a year or two,but as soon as a put a worm on bang!changed over twice to minnow yesterday and Nada,zilch,zero

Are you just leaving the minnow there?

Are you just leaving the minnow there?

Nope move it every so often or hook so Its spinning

Picked up two jars of it today in a southside angling,"magic bait" its called originally enough,I'm hoping to get out over the weekend and see what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Surely stocked trout cant be that hard to catch ?

All these magic baits etc are a waste of money a worm or minnow is as good as you will get for them , I can't see you not getting fish on the worm then putting up the magic bait /power bait etc and getting a fish

I caught my fair share of stocked trout float fishing bread

popsy09 wrote: »

All these magic baits etc are a waste of money a worm or minnow is as good as you will get for them , I can't see you not getting fish on the worm then putting up the magic bait /power bait etc and getting a fish

Only trying it out of curiosity, I've no doubt I'll return to worms and minnow.

• Advertisement

popsy09 wrote: »

They're not hard an paddys day on the dodder is lambs to the slaughter.
    Blanking on paddys day is unheard of .
    IMO a 1lb wild browny is the real prize on a days fishing on the dodder and I've caught my fair share and all returned.
    Never kept a wild fish.

Picked up two jars of it today in a southside angling,"magic bait" its called originally enough,I'm hoping to get out over the weekend and see what its like

How much did it cost you ??

How much did it cost you ??

Fiver a jar,first time in south side its a fairly well stocked shop.

Fiver a jar,first time in south side its a fairly well stocked shop.

Yeh it's a great place with a massive choice of gear. The lads in there are very helpful also- is it Berkeley stuff you got ??

Yeh it's a great place with a massive choice of gear. The lads in there are very helpful also- is it Berkeley stuff you got ??

No this stuff,smells rank like Balbriggan harbour

http://www.askari-fishing.co.uk/pages/productPage.jsf?productid=fishing/prey-fish-tackle/trout-fishing/trout-fishing-accessories/trout-bait/sensas-magic-bait

Advertisement