Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend 3G router

Options
  • 15-03-2015 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I need a 3G router for a holiday home in Donegal and looking for recommendations.

Key needs :
    - Integrated 3G modem/wifi router (i.e one box I put my SIM into & delivers Wifi to the house)
    - Needs to be able to take an external 3g aerial
    - Strong 3G reception/strong Wifi signal

I currently use a Huawei R201 hotspot that I got from VF, but I now use a Three prepaid SIM in it (I find the Three signal slightly better than VF where I am, and their prepay 3G packages are more suitable for my use).

The 3G signal from Three is variable inside the house, and at certain times of day can give me 3mbps, at other times it drops to a few kbps. Furthermore the house is an old stone cottage with thick walls, so the WiFi signal is patchy around the house itself.

I think a decent modem/router with an external aerial will give me a more consistent 3G connection and better Wifi penetration.

I also have a Huawei E5332 which does take an external aeriel, but which seems to have worse 3G reception (with & without the aerial) than the R201 (which does not take an external aerial). I guess I dont really trust these credit card sized "hotspot" devices and am looking for something more robust.

Searches on Amazon etc just seem to show me supposed "3G Wifi routers", that all turn out to require an external modem - and my suspicion is that those USB dongle modems they all use will have similar reception issues. However open to persuasion that may be the way to go.

Any advice gratefully received

Comments

Advertisement