Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMessage Activation issue

• 14-03-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Hey guys , removed my sim today and when i put it back in i get an error for iMessage activation ? Sporadically it wont even log out and back in ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

RVN10 wrote: »
    Hey guys , removed my sim today and when i put it back in i get an error for iMessage activation ? Sporadically it wont even log out and back in ?

Same with mine, seems to be a problem with it. I've tried all the steps that apple support suggest the fix it, and no go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

RVN10 wrote: »
    Are you with o2 by any chance?

The reason I ask is if you are it might have something to do with the recent merger & you may need to get a replacement sim from three.

It could of course be something else completely, just throwing it out there as a possible problem to bear in mind when troubleshooting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm with eMobile.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I'm with eMobile.
    Well that's my theory out the window so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

I followed all apple steps and even started from scratch , nothing has worked, seems to be a big issue going by the Internet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Same issue ! I've tried everything including erasing and restoring the phone!

Rang AppleCare and they suggested loads of things none of which worked. I might ring them this morning and just log it as a fault.

I just switched back from Android and so far I've had nothing but trouble with Apple's cloud services and online services. Can't say I'm impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

I've had exactly the same issue & I'm on Meteor.. also my Mum came back from holiday last night & iMessage isn't working for her either.

Been on to Meteor who say it isn't their issue & Apple have gone through all the troubleshooting steps to no avail..Pain in the rear as Meteor charge for each activation attempt!

So here we are with no iMessage for the best part of the week & no solutions that work. :(

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Same issue ! I've tried everything including erasing and restoring the phone!

Rang AppleCare and they suggested loads of things none of which worked. I might ring them this morning and just log it as a fault.

I just switched back from Android and so far I've had nothing but trouble with Apple's cloud services and online services. Can't say I'm impressed!

It usually works like a charm, to be honest. Which phone company are you with?

I'm on 3

I've been onto Apple and while they're very nice they didn't fix anything.

When I got the phone it was the say of the iCloud meltdown! I'm really not having much luck!!

I'm on 3

I've been onto Apple and while they're very nice they didn't fix anything.

When I got the phone it was the say of the iCloud meltdown! I'm really not having much luck!!

Not just meteor/eMobile so. What iCloud meltdown?

• Advertisement

This one:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/11/apple_itunes_store_outage/

I had no access to iCloud for half the day and then no access to iTunes or AppStore or Mac AppStore for basically a full day. Unfortunately it was the day I had my iPhone 6 delivered so I initially thought it was a dud! Turned out it was just the iThing services...

This one:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/11/apple_itunes_store_outage/

I had no access to iCloud for half the day and then no access to iTunes or AppStore or Mac AppStore for basically a full day. Unfortunately it was the day I had my iPhone 6 delivered so I initially thought it was a dud! Turned out it was just the iThing services...

Ok, the only problem I had was trying to update an app on my Mac through the store, so it didn't affect me too much.

I have been onto Apple who advised me it is the carrier. Got onto eMobile via "chat" who can't do anything because "its a 3rd party app". On to Apple again now, but I won't hold my breath.

I got onto Apple it's not the carrier. Got it assigned to a senior techie etc they're following up.

To test the activation relay text Help to 51369

If you get a message back straight away, the carrier is unlikely to be the issue!

They'll put you through a heap of standard tech support scripted tests first though.

It seems to be a system issue at their side though it's not the phone companies or our devices by the sounds of it!

I got onto Apple it's not the carrier. Got it assigned to a senior techie etc they're following up.

To test the activation relay text Help to 51368

If you get a message back straight away, the carrier is unlikely to be the issue!

They'll put you through a heap of standard tech support scripted tests first though.

It seems to be a system issue at their side though it's not the phone companies or our devices by the sounds of it!

Apple told me it takes 24 hours for it to activate, but that smells of BS to me. The fact that its waiting for activation might explain why the battery life has fallen off a cliff....

BTW. mine wouldn't send to 51368 at all.

To test the activation relay text Help to 51369

in the same boat as yourself then , spoke to a senior tech guy today , great help he was in fairness but has to be investigated further by an engineer it seems. Will call me back he said

Some people on Twitter and elsewhere are reporting issues too.

If that SMS number isn't working you need to get onto your network operator as it would definitely indicate something's not going through.

I suspect it's something to do with the recent outage tbh! It's a bit too coincidental and similar (issues with authentication)

All we can do is keep reporting it to Apple and the network operators can keep reporting it via their channels too.

If you're on the Apple forums maybe start reporting it there too - they tend to pay attention to a big swell of feedback from customers online!

The help message worked for me when i tested it with the agent , ruling out a carrier issue.

It's a pain.. I got my new iphone 6 & was setting it up the day it crashed.. total nightmare, needless to say it's on it's way back to Apple for a refund until they sort their systems out.

Put the sim back into my 5S & iMessage wasn't working on it either.. total 'mare

Did you all setup your iPhones on the day of the AppStore crash? Just hit thanks on this post if you did ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

My mothers iphone 4s is having the same problems, I was made aware when her phone would say facetime unavailable, Looking at her phone it needed activation, I then looked at her emails for the activation email and when i click the link it brings up an error and unable to verify, Its very annoying, So currently her imessage and facetime is going via her email address and awaiting activation for the number.

Shes on vodafone but its nothing to do with them.. Its apples problem by the look of it.

Did you all setup your iPhones on the day of the AppStore crash? Just hit thanks on this post if you did ...

She was registered long before the appstore crash but it seemed to have perhaps started to happen around then.

• Advertisement

Just off the phone to senior advisor in Apple. Looks like some carriers have not updated their carrier settings after the update. French customers show version 18.1, whereas mine, and the advisor who is on 3, show 18.0. He is having the saem issue, BTW. He will definitely ring me back by latest Thursday morning, he is escalating it to engineering now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

whiterebel wrote: »
    Just off the phone to senior advisor in Apple. Looks like some carriers have not updated their carrier settings after the update. French customers show version 18.1, whereas mine, and the advisor who is on 3, show 18.0. He is having the saem issue, BTW. He will definitely ring me back by latest Thursday morning, he is escalating it to engineering now.

Mind me asking where abouts you find the version number?

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Mind me asking where abouts you find the version number?
    Settings -> General -> Carrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Settings -> General -> Carrier

Settings-general-about and look for carrier.:D

As usual, eMobile want nothing to do with it, all Apple's problem. Quite narky pointing out that there is nothing wrong with THEIR 18.0 carrier file. Has to be it, it was ver 18.0 before the 8.2 update which seems to have broken it. I know its not eMobiles fault, but the least they could do is check things out from their side.

Going to be an interesting call to vodafone.

Customer care is gone to check with tech but not holding out any hope. As a side note that text to 51368 is failing for me too.

Lovely, Apple support are telling me that there's nothing wrong with the carrier settings and no update is needed. I'm getting the usual restore the phone after all the other steps are tried.

Text to 51368 failed for me also, I've spent the best part of an hour this morning discussing the issue with a Meteor Agent who told me that iMessage/FaceTime not activating is nothing to do with the network... Agent told me my phone is faulty and needs to go for repair - along with the other 2 iphones in the house with the same issue, definitely not Meteor's issue. They don't know why an SMS is being sent as it's facetime.

Escalated it to a Supervisor who said it's definitely not an issue with the phone or the network. He seemed to think that Apple no longer use mobile number for iMessage & has had me setup again using my email only, will have to wait & see if that works.

From looking online it definitely doesn't seem to be an isolated incident but I haven't found a 'fix' as yet.

• Advertisement

Axel is the name of the senior advisor in Apple that I spoke to this morning......

Advertisement