Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plc course for Dt211?

Options
  • 14-03-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I want to get into this course but i don't think i'll get the points, So ive decided to do a plc.

so i started looking at collages and found a course in Dundrum collage. It has the first year of a computing course which will give me a level 5 and bring me into their next course which is a level 6 computing, Which they state on the website links into Dt211 second year.

However I was looking on the Dit website and it says I only need a level 5, while with this course I need a level 6 before being transferred to Dit.
    It says I only need a level 5 Citxx information technology, So I decided to see if i could find a course that gives me that reward and after a year start in dt211 year 1.

And so I found a course in Ringsend collage, Which is only one year and rewards me with a level 5 Citxx information technology.

The problem I have is that I don't know if the 1 year course in ringsend collage will bring me into Dit because it doesn't say it on their website.
    Meanwhile it is stated through the 2 year course in Dundrum collage that it will bring me into Dit 211's 2nd year.

Ultimately I just don't want to do the 1 year plc course in ringsend and not get into dt211 for some reason, And then be forced to do the course in dundrum for 2 years.
    I've googled around and Can't find any information on this so I'd really appreciate someones help.

Also I was wondering, can i get to dt211 through dt080?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

Have a look at Greenhills College. I was offered DT211 based on their level 5, Information Technology with PC Maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 John_mason

phonypony wrote: »
    Have a look at Greenhills College. I was offered DT211 based on their level 5, Information Technology with PC Maintenance.

Oh I just checked their website, they're like a half hour walk from my house!

What's it like there? How hard are the exams? Is it difficult to get 5 distinctions?

John_mason wrote: »
    Oh I just checked their website, they're like a half hour walk from my house!

What's it like there? How hard are the exams? Is it difficult to get 5 distinctions?

It was an interesting course, I did it 3 or 4 years ago so it has maybe been updated by now, but the programming was Visual Basic and web authoring was HTML/CSS, etc. The school itself is fine, good facilities. A couple of particularly sound teachers. Exams were reasonable if I remember correctly, each module had some continuous assessment element as well as the exam (practical exam, written project, etc.)

If you put the work in you can certainly get the 5 distinctions, I got 9.

It was an interesting course, I did it 3 or 4 years ago so it has maybe been updated by now, but the programming was Visual Basic and web authoring was HTML/CSS, etc. The school itself is fine, good facilities. A couple of particularly sound teachers. Exams were reasonable if I remember correctly, each module had some continuous assessment element as well as the exam (practical exam, written project, etc.)

If you put the work in you can certainly get the 5 distinctions, I got 9.

Sounds good to me.
    Are you more likely to get a place if you have more distinctions?
    Is it like the L.c, you're in competition with other people who have the same cert as you do?

Sounds good to me.
    Are you more likely to get a place if you have more distinctions?
    Is it like the L.c, you're in competition with other people who have the same cert as you do?

Yeah, I seem to remember there being about 5 places available on DT211 that year for people applying with a FETAC 5 award, so if more than 5 apply and have the minimum requirements, those with the best results will be given preference.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I seem to remember there being about 5 places available on DT211 that year for people applying with a FETAC 5 award, so if more than 5 apply and have the minimum requirements, those with the best results will be given preference.

So your best bet is to get 9 distinctions pretty much?

Is there any way of knowing how many people would be applying to dt211?

So your best bet is to get 9 distinctions pretty much?

Is there any way of knowing how many people would be applying to dt211?

No idea how you'd find that out, maybe take a look on the CAO website for required points over the last few years, it won't give you the number of FETAC applicants but will give you an idea of how popular the course is in general.

But I'd certainly aim for all distinctions, push yourself, you'll need a good work ethic going into a 4 year degree. You may as well get the most out of it!

No idea how you'd find that out, maybe take a look on the CAO website for required points over the last few years, it won't give you the number of FETAC applicants but will give you an idea of how popular the course is in general.

But I'd certainly aim for all distinctions, push yourself, you'll need a good work ethic going into a 4 year degree. You may as well get the most out of it!

is 370 popular? I know they have 8 places according to Qualifax, so i should be okay, Just really wouldn't want to do a plc and then go somewhere like IT tallaght - cause i could probably go there on points instead

Yeah that makes sense, and then I'd be better prepared for the degree and it'd probably make first year easier too

Advertisement