Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRV Duct Layout Options

Options
  • 15-03-2015 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

My MHRV supplier has 2 options for their ducting.

1. Rigid duct where each room gets a branch off the main artery. The potential problem with this is noise travelling from one room to another.

2. Semi rigid (I think) where each room gets it's own 'private' duct work. It's like an octopus! Anyway the big advantage is there's no transfer of noise from one room to another.

What's the trend these days is my question really.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

I went with rigid as I was told this is best option, round rigid as opposed to square as air convection is supposed to be better in a rounded path, I was told avoid flexible ducting as spores mould dust and whatever else will get trapped in the duct creases over time. now I have no idea if this is all bulls--t and I am no expert on the issue but that is what I went for. maybe an independent installer might give you a more informed opinion. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

BarneyMc wrote: »

1. Rigid duct where each room gets a branch off the main artery. The potential problem with this is noise travelling from one room to another.

2. Semi rigid (I think) where each room gets it's own 'private' duct work. It's like an octopus! Anyway the big advantage is there's no transfer of noise from one room to another.

Use the radial duct system, less concerns about design losses with elbows, tees etc., its a quieter system, no chance of cross talk and all the duct can be cleaned in the future. Not as easy to clean a solid duct system.

Use the radial duct system, less concerns about design losses with elbows, tees etc., its a quieter system, no chance of cross talk and all the duct can be cleaned in the future. Not as easy to clean a solid duct system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Condenser wrote: »

How is it cleaned? I assume I won't need my duster and Mr sheen?

How is it cleaned? I assume I won't need my duster and Mr sheen?

Zehnder komfortable Raumlüftung: Einfache Reinigung: https://youtu.be/A4UnWiqrpAI

The link is a clip of how the Zehnder system is cleaned but is applicable to all radial duct systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Condenser wrote: »
    Zehnder komfortable Raumlüftung: Einfache Reinigung: https://youtu.be/A4UnWiqrpAI

The link is a clip of how the Zehnder system is cleaned but is applicable to all radial duct systems

Thanks very much condenser, I think I owe you a pint!

Its interesting to see the points in the wall instead of the ceiling.

They're nice, but expensive :)

They're nice, but expensive :)

Advertisement