Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucy or Oblivion

• 14-03-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭

gonna watch a movie later with a takeaway. ive seen just about every movie ever made so it was hard to find one. ive chosen these 2 recent movies. neither seem too brilliant but which one do you think is better?

Lucy or Oblivion 16 votes

Lucy
    0% 0 votes
    Oblivion
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Lucy is absolute muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Neithers great but oblivion would get my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i was swaying toward oblivion to be fair. but then again, an excuse to look at scarlett johansson for 2 hours is never easy to turn down :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Lucy wasnt very good. Didn't do anything it was trying to do well.

Oblivion isn't a bad movie, some good scenes and set pieces. The movie has a better structure than Lucy and the story is more interesting.

Oblivion would get my vote.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i was swaying toward oblivion to be fair. but then again, an excuse to look at scarlett johansson for 2 hours is never easy to turn down :D

Watch Under the Skin if you want to see Scarlett in all her glory. Damn fine movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayself

Lucy was better than the reviews I read on it

Havnt seen oblivion though so couldnt compare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Oblivion
    It's a decent sci fi flick and has a great soundtrack.

Decent not amazing but compare it to Lucy which is a great big steaming pile of elephant shîte ...

May give oblivion a watch so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Lucy was absolutely dreadful. It's like someone said, lets do a version of Limitless but with more action but when it came time to actually make it, they'd lost interest and just had to get it out of the way with as little thought as possible. It actually annoyed me it was that bad. And I have fairly low standards, I even like all the Fast and Furious films. I was very disappointed in Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman and especially Luc Besson after seeing it. It made me re-evaluate Luc Besson as a filmmaker and realise that he's very hit and miss, mostly miss.

Oblivion was alright. Wins hands down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

oblivion it is then! cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Neither, if you haven't seen it, but want that theme , go for: Edge of tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Oblivion is one of my rewatched films.

I can’t help but think that is is secretly a sci-fi film masterpiece. It feels so complete. Yet I can't put my finger on why its good, there's a lot of gray unexplored areas, amazing atmosphere and real locations, it's an excellent script that doesn't sequel bait, its slow and builds and wanes and then builds again, the relationships are complex, there's a lot of acting that isn't in the lines. To me it's no surprise that Tom Cruise signed on for such strong work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Ob is the better film. I liked Lucy buts its not as good as the other. Edge of tomorrow is also a great movie for cruise. Ending was surprisingly good.

Big hero six is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

Oblivion is a very good...in a Twilight Zone/Ray Bradbury episode kind of way.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you want something by the numbers and as generic as hell but entertaining all the same go for oblivion if you want something a bit mad and ambitious but doesn't quite live up to those ambitions but is also entertaining go Lucy.

Personally would choose Lucy as it at least tries to be something more than the sum of its parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I liked both, but get Oblivion. (I had to vote for Scarlett though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Personally would choose Lucy as it at least tries to be something more than the sum of its parts.

Yet somehow ends up being less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oblivion is worth watching for the majestic soundtrack alone (albeit the main tune is a rip off of Two Steps from Hell ,Freedom Fighters)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Oblivion is a good film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I really enjoyed Oblivion.

Want to see Lucy, but can't get the misses to watch it, she's convinced it will be dire. In fairness to her, she is normally right.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Oblivion.

Want to see Lucy, but can't get the misses to watch it, she's convinced it will be dire. In fairness to her, she is normally right.

It is absolutely dire. A film that will make you angry at yourself for wasting some of your precious time on this earth watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Adamantium wrote: »

I can’t help but think that is is secretly a sci-fi film masterpiece. It feels so complete. Yet I can't put my finger on why its good, there's a lot of gray unexplored areas, amazing atmosphere and real locations, it's an excellent script that doesn't sequel bait, its slow and builds and wanes and then builds again, the relationships are complex, there's a lot of acting that isn't in the lines. To me it's no surprise that Tom Cruise signed on for such strong work.

Agreed. I really enjoyed oblivion. The first half an hour as it sets up the stage was extremely enjoyable. Bought some of the music which was perfectly suited to the movie.

Reminded me of sunshine in that I enjoyed the dramatic build up then the final act. Also one of the few movies I was hoping an extended edition would come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Adamantium wrote: »

Yup, I really quite liked Oblivion. Only criticism I would level is the unoriginality/predictability.

Acting was sound, set design/props/locations/cgi was fantastic, sound design was amazing (watch with a subwoofer if you can, all those robots and explosions get a hell of a lot more intimidating), brilliant soundtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Zillah wrote: »
    Yup, I really quite liked Oblivion. Only criticism I would level is the unoriginality/predictability.

Acting was sound, set design/props/locations/cgi was fantastic, sound design was amazing (watch with a subwoofer if you can, all those robots and explosions get a hell of a lot more intimidating), brilliant soundtrack.
    oh its not in the least bit original, i cant remember the films, but someone had 5 or 6 films listed before saying if you seen these then youve seen oblivion, it has a very familiar feel to it, but i never really cared about people taking others ideas, as long as they make it work, and it definitely worked here,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Go Lucy, its fast paced, silly and short enough

Oblivion is slow, silly and long enough

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Oblivion is a far better film, Not saying it's great or anything, but in comparison to Lucy, it's just far better.

If, for some weird reason, you don't like Scarlett Johansson, then you can get the experience of watching Lucy simply by watching someone play a video game for an hour and a half with "God Mode" on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For the sake of contrast, I'm going to chime in and say Lucy.

Why?

It doesn't take itself seriously, it keeps its straightforward and uncomplicated story brief and just gets on with it. No, it's not quite as action-packed as the trailer promises, but then again if that's what you want, watch The Raid.

Oblivion, on the other hand, features Tom Cruise being his usual bland self, some admittedly very nice sound and visual design, and a story that takes 2 hours to tell what should have been at most 90 minutes of concepts nicked from other generally-better films (
    Moon, Planet of the Apes and Wall-E
    were the main ones for me but there are arguments to be made about others as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yep Oblivion is pretty forgettable. Nothing new to be seen there. So yeah, Lucy from me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lucy was fuking sh!t

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I really liked Lucy.
    It was far more like SciFi as I would recognise it from short stories and novellas rather than the simplistic crowd pleasers like Limitless.
    Oblivion is great for the same reasons, excellent design, great use of colour and a good story well told, avoiding the massive set piece based efforts that pass for science fiction on screen these days.
    But Lucy was my favoured of the two, though it was definitely mis-sold by the trailer, it is far better seen as a double header with Ms Johansson's other off beat science fiction movie Under the Skin.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But Lucy was my favoured of the two, though it was definitely mis-sold by the trailer, it is far better seen as a double header with Ms Johansson's other off beat science fiction movie Under the Skin.

Lucy shoots is load after its first act and has absolutely nowhere to go afterwards except to do is best to bore its audience. Skip Lucy and just watch Under the Skin - way, way better film.

Advertisement