Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer science DIT vs applications DCU

• 14-03-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey, I'm interested in both Computer science DIT and Computer applications DCU. Does any have any information on either course? Things like facilities, hours, academic standards etc. I think for a career i would like to go into something like cyber security or maybe software engineering. Would one course be better for cyber security work? As far as I know from information I've already gotten I think DCU would be better for software engineering.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jamezzyboyoo

Hi Gererf. I'm a DCU CA student.
    I am also looking to do cyber security, the School Of Computing have launched some new masters programs and network forensics is one of them! The Facilities we have are excellent, we have 6 big computer labs, with Linux, OSx and Win7 installed with neccessary software, fastest internet in the Uni and we have our networking Society RedBrick, so we are well catered for. Well for first year, we only had a 4 day week, and the hours wern't that bad! In regards to academic standards, once you do your own work, and keep up with the course, you will be fine! But they are very strict on copying and giving your code to other students.

CA is being overhauled this year, as in the degree is being improved based on what industry want from our graduates. If you choose DCU CA, you will be introduced to (SEM1) Java and Python, Problem Solving Techniques, Computer Systems Hardware, Web Design, IT Mathematics (SEM2) Java and Python, IT Mathematics, Digital Innovation Management Enterprise (DIME), Operating Systems and Networks and Internet.

To be honest with you, I did this research last year, on which places to go to, and I would say that DCU has the best reputation in Ireland for Computing Degrees. We have the best links with industry, our course is practical and theoretical, great facilities and culture and good lecturers and resources. But by all means research DIT! :P

If you have any more questions on CA, feel free to PM me :) I'm one of the Class Reps for CA, so I'd be happy to give you any help I can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vinayak

I got an acceptance letter from DIT for data analytic and from DCU for cloud computing. I am very confused in choosing one over the other. If there is any help i would like to know, which university is better for masters in computer science.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vinayak

I got an acceptance letter from DIT for data analytic and from DCU for cloud computing. I am very confused in choosing one over the other. If there is any help i would like to know, which university is better for masters in computing in respect to career prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jamezzyboyoo

Hi Vin. I can't say much about DIT because I don't know what it's like first hand, so I can only give you a half answer. DCU is well known for it's strong links with industry. The School of Computing in DCU is no exception to this, we have strong ties with various companies such as IBM, SAP, HP and many others. The programs the School Of Computing runs are also well respected within the IT industry. It also to note that our networking Society, RedBrick is very well known in industry and also has many members in various companies across the globe.

Also DIT is not a university, it is an IT, whereas DCU is a university :P However, I would still research Data Analytics in DIT and assess the industry side of things. Also Data Analytics and Cloud Computing are very different programs, you will need to decide which one is tailored to you!

Advertisement