Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupidest stuff you've bought for you pet?

• 14-03-2015 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure we've all bought stuff and afterwards said WTF was I thinking??! Lets share stories so we don't feel as ripped off lol!!

The other day I was in tk-maxx (no relation ;) ) getting some treats and got a pack of these weird "omega paw dental rings" that they've had the last while. They're like a thick roll of paper/cardboard like you'd seen in a roll of tape with "toothpaste" on one side. Now the dogs are raw fed so have great teeth already but they LOVE ripping up paper and cardboard (which isn't normally allowed except for presents lol) so I figured I'd get the pack for a laugh.. I figured they'd gnaw away at it and break through the ring... Bailey rejected his straight away and Lucy is sat unravelling the whole thing pulling strips off at a time. As I type Bailey's moved over beside and is taking her cast offs and chewing on them :rolleyes: At least they can go in the green bin lol!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Oscar15

I once bought our staffie a basketball sized ball with rope around it. I asked in the pet shop if it was staffie proof and they said yes.....half an hour later it went in the bin on the way back from the park! He enjoyed wrecking it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Leopard print handbag carry-case for Kovu. :o He doesn't fit in it any more as I didn't expect him so grow so long and leggy. Or the reindeer hide mice I get my brother to post me from Finland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I bought Tux an xmas stocking :rolleyes: filled with treats and toys. There were several little bags of treats - milk drops, catnip biscuits, catnip drops etc - she refused all of them. There were little balls with bells in them - she didnt look at them. There was a little glittery mouse with a bell in its tail, she ignored it. There was a fish shaped thing that she ignored too. All in all a total waste of money and effort. She favours little balls of scrunched up newspaper and a long ribbon like piece of red cotton rag, any feed or fertilizer bag that she can crawl in to and jump on, and empty cardboard boxes - discerning kitten!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oscar15 wrote: »
    I once bought our staffie a basketball sized ball with rope around it. I asked in the pet shop if it was staffie proof and they said yes.....half an hour later it went in the bin on the way back from the park! He enjoyed wrecking it though

:pac: A few weeks ago there was these red balls coming down the river almost every day with 'Seniors' written on them - so the kids in the school kicking them over :P They were kind of plastic/vinyl sponge inside... All the dogs went mad ripping them up lol - there's still bits of them everywhere in the park!!

"children there will be no balls for PE until next September because you kicked them all over the wall into the river" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Every car seat cover ever! They just get pawed to the side and stuff hidden under them.

Every cheap football ever, I'm a sucker in heatons for buying footballs for Coco, she loves a big ball, and loves bursting them even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Everything i've bought the cat except the scratching post! I Don't know why but im still on a mission to buy her a toy she'll love. She's had numerous types of balls, tunnel, tent, catnip, soft toys, fethered toys etc. She doesn't even sleep in her bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I bought one of those bubble toys specifically for dogs, with bacon flavoured bubble mixture. I had fun, the dogs weren't in the slightest bit interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Not something I bought myself, but every christmas my cats get something for my uncles dog and vice versa. Last year the cats received a motorised toy where a little stick spins under some material. I thought it would be great, my guys love interactive toys like that. I was so very wrong. Peach and Cream were mildly interested, watching it but not really doing anything. Dude on the other hand was utterly terrified of it. He sat staring at it, jumping every time it moved near him. I went over to give him a reassuring rub but he was so focused on the toy I ended up scaring the sh1t out of him. I have a scar going from halfway up my hand to halfway up my arm. Needless to say the toy went in the bin :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Believe it or not.. collars! My three cats hated wearing them, they must have lost about 5 collars each when we left them outside with them on (those quick release ones)! :pac: They are all naked and happy now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

A selection box....

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I never learn, I constantly buy toys for the 2 of them only to confiscate them about 10 mins later when a fight breaks out!
    Spent 20 euro in lidl on those dental chews and food balls. Total waste of money, Tara chewed the end of one of the chews straight away and went mental every time Elly looked at her food ball!

Although I bought Tara a Kong about 2 years ago which she ignored, but is now playing with as Elly likes it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I never learn, I constantly buy toys for the 2 of them only to confiscate them about 10 mins later when a fight breaks out!
    Spent 20 euro in lidl on those dental chews and food balls. Total waste of money, Tara chewed the end of one of the chews straight away and went mental every time Elly looked at her food ball!

Although I bought Tara a Kong about 2 years ago which she ignored, but is now playing with as Elly likes it...

Sounds like our two. We have a basket of toys that gets played with occasionally, one takes it out, the other wants it.

Tried one of these, but Terry has no idea how it works, useless

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Busy-Buddy-Dog-Extra-Small/dp/B005HP65KW/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426414136&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=Dog+tug+battle+dried+food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

His own bed, why did I buy it when he clearly prefers MY bed, the couch, any armchair or clothes straight out of the dryer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Not something I bought myself, but every christmas my cats get something for my uncles dog and vice versa. Last year the cats received a motorised toy where a little stick spins under some material. I thought it would be great, my guys love interactive toys like that. I was so very wrong. Peach and Cream were mildly interested, watching it but not really doing anything. Dude on the other hand was utterly terrified of it. He sat staring at it, jumping every time it moved near him. I went over to give him a reassuring rub but he was so focused on the toy I ended up scaring the sh1t out of him. I have a scar going from halfway up my hand to halfway up my arm. Needless to say the toy went in the bin :P

If it's the toy I'm thinking of we had the same one, well 2 actually, since the first one broke within days and the seller replaced it, it also ate batteries. Felix and Jazzy were terrified of it then loved it but it was sooo noisy and fragile and the stick bit kept coming off, in the end it went in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've just got one of those for our cats, and although one of them, Buffy, the one I really bought it for, as she's getting a bit lazy in her old age), ignores it completely, Holly goes mad for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Didn't exactly buy it for Bro but 2yrs ago i bought a Budda Bag, ya know these 4ft wide, 3ft high memory foam bags, they go on the site for around 240sterling, i got it for 120 from adverts in perfect condition.

Had it in the gaff for a day before she took it over, it's been in window ever since and is her throne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I bought a mini rugby ball for my dog at the weekend. She wasnt impressed, must not be a rugby fan.

Advertisement