Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finished my 12 lessons what to do next?

Options
  • 14-03-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Im 19 year old and I just finished my 12 lessons. neither of my parents drive and we dont own a car as for now. and i was wondering would i be better off booking more lessons or just getting a car. i do have a friend with whom i could practise with. i guess the question is how much would my insurance go down once i get full license.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Now that your 12 EDT lessons are done, you can sit your test, as long as you have had your learner permit for at least 6 months. What feedback did you get from your instructor? Does he/she think you are ready to do your test? It is not unheard of for people to pass their test with only doing the 12 EDT lessons and no practice driving, but it is unusual. The more practice driving you do, the odds get better of passing the test on the first go. So I'd do as much practice driving as possible & then do a pre test assessment with an instructor. He will advise you on things that need to be corrected to pass your test. Then sit the test itself, when you feel that you are ready to do so.

Your insurance won't go down by a lot, even if you have your full license. Some of the main things that effect your insurance premium are your age, how many years of driving experience you have & how many years of accident free/claim free driving you have. None of those things will change just because you pass your driving test. So unfortunately, your premium will still be quite high until you build them up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Talk with your instructor regarding what to do next - I would highly recommend doing a number of pre-tests with your instructor and when you think you're ready go for the test.

My advice would be to only book the test when you're ready, the test is €80 + cost of hiring your instructors car. They normally charge about €100 for this so you're looking at €180 expense per test. It's better to do a few more lessons and be sure than do a test and fail which is essentially money down the drain.

Best of luck

Advertisement