Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Retest*2

• 14-03-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

I had my retest today and my car failed it. So I will have to get it retested, yet again. The problem is that they told me that I have time till 19th of this month and today is the 14th - I checked online and saw that there is no slot available before 19th.

Does this mean that I will have go for the full test now? Or can a slot be given to me before 19th? What should I do? Suggestions please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Phone them, they will give you an appointment over the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ash1511

Do you think they will be able to gimme one before the 19th? Coz I will be able to call them on the 16th now as they dont work on weekends!

Yes they will give you a cancellation or squeeze you in somewhere. They are unbelievably helpful with retests

Will try my luck then (as it is it is not with me - failed twice!!)

Thanks duffman13!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

You have until the 19th to book a retest, it doesent mean it has to be tested by the 19th.

As long as you contact them by the 19th to make the appointment you will be covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

ash1511 wrote: »
    Will try my luck then (as it is it is not with me - failed twice!!)

Thanks duffman13!

Did you fix the problem before bringing it back and is it the same problem again not fixed before next test ?

dieselbug wrote: »
    You have until the 19th to book a retest, it doesent mean it has to be tested by the 19th.

As long as you contact them by the 19th to make the appointment you will be covered.

This is not correct - https://www.ncts.ie/q14.html

"Re-tests must be completed within 30 days of the initial test or a full test will need to be repeated and charged accordingly."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

duffman13 wrote: »
    This is not correct - https://www.ncts.ie/q14.html

"Re-tests must be completed within 30 days of the initial test or a full test will need to be repeated and charged accordingly."

It also says that all retests must be booked within 21 days of the initial test. Looks like the OP is out of time.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Did you fix the problem before bringing it back and is it the same problem again not fixed before next test ?

Yes had got the things fixed by a mechanic. However, the NCT guy said that the mechanic has used fiber+glass to weld the panel which is not right. So it was failed again. Although I do not understand the reason (nor does the mechanic), still I don't think I can do anything about it, but pay for a test again.

goz83 wrote: »
    It also says that all retests must be booked within 21 days of the initial test. Looks like the OP is out of time.

Exactly. So how am I supposed to book a retest before the 19th if there aren't any slots available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

ash1511 wrote:
    Yes had got the things fixed by a mechanic. However, the NCT guy said that the mechanic has used fiber+glass to weld the panel which is not right. So it was failed again. Although I do not understand the reason (nor does the mechanic), still I don't think I can do anything about it, but pay for a test again.

sounds like you might have failed on structural corosion, possibly sills?? if so you'll need to replace the rotten metal with new metal and have it welded on.

sounds like you might have failed on structural corosion, possibly sills?? if so you'll need to replace the rotten metal with new metal and have it welded on.

Could be. This panel holds the carburetor. The mechanic said that getting just one piece of the panel is not possible. We might have to get the whole stand for it. I told him to get a piece of metal and weld it to the panel. Any suggestion on this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

ok im not sure, what car is it and what does the NCT sheet say has failed. Any pics of the failure area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Depends really if it was a visual test or not. I had failed once on visual, when I forgot to take off my plastic hubcaps. I drove to the DIY cut the cable ties and stuck the hubcaps in a bag and return to the centre and asked to be squezzed in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah just sounds like a visual re-test to me, get it repaired with a metal piece and drive up, should be able to get it done in 20 mins.
    The other option is to get an engineers report to say that the fibreglass repair is up to standard and the NCT should accept that, you should have gotten a second sheet with your failure sheet for this purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Could be. This panel holds the carburetor. The mechanic said that getting just one piece of the panel is not possible. We might have to get the whole stand for it. I told him to get a piece of metal and weld it to the panel. Any suggestion on this one?
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

slimjimmc wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

+1

Well, I called them today (18th) morning and asked them for a slot. They told me to call back after a couple of hours. Lets see then!

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah just sounds like a visual re-test to me, get it repaired with a metal piece and drive up, should be able to get it done in 20 mins.
    The other option is to get an engineers report to say that the fibreglass repair is up to standard and the NCT should accept that, you should have gotten a second sheet with your failure sheet for this purpose.

I wish it for a visual re-test then in that case I would not have to pay them €28. But the NCT report says that I will have to pay them. Yes it will take just around 15-20 mins but getting a slot for those 20 mins is tough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Have we an update ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I wish it for a visual re-test then in that case I would not have to pay them €28. But the NCT report says that I will have to pay them. Yes it will take just around 15-20 mins but getting a slot for those 20 mins is tough!

How is it not a visual retest? Where is the panel? Do they have to put it on a lift maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

duffman13 wrote: »
    Yes they will give you a cancellation or squeeze you in somewhere. They are unbelievably helpful with retests

This

The web system updates once a day, call centre has realtime systems. They can put you on an emergency list, and they ask you call them once in the morning, afternoon and evening.

I ****ed up and let my NCT lapse, from the point of initial call I was in the centre the following evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BHP

TheDoc wrote: »

The web system updates once a day, call centre has realtime systems.

The website is realtime too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What's the latest?! I'm hanging for an update

The update is this.
    They will have to lift the car to look it from below. Therefore, the money(as I was told)
    After 6 calls and 3 emails, I have managed to get a slot for tomorrow, i.e., 19th - last day of the retest. However, there is still a confusion about the centre. On the call I was told Fonthill but the text says Greenhills!!

During a re-test, do NCT guys recheck what all has already passed? I am talking about engine oil. I think there is a leak somewhere which has spilled some oil. I can see the oil shining on the engine. I am not sure whether it is spilling around or is it normal. The leaking was passed during the last re-test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

During a re-test, do NCT guys recheck what all has already passed? I am talking about engine oil. I think there is a leak somewhere which has spilled some oil. I can see the oil shining on the engine. I am not sure whether it is spilling around or is it normal. The leaking was passed during the last re-test

If its a retest then they can only test the fail items from the original test. I passed a retest with a blown headlamp bulb once, the guy just told me to get it fixed when he gave me the cert.

Anjobe wrote: »
    If its a retest then they can only test the fail items from the original test. I passed a retest with a blown headlamp bulb once, the guy just told me to get it fixed when he gave me the cert.

Haha.. that is a relief then.. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

I always thought the carb was bolted onto the engine block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Haha.. that is a relief then.. Thanks

Eh, I'd still get the oil leak sorted out asap

Latest update:

NCT cleared.. finally! <phew>.. Thank you everyone for your inputs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

cml387 wrote: »
    I always thought the carb was bolted onto the engine block.

I would say the OP meant radiator rather than carburettor.

Probably yet another N16 Almera with a rotten front crossmember.

Advertisement