Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 Caliber Moderator Suggestions

Options
  • 14-03-2015 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

If anyone out there is using a moderator on a 30caliber, preferably the 30-06, please provide a bit of feedback and recommendations.

I do not know much about moderators: brands, quality, longevity, prices, threads, and all and would appreciate your help or experience.

The barrel isn't threaded. So that's open to opinion too.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Here are a few mods and average prices. They do depend on where you buy them obviously.

• Ase Utra S5/Jet-Z = €380
    • T8 = €270
    • Wildcat Predator = €295
    • ATec Maxim = €300

I have/had all four of them. I've given some observations based on usage and the rifles they were used on below.

An Ase Utra S5 on a .308 & .243
    • Great mod, great results with little to no difference in POI out to 300yds with it on or off.
    • Easy enough to clean.
    • Best sound reduction.
    • Heavy on the end of the barrel.
    • More expensive than most other mods.
    • Tough wearing and will last as long as the owner if treated right.
    T8 on 30-06 and .243
    • Good on the .243 and 30-06, but difference in POI with mod on was 7" at 200yds.
    • Prone to rusting.
    • No more difficult to clean than an Ase, etc.
    • Screws down over barrel so reducing excess weight on the end of the rifle.
    • Has a resonance when fired.
    • Cheapest of the current available stock of mods.
    • Lighter than the Ase.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mil dot

Hauskin is the best in have come across so far for a stalking rifle. Very lightweight. Very good recoil reduction and most importantly best sound reduction.
    M14 is currently in would say is most common tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi I have a new wildcat evo on my sako 75 in 30-06 very happy with it easy to see bullet strikes light enough not to drag the muzzle down when stalking and easy clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Cass wrote: »
    Great mod, great results with little to no difference in POI out to 300yds with it on or off.
    but difference in POI with mod on was 7" at 200yds.

Cass, no difference in POI with respect to what?

Do you mean if the rifle is zeroed without the mod, that putting the mod on causes the above POI?

Also, when zeroed with the mod, if the mod is removed for cleaning or storage, is the POI impacted next time the mod is put back on?

Also, is there a maximum effective range for the mod? Is shooting with one out to 400ya any bother? How about 600ya?

What do you, or anyone else, dislike about the mod when it comes to accuracy, precision, and in general.

Much of the work I do is in the 300-450ya range. Losing accuracy or precision in that range is not acceptable.

FISMA wrote: »
    Cass, no difference in POI with respect to what?
    When i take the mod off there is not a monumental shift in the guns zero. At worse, at 300 yards, perhaps 6 inches. Considering i had a T8 on a rifle that would move the POI 12"+ at 200 yards if you took the mod off, it's not bad.
    Do you mean if the rifle is zeroed without the mod, that putting the mod on causes the above POI?
    Yup, basically.
    Also, when zeroed with the mod, if the mod is removed for cleaning or storage, is the POI impacted next time the mod is put back on?
    Dependign on cleaning regime, at worse, i've experienced a 1/2" if shift in POI but only for a shot or two.
    Also, is there a maximum effective range for the mod? Is shooting with one out to 400ya any bother? How about 600ya?
    None that i know and i've shot mine out to 600 yards. Once the rifle is zeroed, and you dail in for the distance it does not effect accuracy or ability to consistently hit your target.
    What do you, or anyone else, dislike about the mod when it comes to accuracy, precision, and in general.
    My only complaint is heat and the mirage it causes. Due to the size of the mod (twice the diameter of the barrel) the heat from it casues severe mirage, and at longer distances when extra mag is needed it can cause a shift in you POA, hence your POI.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

steyrman wrote: »
    Hi I have a new wildcat evo on my sako 75 in 30-06 very happy with it easy to see bullet strikes light enough not to drag the muzzle down when stalking and easy clean
    +1
    I've one of them wildcat evos and I'm very happy with it. A great mod in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

I would go with the Hausken `Hunter` model
    Put it on my 30-06

Swapped a Sonic 45 for it,noticeable difference in sound reduction and only 400 grams

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

I know its not a 30cal but I have a Hausken hunter on my .223 the mod is rated .243 but is still quieter than a .223 rated Sonic 45. Recoil reduction is very good and there is no change what so ever in POI when on or of the rifle.
    I use it to shoot clays out to 500, 600 and 700 yards with no loss in accuracy. Cleaning is not necessary but if you do decide to clean it you just use some soapy water. John Lambert is the main dealer and they cost 325 euro and worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Anyone here have the Hausken Jakt JD224?

Looks pretty impressive from what I've seen online.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Have one on a 25-06 its the best mod I have seen would definitely recommend the mod.

• Advertisement

DR6.5 wrote: »
    Have one on a 25-06 its the best mod I have seen would definitely recommend the mod.

Is that the JD224?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Yes the jd224 have seen them used on a good few 270s last season quietest mod I have used

DR6.5 wrote: »
    Yes the jd224 have seen them used on a good few 270s last season quietest mod I have used

Reckon I'll be going for one too, if the Super allows it.

The noise and recoil are so reduced with a JD224 on this Blaser .308, the guy trying it out cracks up laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgimWzkJsxM

Jayzesake wrote: »
    The noise and recoil are so reduced with a JD224 on this Blaser .308, the guy trying it out cracks up laughing:

I use one on my 30-06
    tested the Hausken SD magnum against the JD224 Hunter
    I found the JD 224 worked better
    While the reduction is not near anything on that you tube clip, it is the best sound reduction i have gotten out of a moderator to date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

That's subsonic ammo they're using in that vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

What's a Jd224 selling for in 30cal

SeeZee wrote: »

325 e

SeeZee wrote: »

Is that mod calibre specific?

Are all mods calibre specific, or how does that work?

Is that mod calibre specific?

Are all mods calibre specific, or how does that work?

If the mod is rated .30 cal then it can be used on rifles from .30 cal down. If the mod is rated .243 then it can be used on rifles from .243 down. you get best results if you use a mod that's rated for the calibre you have.

• Advertisement

ALANC81 wrote: »
    If the mod is rated .30 cal then it can be used on rifles from .30 cal down. If the mod is rated .243 then it can be used on rifles from .243 down. you get best results if you use a mod that's rated for the calibre you have.

Thanks AlanC.

So if I understand right, each particular type of mod - for e.g. JD224 - has a few different models, each rated for a range of cals., and you get the one that's most closely rated to the cal. of the rifle you want to use it with?

the type of mod is hausken and the model is jd224 and it covers a range of calibres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have the ASE Ultra Northstar in 30 Cal 5/8" UNF. Also use it on my 223. A little lighter than a T8. Same as the S5 but also over barrel so has an expansion chamber. Quiet enough to use without hearing protection and reduces recoil. Paid €275

Vegeta wrote: »
    That's subsonic ammo they're using in that vid.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of subsonic and supersonic ammo?

Am particularly interested in this for .243 calibre.

I presume supersonic shoots much flatter and packs more of a punch?

Anything else to that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

I dont think you can get sub sonic ammo for 243.Its a pretty fast caliber. It all breaks the sound barrier as far as i know. I think sub sonic ammo in any centre fire would be a rare enough thing. Except in Hollywood of course.

Probably the likes of 308 cal would be your best bet to find some in. Or some other slow large caliber. Ive never heard of it in 243. Sub sonic only really applies to .22 lr ammo as thats pretty slow anyway.

I could be totally wrong though.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of subsonic and supersonic ammo?

Subsonic

Pros
    • Quieter than standard/supersonic stuff
    • Works better with suppressor to quieten even more
    • Less recoil

Cons
    • Ridiculously slow
    • Severe drops over short distances
    • Severe drop in impact energy
    • Is no longer deer legal (does not make 1,700 ft/lb)
    • Very hard/impossible to get here
    • Defeats the purpose of the caliber/ Limited usage

Supersonic

Pros
    • Very flat shooting
    • Deer legal
    • Excellent all round
    • Good in windy conditions (good wind bucking properties)
    • Ammo readily available most anywhere

Cons
    • More recoil
    • Louder report

That is about all i can think of.

Thanks Cass, that's the end of that so!

Advertisement